[Iabs-talk] NFB Parents' Newsletter

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Fri Sep 3 15:50:29 UTC 2010

I am forwarding this as I assume some of our general members might wish to
see our parents newsletter.

Subject: NFB Parents' Newsletter

Welcome to the first issue of our brand-new newsletter for Illinois parents
of
blind children! The idea for this newsletter emerged following the day-long
seminar sponsored by the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois (NFBI)
on
April 10, 2010. Some of the parents who attended the seminar thought it
would be
helpful to have a way of sharing ideas and resources between formal
gatherings.
This newsletter can be a vehicle to convey information about programs and
events
of interest in Illinois. It can also bring you information about national
resources for blind kids and their families.

To begin with, the newsletter needs a name. You can have an impact right
away by
helping us choose a name that is catchy and positive. Any and all
submissions
will be greatly appreciated! Whoever submits the winning entry will receive
a $5
Starbucks gift card!

This is a newsletter by parents and for parents. We hope you will find it
useful. Please send us your ideas, suggestions, and announcements. With your
help, the newsletter can become whatever you would like it to be.

Sincerely,
Nelly Gamino
Beth Sturman
Debbie Stein

Welcome: EVALUATING THE SEMINAR
Most of the parents who attended the NFBI seminar on April 10, "ABC's of
IEP's
and More," completed a short evaluation form. We extend our thanks to
everyone
who took the time to respond. We hope to improve our programs each year, and
your input makes all the difference. Below are the categories and their
averaged
grade with 5 being Excellent and 1 being Poor.

· Getting to Know You: Who We Are and Why We Have Come: 4.2
· ABC's of IEP's: 5
· Balancing Your Child's Educational Needs: 4.8
· Lunch and lunch hour: 4.1
· Sports and Recreation Opportunities: 4.8
· Regular Education or Self-Contained Classrooms: 4.1
· Getting through High School and Beyond: 3.9
· Teacher Panel: 4.4
· Kids' Kamp: 5 (Kids LOVED IT!)
· Teen Scene: 3.3

List Serve:
· Blindkid ListServ: Want to talk about your blind kid with other
parents? Would you like tips from knowledgeable blind adults who have "been
there, done that?" Ask questions, get and give advice, vent frustrations,
brag
about your kid, share resources, and make new friends on this NOPBC
sponsored
listserv. Subscribe by visiting the blindkid Web site at:
the
page.

Dates and Information of Important Events
9/15/2010: Teaching Excellence Award Nominations due
9/15/2010: Applications for FreedomLink due
10/8-10/2010: State Convention, Springfield, IL
11/1/2010: Braille Readers are Leaders Contest begins – to register go to:
www.brailleinstitute.org

Back to School Tips

1. Visual and Auditory equipment and technology programs are ready to use on
the
first day of school.
2. Staff working with your child has been educated on child’s condition,
goals
and objectives.
3. PE and/or extra curricular activities should be addressed before school
starts.