[Iabs-talk] VOV Public Info - Funding Cuts

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Wed Mar 24 23:32:36 UTC 2010

Help Save the Voices of Vision Talking Book Center!
Here's what you can do:

1. Contact your state representative and state senator.
2. Share the message:
I am contacting you today to express my concern for the future of the Voices
of
Vision Talking Book Center service. The DuPage Library System (DLS) delivers
this
service to [whom: me, my mother, our library users, etc.].

Secretary of State Jesse White has successfully redistributed grant monies
to do
as little harm as possible to library grant programs. However, DLS has
received less
than 3% of the $460,286 State of Illinois grant that funds this critically
important
program.

3. Tell your story. Examples of stories we have received are on the back.
4. Conclude with the following:
I know that Illinois has serious budget issues as do the residents of our
great
state. Please understand that the Voices of Vision Talking Book Center
service is an
essential service to [whom: me, my mother, our library users, etc.]. I'm
counting on you
to help make sure this service remains an indispensable resource for the
residents of
Illinois for years to come.

Thank you for your consideration.

5. You are done!
For more information about the Voices of Vision Talking Book Center,
please contact Tom Sloan, Executive Director, DuPage Library System:
tsloan at dupagels.lib.il.us or 630-232-8457 x201.

Some examples of stories shared with Voices of Vision staff:

. "My son uses these services and it has helped him tremendously in school."
. "When my eyes were more cooperative, I kept a book by my chair, one in my
purse and one in the car. Now, thanks to great people like you, I am
enjoying
books that come in a green box."
. "The Talking Books saved my sanity!"
. "Your talking book service...is a Godsend to the blind and physically
handicapped
population...I think it was about 1938 or thereabouts, when [Helen Keller]
made
a plea to the Congressmen not to reduce or cut appropriations for the
talking
books for the blind. Little did I know that I would be one of the
beneficiaries of
her successful plea..."
. "Thank you! Without these tapes for the last 30 years I don't know what my
life
would have been like."
. "Thank you for all the wonderful books you send me. They are my lifeline."
. "Thank you for allowing my uncle to enjoy your products and services
during the
period of blindness he experienced in the last years of his life. My uncle
was a
great reader throughout his life and being unable to read was a heavy cross
for
him to bear. Your agency's assistance allowed him at least some of the
pleasure
he used to enjoy before losing his sight."
. "This is the greatest program that the government has. The best thing I've
gotten
for my tax money."
DuPageLibrarySystem127S.FirstStreetGeneva,IL60134630-232-8457fax:630-232-0699http://www.dupagels.lib.il.us

P.S.  National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is now on twitter at
www.twitter.com/nfbi.
We also have a facebook page.  Just search for our full name.

Patti Gregory-Chang
President, National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
pattichang at att.net
www.nfbofillinois.org