[Iabs-talk] Polling the List

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 11 18:58:09 UTC 2009

Yes, absolutely.

-----Original Message-----
From: iabs-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:iabs-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of AZNOR99 at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:33 PM
To: iabs-talk at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Iabs-talk] Polling the List

IABSters,

Please find a message from Dave Andrews below.  Essentially, I am  polling
the IABS-Talk subscribers as to whether we should agree to have everyone
subscribed to a separate list in order to avoid receiving 900 copies of a
particular widely distributed message.  So, instead of receiving the same
message about Meet the Blind Month from the IABS-Talk, Il-Talk, NABS, NAGDU,
NFB-Talk, Blind-Rehab, and all the other lists to which you are subscribed
separately, you'd only receive one message from an address like
NFB-Subscribers  or something.

I'm inclined, as the IABS-Talk list moderator, to support this change, but
I'd like you all to weigh in.

Thanks,
Ronza

Hi:

As you know I send out messages of general interest on a fairly regular
basis.  They are usually convention-related stuff, knfb-reader stuff, other
stuff of interest to the NFB and its members, and/or other blindness-related
information.  I send these messages out by picking the lists I want it to
go to.
Unfortunately, as the number and diversity of the lists has  increased it is
likely that any one individual will be subscribed to two or more  lists.
So,
if I do a mass mailing, you may get multiple copies of the  message.

This is annoying to some, and a growing problem.  There isn't an easy,  or
ideal solution, basically it involves making a list of lists to which
everybody is subscribed automatically.  Then when I want to send out a
message, I send just to the all-subscribers list, and duplicates are
avoided.  Do people think this is a good idea, or will you or others  object
being subscribed to a hidden list, and receiving mail from it?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Iabs-talk:
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/iabs-talk_nfbnet.org/datemeyer%40sbcgl