[Iabs-talk] Digetal cartridges

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 23 20:48:55 UTC 2010

This past Saturday, a question came up concerning digetal cartridges.
Presently, you can purchase a 2 gigg cartridge for $11.00 from the American
Printing House for the Blind.  If you decide to go that route, you will need
a USB cable with a male end and a female end.  A cable can still be
purchased through Independent Living Aids for around $10 or so.  If you have
the regular digetal talking book machine, I believe this is the only way you
will be able to store books that are downloaded from the bard web site.  If
you have the advanced player, you can use a thumb drive to run digetal
talking books.  It plugs into the side of the player.  If you have the
advanced player, a thumb drive is in my opinion, the way to go, as there is
less hardware and the drive is a bit cheaper than the price of a cartridge
and a cable.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 4-gigg thumb drive from Radioshack for
around $15.  I have not tried to run anymore than three books at a time.
What I do know is that the digetal talking book player can handle three
books with no difficulty.  The way you would access the three books is to
hold down the play key for an extended period of time until you get to the
prompt, "bookshelf."  You would then use your navigation buttons to cycle
between the available books.  I don't know if the regular player has an
available book shelf where one might access more than one book.