[Iabs-talk] The Braille Examiner Post Convention Issue 2011

Connie Davis connie.davis at rcn.com
Wed Dec 14 05:47:34 UTC 2011

THE BRAILLE EXAMINER
Post Convention Issue 2011
Editor: Connie J. Davis
Assistant Editor: Debbie Stein
President: Patti Gregory-Chang

CONTACT INFORMATION
President: Patti Gregory-Chang, (773) 307-6440, pattichang at att.net
Editor:  Connie Davis, (773) 338-6922, condav850 at gmail.com
Assistant Editor:  Deborah Kent Stein, (773) 631-1093, dkent5817 at .att.net
Formatting & Electronic Distribution: Connie Davis, (773) 338-6922,
condav850 at gmail.com
Newsline® Edition:  David Meyer, (708) 209-1767, datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Limited Print Edition & Braille Edition:  Bill Reif, (217) 801-2996,
billreif at ameritech.net
Proofreaders: Debbie Stein, Patti Chang, Megan Dowell , Glenn Moore, David
Meyer, &  Bill Reif
Website:  Byron Lee & Gregg Rosenberg, webmasters, www.nfbofillinois.org,
webmaster at nfbofillinois.org

Announcements:  Articles and calendar postings should be submitted to Connie
Davis at condav850 at gmail. com. The Newsletter Committee will meet prior to
the publication of each issue of the newsletter. Meetings will be announced
on our e-mail list serves, posted to the NFBI calendar and on our website.
Our meetings are open and new members are welcome. This newsletter is
available in electronic format on our list serves, via e-mail, and on our
website. It is also available on Newsline. It is published in Braille and
limited print edition for our donors, as well.

ATTENTION NEWSLINE SUBSCRIBERS
from David Meyer, Newsline Coordinator

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is presenting an
opportunity that sounds too good to be true; but, it is.

One lucky reader will be $50 richer, thanks to the NFB Newsline Security
Code Contest.

And so you may be asking: How can my Newsline security code mean extra
money?  Well, all you have to do as a Newsline subscriber is remember your
security code in order to become eligible.

Contest Rules:  Each week between January 1 and June 24, 2012, a different
security code will be given on the Illinois Information channel within the
Blindness Information Channel of Newsline.  If you find that the secret code
is yours, you have the week in which your code is presented to call David
Meyer, NFBI Newsline Coordinator, at 708-209-1767. Identify yourself by
stating your name, address, phone number and security code.

Each correct entry will be placed in a drawing which will be conducted
immediately following the NFB National convention.  The winning entry will
receive a cash prize of $50 from the National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois.

Good luck to all Newsline subscribers.

PRESIDENT'S REPORT:  2011-2012
By:  Patti S. Gregory-Chang, Esq.

I begin with the sad news that our treasurer, Kelly Doty, resigned just
before convention due to medical problems.  She is already sorely missed.
Please keep Kelly in your thoughts and prayers.

Since Kelly's resignation, many Illinois Federationists have stepped forward
to take on additional duties.  Glenn Moore III is our new treasurer.
Roberta Reif served as registration coordinator for convention.  Denise
Avant is our new youth coordinator.  Debbie Stein is coordinating our
transitions club, Freedom Link.  Dale Sczweck now co-chairs our Renewal and
Membership Committee, and Liz Bottner is chairing our Braille Literacy
Committee.  Connie Davis is heading our Newsletter Committee now.  Many
others have graciously agreed to shift responsibilities or take on
additional work. This shows just how strong the Illinois affiliate is.

Our recent convention went very well.  We had numerous families from both
our BRAL and Youth Slam programs in attendance. Of all of the conventions we
have ever held, this one had the most parents of blind children in
attendance.  IABS meetings and fundraisers were especially lively.  We had
more than one hundred people registered.  Presentations were well received,
and the hotel staff was tremendous.

Fifteen for Funds was announced by Denise Avant in the absence of Cathy
Randall.  We will accept more than $5,500 in donations to cover our 2012
budget.  If you have not yet made your donation, please send it to Glenn
Moore at P.O. Box 1065, Elgin, IL 60121.

I am very pleased to report that extensive updating of our webpage puts us
back among the affiliates with the best presence on the web.  Please make it
your homepage, and thank Gregg Rosenberg and Byron Lee for their work. Our
convention audio is already up on the page.

Connie Davis and I regularly update the calendar.  Please check for upcoming
meetings, including our NFBI board meetings.  All are welcome to attend.

We plan to send nine representatives from Illinois to speak to our
congressional representatives in February.  These will include a variety of
Federationists statewide.  We want students and parents, new and veteran
participants.  I expect that minimum wage will be at the top of our
legislative agenda.

Sometime in April, we will conduct a combined seminar, for parents and
teachers of the visually impaired. By combining these conferences, we will
economize and present a helpful and packed agenda.  If you wish to work on
either component, contact Debbie Stein at (773) 631-1093 or Debbie Pittman
at (773) 233-6565.  They will be happy to put you to work.

On a related note, we need people to work on public relations for the
seminar.  Please call me if you can help at (773) 307-6440 or e-mail me at
pattichang at att.net.

In closing, I feel that 2011 has been a productive year, and I look forward
to an even more productive 2012. Together, there is nothing we can't
accomplish!!!

CHAPTER NEWS

CHICAGO CHAPTER NEWS

by David Meyer

Over the past several months, the Chicago Chapter has presented programs
that have made our members more aware of programs and services, which have
been cut, of the agencies that we use on a regular basis.

In September, our guest speaker was Cara Levinson, Disability Compliance
Officer of the Chicago Transit Authority, who introduced us to several new
initiatives that the CTA was either implementing or considering. Among these
initiatives is the installation of audible signs that will inform of
individual buses approaching the bus stop and the length of time we can
expect to wait for that bus. Two of those signs are presently in existence.

In October, one of our newest members, Gregg Rosenberg, gave us an extensive
presentation on what we should do to be prepared in an emergency situation.

In November, we had a presentation by Crystal Schiltz of En-Vision America.
She spoke to us about two of their products: a bar code scanner and a system
called Script Talk, which will enable us to read everything on prescription
labels.

We also anticipate a program about skiing sometime during the winter months.

Our Christmas auction took place immediately following the meeting on
Saturday, December 10. We hold the auction each year to raise funds for our
annual Washington Seminar. This year the chapter raised $562 toward that
goal.

We meet on the second Saturday of each month at the Exchequer Pub and
Restaurant, 226 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. For further
information, you may call David Meyer at 708-209-1767 or e-mail
datemeyer at sbcglobal.net.

FERRIS WHEEL UPDATES
by Bill Reif, Esq., President

During the past year, the NFBI Ferris Wheel Chapter has continued to change
what it means to be blind in the Springfield and Jacksonville, Illinois,
areas. Although I was in Chicago for the majority of last year for training
regarding the Business Enterprise Program for the Blind, the chapter has
continued to seek new members and to increase its outreach. In June, we were
involved in a Springfield low-vision fair. We distributed literature
regarding the NFB, NFB Newsline, and our At Large Chapter for those who
can't attend our local meetings. We have also teleconferenced several of our
meetings so that Jacksonville residents can participate.

In August, our chapter elected the following officers: president, Bill Reif;
vice president, Charlene Elder; secretary, Roberta Reif; treasurer, Carolyn
Nelson; and board member, Daryl Darnell. Most of our chapter members
attended our latest convention. Most of our officers and members chair or
serve on several affiliate committees.

Our meetings take place the first Saturday of each month at 10:30 at the
Lincoln Library, 7th and Capitol, in Springfield. In the coming year, we
plan to have speakers from the Springfield Mass Transit District and to
feature other topics of local interest. All are welcome to attend, or to
participate via conference call at (218) 936-1200, code 6324.

ILLINOIS ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS (IABS)
By Liz Bottner
During the 2011 National Federation of the Blind of Illinois state
convention, held in Rock Island, Illinois the weekend of October 7-9, 2011,
members of the Illinois Association of Blind Students played an integral
part. Students participated in a number of convention sessions - from
IABS-sponsored events, (IABS Idol, the student luncheon and Teen Scene) to
general convention sessions "Braille is Beautiful" and the "Guide Dog and
Cane" panel discussion).
Friday evening kicked off the convention with IABS Idol, where members of
the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois took part in a musical
competition. The IABS Idol judges were Pam Allen, the 2011 national rep;
Roland Allen, Pam's husband; and Darian Smith, the 2011 representative of
the National Association of Blind Students. Running alongside the general
Idol competition was the "Battle of the Chapters." The theme for this year's
chapter competition was musicals, and the At-Large Chapter won for the
second year in a row with its selection from "The Sound of Music."
Saturday afternoon found the student division very busy, first with the
student luncheon. Dale Sczweck was this year's master of ceremonies, and
Darian Smith delivered the keynote address. The 2011 Teaching Excellence
Awards were presented to Michelle Clyne, Robin Litz and Jan Paoletti, all
Illinois teachers of the visually impaired. IABS was also in charge of this
year's Teen Scene events, which included a discussion on nutrition followed
by a very lively game of string ball.
Sunday morning was the annual business meeting of the Illinois Association
of Blind Students. In addition to the usual business agenda items, elections
for two general board seats were held. Chris Jeckel was reelected to his
seat and Megan Dowell took the other. The 2011 state convention of the
National Federation of the Blind of Illinois was very successful in terms of
IABS, and hopefully next year will build on that.

STATE CONVENTION 2011

MY FIRST CONVENTION
by Meg Dowell

The city of Chicago evaporates as the bus speeds down the highway. I'm
sitting by the emergency exit, alone.

My destination: Rock Island, Illinois.

My purpose: Unknown.

I'm missing fitness lab, I note as I search through the contacts on my phone
for someone to talk to. I could be building gradual muscle mass. Instead,
I'm studying Midwestern cornfields as they pass by my window.

This day began with uncertainty. I didn't know what to pack, when to leave,
or what to expect. Now I realize the intensity of my cluelessness. I've
never been to a convention as a scholarship winner before, let alone to any
event hosted by the NFBI. I barely know anything about NFBI at all.

How do I feel? Lonely. All of the people on this bus seem to have met each
other before. While they chatter away, I shiver underneath the chill of my
shyness. All it took was an essay, a phone interview, and a few good grades
to place me on this coach bus of doom.

Almost four hours later, I plant myself inside an unfamiliar hotel room and
wait. I study the convention schedule; it makes no sense to me. And I'm
hungry. I don't have anyone to go to lunch with.

The next thing I know, I've been sucked into the NFBI scene. I sit through
panel discussions, eat with other scholarship winners, endure a first-time
presentation of resolutions, and sing in front of a crowd of people who
don't even know my name. I can't help but feel, somehow, welcome.

The feeling does not subside. Before convention adjourns, I manage to make
an entirely new cluster of friends. I not only learn all about NFBI, but
also about its affiliated organizations, including IABS--enough to get
myself elected to the student board, anyway.

I'm in awe, even a month following the end of an annual NFBI gathering, of
the comfort and familiarity that those in attendance were able to bring to
me. It's almost as if they've adopted me into their kind and compassionate
family. I hope those that were once in my position possess the proper
evidence to agree.

The bus ride home is an entirely different experience than the way it all
began. I know everyone's name. Rather than a blanket stitched with anxious
thread draped around my shoulders, I wear a smile.

My destination: Home. At least, for now.

My purpose: To be a proud member of the National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois: loved. Successful. A VIP.

I'll see you all next year!

FAMILY MATTERS
by Debbie Kent Stein

In recent years families have played an increasingly important role at the
NFB of Illinois convention. Nine families of blind children and teens
attended the 2011 convention in Rock Island. Their presence was felt
throughout the busy convention weekend.

On Friday night nine-year-old Alex Gamino was the youngest contestant in the
IABS Idol competition. A panel of three teens--Kevin Cuthbertson, Alyssa
Henson, and Katie Leinum--gave a presentation about their adventures at
Youth Slam during the Saturday morning general session. Finally, on Sunday
morning, Alex Gamino and sixteen-year-old Stephannie Baccay demonstrated
their Braille skills as cast members in the Braille Is Beautiful reading.

Parents and kids were active in planning and putting on the Parents'
Breakfast and the Parents' Lunch, both of which were open to all interested
conventioneers. At the Parents' Breakfast on Saturday morning, Stephannie
Baccay, six-year-old Elissa Edwards, and eight-year-old Ethan Edwards spoke
about their participation in the 2010-2011 Braille Readers Are Leaders
Contest. Middle-schooler Matthew Miller and Laura Miller, his mother,
described their experience at the 2011 Leadership and Advocacy in Washington
(LAW) Program. The Parents' Lunch began with a presentation about library
services from Karen Odean of Voices of Vision. The main event was a panel
called "Partners in Advocacy." It was presented by Joanna Graham, a parent
from Macomb, Illinois; Serena Preston, a teacher from the Illinois School
for the Visually Impaired in Jacksonville, Illinois; and Pam Allen, director
of the Louisiana Center for the Blind in Ruston, Louisiana.

Now that convention is over, the Parents' Committee is beginning to plan an
exciting two-part spring seminar. One day will be especially geared for
teachers of the visually impaired, and the next day will focus on issues
important to parents. Please stay tuned!

THE NFBI SCHOLARSHIP CLASS OF 2011
by Debbie Kent Stein

The NFBI Scholarship Committee maps its course with the seasons. Around the
time we prepare our Thanksgiving feasts we review the application form for
the coming year. We post the form on the NFBI website,
www.nfbofillinois.org, by the time January snow blankets the ground. In
March, as the trees bud and the first robins venture back, the completed
applications come in; all application forms, transcripts, letters of
recommendation, and essays must be received no later than March 31.

During April, as Illinois soggily thaws into spring, members of the
Scholarship Committee interview each of the applicants. By mid- June the
winners have been confirmed and another long, hot summer is on its way.

The presentation of the NFBI scholarships is a high point of the annual
state convention. Six outstanding blind students received scholarships
during the banquet at the 2011 NFBI convention. Three of these students
received Kenneth Jernigan Scholarships of $1,250 apiece. The 2011 Kenneth
Jernigan winners were Vandana Chaudhry, a doctoral candidate in social work
at the University of Illinois/Chicago (UIC); Megan Dowell, a Sophomore at
Olivet Nazarene University; and Michal Nowicki, a third-year student at UIC
majoring in Spanish. Mary McDill Knapheide Scholarships of $1,500 were
awarded to Lori Eby, who is earning a master's in social work at the
University of Chicago; and Muhammad Saif Ullah, a junior at Loyola
University who is majoring in biology. The 2011 Peter Grunwald Scholarship
of $2,000 was awarded to Rose Sloan. Rose is in her junior year at
Northwestern University. She is majoring in social policy with a particular
interest in education.

The 2012 NFBI Scholarship program and the National Scholarship Program of
the NFB are open to any legally blind student who will be enrolled full-time
in an accredited US postsecondary institution in September 2012. Scholarship
candidates are evaluated on the basis of many factors, including academic
excellence, service to the community, and leadership potential. The NFB of
Illinois program is open to blind students who reside or attend school in
Illinois, while the national program draws candidates from throughout the
United States. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply to both state and
national programs.

Winter is upon us once more, and once again we are sending out scholarship
applications for the coming year. If you are a qualified candidate, please
complete the application and send it to Deborah Kent Stein,
dkent5817 at att.net or 5817 N. Nina Ave., Chicago, IL 60631. If you have any
questions, please call (773) 631-1093.

NFBI CONVENTION 2011 RESOLUTIONS PRESENTED AT THE 2011 STATE CONVENTION
by Bill Reif
The meeting of the NFBI Resolutions Committee is an important component of
our annual convention, though it is perhaps somewhat misunderstood.
Resolutions are the vehicles by which the committee, and ultimately the
convention itself, formulate and articulate policies. When pursued or
enacted as legislation or regulations, these policies change the legal and
social environment in ways that expand opportunities for the blind. Our
resolutions reflect our philosophy that, with appropriate training and
opportunities, we can and do compete on terms of equality.
This process of identifying and considering issues and formulating
resolutions is facilitated by the Resolutions Committee. The 2011 committee
consisted of:  Denise Avant, Mary Lou Grunwald, David Meyer, Ronza Othman,
Debbie Pittman, Bill Reif, Alyson Slaughter, Steve Hastalis, Liz Bottner and
committee Chair George Villa. Those who attended conventions years ago
recall how the process used to happen. Committee members submitted draft
resolutions that the committee considered and rewrote at meetings that
extended long into the night. Fortunately for Committee members and
convention attendees, most of this process now takes place via email prior
to the convention.  Resolutions were refined and submitted for final review
to all committee members on October 1, 2011. This also gave me an
opportunity to produce Braille copies and for Committee Chair George Villa
to produce large-print copies for circulation to chapter presidents at the
Friday Resolutions Committee meeting.  All members were in attendance with
the exception of Liz Bottner.  Debbie Stein read the resolutions for the
committee and other attendees.  As the resolutions were read, their authors
explained the reasons behind their submission.  Resolutions had been
submitted by Denise Avant, Steve Hastalis, Bill Reif, and David Meyer. In
addition to those resolutions submitted by committee members, Resolution
2011-7 was submitted by Patti Gregory-Chang at the request of the NFB
national office. Three of the resolutions concerned matters affecting the
Illinois School for the Visually Impaired in Jacksonville. The resolutions
are as follows:

NFBI Resolution 2011-01 urges the governor to implement recent legislation
requiring separate superintendents for the School for the Visually Impaired
and the School for the Deaf, establishing a task force to evaluate and
select a qualified superintendent for ISVI.

NFBI Resolution 2011-02 commends current ISVI Superintendent Marybeth
Lauderdale for her support of NFB Newsline.

NFBI Resolution 2011-03 addresses concerns about funding cuts to the ISVI
budget. It urges that funds be restored to the FY 2011 levels and that the
school remain adequately funded.

NFBI Resolution 2011-04 supports the reauthorization of federal
transportation legislation, which some House members tried to complicate at
the last moment by objecting to federal funding for bicycle trails.

NFBI Resolution 2011-05 strongly objects to efforts by the U.S. House of
Representatives that would deny federal funding for Amtrak to states that
contribute funding to support passenger rail service. This initiative would
underfund and fragment Amtrak as a cohesive passenger rail network.

NFBI Resolution 2011-06 welcomes the many positive developments associated
with the departure of former ORS Director Rob Kilbury and his replacement
with Interim Director Chris Smith, and urges the establishment of policies
that will assure that directors remain accountable and open to the concerns
of consumer stakeholder organizations, including the NFBI.

NFBI Resolution 2011-07 urges our support of workers with disabilities,
including those in Illinois agencies, through our support of legislation
that removes language from the Fair Labor Standards Act that permits
employers to pay disable workers less than the federal minimum wage.

All resolutions passed unanimously with some discussion and minor changes.
On Sunday, October 9, 2011 all resolutions approved by the committee were
unanimously approved by the convention body.
Complete copies of the 2011 resolutions may be found on the NFBI website and
on the Newsline Information Channel.

RECIPES

Liz Bottner
Peanut Blossoms

Ingredients:
48 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Granulated sugar

Directions
1 Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.

2 Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add
1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk
and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually
beat into peanut butter mixture.

3 Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on
ungreased cookie sheet.

4 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a
chocolate into center of each
cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire
rack. Cool completely.
About 4 dozen cookies.

Shortbread Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 cups cornstarch
4 cups flour
1 pinch salt
1 lb. butter

Since this recipe makes a large batch of cookies, start with a large mixing
bowl. The cornstarch is the key to this recipe.

When you feel the ingredients are well-integrated, then place the crumbly
mix onto a baking sheet. I used a half-sheet pan and it fit perfectly.

Bake for 40 minutes at 325, then reduce heat to 300 and continue baking for
20 minutes. When they came out of the oven I dusted with granulated sugar. I
only waited about 5 minutes before trying to cut them and it seemed to work
perfectly.

Constance Canode

PECAN CINNAMON SHORTBREAD BARS
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Heat oven to 350*F. Grease bottom only of 13 x 9 -inch pan. In a large bowl,
combine butter and sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add
flour, cinnamon, salt and vanilla; mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup of the pecans.
Press dough in bottom of pan.
Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup pecans over dough; press in lightly.
Bake at 350*F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool
completely.
Cut into bars.

MAGIC IN THE MIDDLES
Dough:
1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar (and extra for dipping)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
Filling:
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

For The Dough: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease (or line with
parchment) two baking sheets.
You can also use silicone baking sheets.  In a medium-sized mixing bowl,
whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another
medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the sugars, butter and peanut butter
until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the egg, beating to combine,
then stir in the dry ingredients, blending well.

For The Filling: In a small bowl, stir together the peanut butter and
confectioners' sugar until smooth. With floured hands, roll the filling into
26 one-inch balls.

To shape the cookies: Break off about 1 tablespoon of the dough, make an
indentation in the center with your finger, and press one of the peanut
butter balls into the indentation. Bring the dough up and over the filling,
pressing it closed. Roll the cookie in the palms of your hand to smooth it
out. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.

Dip the top of each cookie in granulated sugar and place on the prepared
baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Grease the bottom of a drinking glass
and use it to flatten each cookie to about 1/2 inch thick.
Bake the cookies for 7 to 9 minutes until they are set. Remove them from the
oven and cool on a rack.

Praline Brownies
1 (20 ounce) box chewy fudge brownie mix (like Duncan Hines)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
Praline Topping
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease the bottom only of a 13x9 inch baking pan.

Place brownie mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil and water; mix until
well combined. Spread evenly over bottom of baking pan.
In a separate bowl, mix together praline topping ingredients until crumbly.
Sprinkle evenly over the top. A small corner may be left uncovered with the
topping as a spot to test for doneness.
Bake 28 - 30 minutes; do not overtake. Check corner with a pick for
doneness; it should come out clean with no crumbs attached.

Layered chocolate peanut butter fudge

1 package 8 squares baker's semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
half cup cocktail peanuts chopped1
1 package 6 squares baker's white chocolate
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter.
Microwave semisweet chocolate and milk in microwave bowl on high for 2
minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 minute.  Stir
until chocolate is completely melted, stir in nuts and spread onto bottom of
foil-lined 8-inch square pan.  Microwave white chocolate in separate
microwavable bowl on high 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted,
stirring after 1 minute.  Stir until chocolate is completely melted, add
peanut butter, stir until melted.  Spread over semisweet chocolate layer.
Refrigerate 2 hours until firm and cut into squares.

Pumpkin Bread
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon baking powder

Combine pumpkin, oil and eggs. Sift together dry ingredients. Combine the
two mixtures, blending thoroughly.
Pour into 2 greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans and bake at 300 degrees F for 1
hour.

NFBI Calendar:  December 2011--March 2012

December
December 18--7 PM, Membership & Renewal Committee Meeting, via conference
call, 218.936.1200 code 6362 (memb)

January 2012
January 7--10 AM, Kankakee Heartland Chapter Meeting, Bourbonnais Public
Library, 250 W. John Casey Drive, Bourbonnais, IL
January 7--10:30 AM, Ferris Wheel, Lincoln Library, 7th St. & Capitol,
Springfield, Illinois
January 8--7 PM, At Large Chapter Meeting, via conference call 218.936.1200,
code 6324 (NFBI)
January 9--Braille Literacy Committee, via conference call, 218.936.1200
code 6324 (NFBI)
January 14--1 PM, Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago, IL
January 14--1:30 PM, Blackhawk Chapter Meeting, South Moline Township
Center, 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline
January 24--8 PM, Guide Dog Committee, via conference call 218.936.1200,
code 6324

February
February 4--10 AM, Kankakee Heartland Meeting, Bourbonnais Public Library,
250 W. John Casey Drive, Bourbonnais, IL
February 4--10:30 AM, Ferris Wheel Chapter Meeting, Lincoln Library, 7th &
Capitol, Springfield, IL
February 5--7 PM, At Large Chapter Meeting, via conference call,
218.936.1200, code 6324 (NFBI)
February 6-9, Washington Seminar, Washington D.C.
February 11--1 PM, Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago, IL
February 11--1:30 PM, Blackhawk Chapter Meeting, South Moline Township
Center, 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline

March
March 3--10 AM, Kankakee Heartland Meeting, Bourbonnais Public Library, 250
W. John Casey Drive, Bourbonnais, IL
March 3--10:30 AM, Ferris Wheel Chapter Meeting, Lincoln Library, 7th &
Capitol, Springfield, IL
March 4--7 PM, At Large Chapter Meeting, via conference call 218.936.1200,
code 6324 (NFBI)
March 10--1 PM, Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash,
Chicago, IL
March 10--1:30 PM, Blackhawk Chapter Meeting, South Moline Township Center,
637 17th. Avenue in East Moline

Connie