[Iabs-talk] March 26 - Braille Readers are Leaders Day

Kelly Doty kelly at dls.net
Wed Mar 25 22:54:53 UTC 2009

March 26, 2009, marks the release of the Louis Braille Bicentennial Silver
Dollar by the U.S. Mint. Here in Illinois this day has been proclaimed
Braille Readers are Leaders Day by the mayors/presidents of Chicago, Des
Plaines, East Moline, Forest Park, Geneseo, Hanover Park, Jacksonville,
Kewannee, Machesney Park, Moline, Morrison, Quincy, Rock Island, and
Springfield. Many of these proclamations were presented to NFB members at
the various city council meetings; others were signed and sent directly.
Members of our Blackhawk Chapter will be showing one of the uncirculated
commemorative coins at Blackhawk College on Thursday, March 26, and at a
Louis Braille Celebration at their local CIL. A tasty chocolate version may
also be available!

I urge all of you to remember that as of March 26, 2009, the commemorative
coin can be purchased by visiting www.usmint.gov or by calling 1-800- USA
MINT. Until April 27, the proof coin can be purchased for $37.95 and the
uncirculated coin for $31.95. After April 27, the proof coin can be
purchased for $41.95 and the uncirculated coin for $33.95. Sales will last
until the end of the year or until all 400,000 coins are sold. A portion of
all sales goes to support Braille Literacy programs. So, visit
www.braille.org to learn more about the Braille Readers are Leaders campaign
and visit www.usmint.gov to do your shopping that will lead to CHANGE WITH A
DOLLAR!

Kelly