[Iabs-talk] Washington Seminar 2015

Denise Avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:58:10 UTC 2015

Hello all,
We had a wonderful trip to Washington seminar. The attendees for this year were Leslie Hamric, Christina Roberts, Adrienne Falconner, Robert Gartner, Jonathan Brayfield, Glenn More, Dave Meyer,  Annette Grove, and myself.
 We were able to meet with the staff members of the Illinois congressional delegation, and in some cases, the representatives themselves to talk about the NFB legislative agenda for this year. The agenda this year is the TIME Act, Transitioning To Meaningful And Integrated Employment HR 188, the TEACH  Act, Technology Education And Accessibility in Colleges and Higher Education Act, and the Marrakesh Treaty. The fact sheets and frequently asked questions can be found on the NFB website. The fact sheets can also be found on newsline, and we will put up the frequently asked questions as well.

The trip to Washington does not end our efforts to advocate for our legislative agenda. The federal legislation committee will be meeting in a few days to coordinate our efforts to get sponsors and co-sponsors for  the NFB legislative agenda.  In the coming weeks, we in the NFBI need to call and  visit our local congressional offices, and send e-mails, and thank you notes.  Please review the fact sheets, and frequently asked questions in preparation for the visit.   This is something we in NFBI can all do.
I just wanted  to thank Annette Grove for coordinating the visit. Thanks to Robert Gardner and Dave Meyer for helping to set up the meetings. And thanks to Christina Roberts, Leslie Hamric, Glenn Moore, Jonathan Brayfield, and Adrienne Falconner for your participation in Washington seminar.
Ronza Othman and Robert Hansen the co-chairs for social media really gave us a great social media presence. And finally, thanks to Nancy Gardner for getting our name tags, and Lois Montgomery for getting the business cards.
Denise R. Avant
President, National Federation Of The Blind Of Illinois
Live the life you want