[Iabs-talk] information on getting a guide dog

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 13 13:37:49 UTC 2009

Though we are an organization that engages in rehabilitation training, we do
not engage in any training involving the use of a guide dog, nor do we to my
knowledge endorse any one particular guide dog school.  My suggestion to you
would be to contact guide dog schools individually to receive materials and
possibly applications.  Personally, I have had one guide dog and went
through Guiding Eyes to get it.  I found them to be a very good school and I
found both the application process and the training to be quite positive.
With that in mind, I cannot recommend it over any other hguide dog school,
as I have had no experience working with any other school.

A partial list of guide dog schools would include Guiding Eyes for the
Blind, the seeing eye, Guide dogs for the Blind, Fidelco, and the Guide Dog
Foundation and Pilot Dogs.

Also, if you have friends who have used guide dogs, I would talk to them
about their experiences with the various guide dog schools.  Beyond that, I
would consult the National Association of Guide Dog Users, the NFB Division
of Guide Dog users.  The president of this division is Marian Guistala.  His
email address is blind411 at verizon.net.

Hope this helps.