[Iabs-talk] Convention Bulletin

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Sat Aug 13 22:24:05 UTC 2011

 NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF ILLINOIS

2011 CONVENTION BULLETIN

FROM DREAM TO REALITY

On October 7th, 8th, and 9th, 2011, enthusiastic Federationists will
assemble in Rock Island to renew our dedication in the pursuit of security,
equality, and opportunity for all blind people.

The site for our convention will be the Holiday Inn Rock Island 226 17th
Street in Rock Island Illinois.  Telephone: (309) 794-1212. Room rates are
$72 per night plus applicable taxes. Please indicate you are with the NFBI
to get this special rate. Room reservations must be made by September 23rd.
After that date, reservations will be accepted only on a space available
basis.

This year's convention will kick off with a Friday afternoon seminar.  This
seminar will teach how to sell on E-Bay.  Come learn how to be an
independent entrepreneur.   Exhibitors of technology and products will be
present from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Friday.

Friday evening begins with a walk to a local restaurant.  Learn some
mobility techniques and enjoy good food and fellowship.  The Resolutions
Committee will meet at 7:00.  The Resolutions Committee will be chaired by
George Villa.  ALL resolutions must be submitted by September 26, 2011. He
may be contacted at gvilla at wideopenwest.com or (630) 416-3875.

IABS IDOL will follow resolutions.  Those wanting to perform during the IABS
Idol should contact IABS by calling Dale Sczwek at (215) 390-7918 or
e-mailing at IABS at nfbofillinois.org.  Please put IABS IDOL in your subject
line.

Our general session will convene on Saturday, October 8th at 9 AM.  We will
begin with a National Report regarding NFB happenings.  Our featured panel
is made up of high school students who attended Youth Slam.  After our
parent and student lunches, we will hear from a blind chef and a blind auto
mechanic.  In addition, there will be breakout sessions for parents of blind
children, a teen scene and significant others meeting.

The evening will culminate with our annual banquet, featuring an energizing
address from our National Representative, Ms. Pam Allen, Director of the
Louisiana Center for the Blind and a member of the Board of Directors of
NFB.  We will also see the much-anticipated scholarship awards.

Sunday morning's session will begin with Braille is Beautiful and we will
hear from other blind people doing interesting things.  Resolutions will be
voted on during the Sunday morning session.  Adjournment is scheduled for
12:00 PM on October 9th.

Advance registration for the convention made before September 24th is $5.
Registration after that date or at convention will be $15. The registration
form and fees for breakfasts, luncheon, and banquet should be sent before
September 24th to Kelly Doty, 1433 Ashland Street #403, Des Plaines, IL
60016.  Checks or money orders should be made payable to NFB of Illinois.
Please do not send cash.

We will host a breakfast for parents of blind children at 7 A.M. on
Saturday, The student breakfast will be held on Sunday morning at 7:00 a.m.,
at which time the student division will conduct its business meeting. The
cost for each breakfast will be $10.

We will have two luncheons for all those interested in student and/or parent
issues

on Saturday.  The cost for either luncheon will be $15. The banquet on
Saturday night will start at 7 PM and tickets will cost $30.

Those with special dietary needs for any of the meals should contact Denise
Avant, (773) 325-1117 or dravant at ameritech.net.  The deadline for such
requests is September 24th.

Kids' Kamp (childcare) will be available on Saturday from 8:30 AM to 5:30
P.M. Kids' Kamp is free to all children under 12 who are registered for the
convention. A separate release form must be filled out at time of
registration.

For those needing financial assistance to attend the convention, all
applications must be submitted to President Patti Chang no later than
September 5th at 6919 W. Berwyn Ave. Chicago, IL 60656 or
pattichang at att.net.  The form to fill out for financial assistance from the
James Chappell Memorial Fund is available on our web site at
www.nfbofillinois.org or one will be mailed to you upon request.

Federation conventions change the lives of blind and sighted people alike!
Don't miss out on this opportunity for change! Join us for our best
convention yet!

P.S. Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund
via your phone bill.

P.S.S.  National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is now on twitter at
www.twitter.com/nfbi.
We also have a facebook page.  Just search for our full name.

Patti Gregory-Chang, Esq.
Chairperson, NFB Scholarship Committee
scholarships at nfb.org
President, National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
pattichang at att.net
www.nfbofillinois.org