[Iabs-talk] State Division Materials

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 08:21:24 UTC 2008

Joe,

Illinois has a number of interesting and unique programs for  students.

1.  NFBI Scholarship Program: Each year, a number of students  (averaging 5
or 6 the last five years), are awarded substantial scholarships  from the
affiliate to help fund post-secondary education.  These range  from, again, on
average, $1250 to $2000 each.
2.  Internship Program: The NFBI helps fund a number of internships  each
summer for high school and college students.  The purpose of this  program is to
aid in funding meaningful projects that are related to the  student's
vocational goal.  To that end, students can gain that "first  resume-building"
experience, often getting their foot in the door of the  particular field in which
they intend to work.  Past internships have  included education of young
children, broadcast radio, building and repairing  farm equipment and automotives,
and veternary medicine and animal safety, among  others.
3.  Freedom Link: This is the NFBI's and IABS's Transitions  program.  The
program is a year-long project, meeting once a month.   The high-school aged
students and their mentors engage in educational and social  activities, building
relationships, and gaining blindness skills.
4.  Spring Student Seminars:  The past two years, the NFBI and  IABS have
held student seminars.  They emphasize positive attitudes of  blindness,
technology, mobility using the long white cane, Braille literacy, and  self-advocacy.

Hope this is what you had in mind.  Feel free to write if you have any
questions or need more info.

Regards,
Ronza

In a message dated 12/16/2008 12:10:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,