[Iabs-talk] FW: Fair Wage Call to Action on the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Reauthorization

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 29 20:26:48 UTC 2013

  _____

From: Lewis, Anil [mailto:ALewis at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 1:58 PM
To: Lewis, Anil
Subject: Fair Wage Call to Action on the Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
Reauthorization

Friends:

WE are respectfully asking for your continued support to end the payment of
subminimum wages to workers with disabilities. Senate Bill S. 1356 has been
introduced to reauthorize the Workforce Investment Act (WIA).  This bill
includes a major policy change in the language of the Rehabilitation Act
that threatens to send us backwards in our struggle to repeal Section 14(c)
of the Fair Labor Standards Act.  This bill has proposed language in Section
511 of the Rehabilitation Act that requires vocational rehabilitation
agencies to include training and employment at wages below the federal
minimum wage as a VR service.

The Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee is
scheduled to discuss and vote on this bill on Wednesday, July 31, and we
need to act to ensure that this tremendously flawed proposal is removed.
Our initial action is simple, but it will require all of us to take action.
We need all of our members, family members, friends, colleagues, and
acquaintances that reside in states with a Senator who serves on the HELP
Committee to make calls, send emails, and post tweets and Facebook messages
to communicate the following straightforward request to their Senators:

I am a voting constituent in the state, and I respectfully request that the
WIA reauthorization be amended to remove Section 511 of the Rehabilitation
Act.

We are encouraging that only the actual residents make these requests of
their Senators.  Start recruiting individuals to begin this action now and
continue it through Tuesday, July 30.  Use the information below to
communicate with your Senator's office.

Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL)

@SenatorKirk

(202) 224-2854

Chief of Staff: Kate Dickens kate_dickens at kirk.senate.gov

HELP Contact: Patrick Magnuson patrick_magnuson at kirk.senate.gov

Additional Contact: Jeannette Windon jeannette_windon at kirk.senate.gov

Please contact me with any questions, and keep me posted on your progress.
The only way we will be able to prevent a dismantling of the essential
training and employment services for all people with disabilities is to act
now.  Remember, once you have made your calls, sent your emails, posted your
tweets and Facebook messages, get others to do the same.

Sincerely,

Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.

Director of Advocacy and Policy

"Eliminating Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities"

http://www.nfb.org/fairwages

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland   21230