[Iabs-talk] James Gashel National Representative To 2015 NFBI State convention

Denise Avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:06:03 UTC 2015

Hello fellow federationists,

It is with great pleasure that I announce that our national representative for our 2015 State convention is  Jim Gashel. He is secretary of our national board, and the Vice President of business development for KNFB Reading Technologies. Aside from that he is a great advocate, ambassador, and leader in the NFB.
His bio is below.

> https://nfb.org/james-gashel-bio <https://nfb.org/james-gashel-bio>
>
> James R. Gashel, Secretary
>
>  <>
> Jim Gashel was born in 1946 and grew up in Iowa. After his early introduction to the National Federation of the Blind as Kenneth Jernigan's student at the Iowa Commission for the Blind during the 1960s, he has been devoted to serving the blind community in various capacities. A 1969 graduate of the University of Northern Iowa with work toward a master's degree in Public Administration at the University of Iowa, Jim started his career teaching speech and English for one year in Pipestone, Minnesota. He then accepted a position as assistant director at the Iowa Commission for the Blind in Des Moines. With that move he found his calling is working with the blind and finding ways of solving the problems that face them as individuals and as a minority.
>
> On January 1, 1974, Jim joined the staff of the National Federation of the Blind as chief of the Washington office, where he became one of the best known advocates for the blind of the United States, combining his commitment to blind people with his interest in the political process. As the Federation's scope and influence evolved, so did his roles and responsibilities. In his professional career of almost thirty-four years with the Federation, he held the positions of chief of the Washington office, director of governmental affairs, and executive director for strategic initiatives. Jim's Federation work has led to significant changes in virtually every law directly affecting blind Americans: the Social Security Act, the Rehabilitation Act, the Randolph-Sheppard Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Copyright Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, and the Help America Vote Act. In addition to championing these causes, Jim has won the love and respect of the thousands of blind men and women across America who have directly benefited from his informed and effective personal advocacy. No matter what his position, through his drive and devotion to Federationism, Jim has earned the informal title of the organization's non-lawyer lawyer.
>
> With his first wife Arlene, Jim is the father of three adult children and the grandfather of six. His daughter Andrea Beasley has four children, and his son Eric and his daughter Valerie each have two children.

> [...]

Denise R. Avant
President, National Federation Of The Blind Of Illinois
Live the life you want