[Iabs-talk] Volunteer to install new lighthouse playground

Gregory Chang Patti pattischang at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 23:32:36 UTC 2014

Help Bring More Accessible Play to Kids at

The Chicago Lighthouse!

The Chicago Lighthouse, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, and organizers from national non- profit KaBOOM! are teaming together to build a new playground for our children. Currently, our playground serves the children enrolled in the Preschool for All program and our other kids’ pro- grams, children who use our low vision clinic, and neighborhood children, just to name a few. The playground is over twenty years old, and is not accessible for our visually impaired students or for our children in wheelchairs. We need your help to build our customized playground that will help all our children play together!

We are seeking 150 eager volunteers to help on Build Day, July 26th from 8 am to 3 pm, and 40 volunteers to help us prepare on July 24 from 8 am-5 pm. Volunteers do not have to be trained, skilled or have any special tools! You need only be enthusiastic, energetic, and willing to work while having fun!

Build Captains (team leaders) are also needed! A Build Captain is a volunteer who is willing to take a leadership role and manage a team of volunteers on a particular project. Build Captains
are asked to attend a 60 minute training session on prep day, July 24, 2014 from 12:30-1:30. Build Captains are scheduled 6:30 am to 4:00 pm on July 26th. No special skills are needed, but captains should feel comfortable directing a group of volunteers throughout the day.

You may volunteer as an individual or bring a team. A team may consist of up to 10 members and members should not wear any corporate branded clothing. Are you willing to help? Sign up now! You must be pre-registered to volunteer. Don’t miss out on this opportunity.

(Over for registration)

se

fo

ired d

ic

eW

ag

ho

Li

li

is

in

o V

al

ly

y m

Im

ai

re

Playground Project Registration Form

What do I need to bring?
We will build RAIN OR SHINE. Please dress appropriately to work and for the weather.

Wear sturdy shoes, a cap or hat and most of all your ENTHUSIASM!

Questions: contact Valerie Moore by calling 312.666.1331 ext. 3352, or emailing valerie.moore at chicagolighthouse.org

Come join us as we encourage our children to GET HEALTHY, BE HEALTHY, STAY HEALTHY, PLAY!

Please sign me up for: (you may check more than one!) Build Day: Saturday, July 26

Build Captain: July 24 and 26 Site Prep: Thursday, July 24

Name:
Street Address:
City: State: Zip Code: E-Mail:
Home Phone:
Business Phone:

Please submit this form by Fax: 312.243.8539, Email: Events at chicagolighthouse.org,

or Mail: The Chicago Lighthouse 1850 W. Roosevelt Road, Chicago, Illinois 60608 ATTN: Valerie Moore

Live the Life You Want.

Patti Gregory Chang
National Federation of the Blind of Illinois, President
NFB Scholarship Committee Chair
pattischang at gmail.com
www.nfbofillinois.org