[Iabs-talk] Chicago minutes June 2017

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 7 17:19:55 UTC 2017

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER

MEETING OF JUNE 10, 2017

Chicago Chapter President Steve Hastalis called the meeting to order at 1:00
P.M.

Introductions: There were approximately 30 members present.

Program: Program Committee Chairman Jemal Powell introduced the program as
iPhone VS Android. The presenters were Robert Hansen and Melissa Fuller.
Robert, Melissa and others discussed blind friendly applications for the IOS
and Google platforms.

Secretaries' Report: It was moved and seconded to approve minutes for both
the March and April meetings. Minutes for both meetings were approved as
presented.

Presidential Reports

State Presidential Report: Denise Avant, NFBI President reported on the
following items. The Illinois Social gathering will take place on Monday,
July 10, beginning at 9:00 P.M. The location is President Avant's room in
the hotel. The Illinois caucus for the National Convention will occur on
Wednesday, July 12 at 7:30 A.M. in Wakiwa 8 of the Rosen Shingle Creek
Hotel. The state face-to-face board meeting will occur at the Naperville
Marriott Hotel on Saturday, August 26, beginning at 9:00 A.M. Regarding the
state convention, Denise is looking for ideas for a convention theme. Please
send all theme suggestions to davant1958 at gmail.com or call her at
773-991-8050. Our annual October Fest will occur on September 9, immediately
following the September chapter meeting at the home of Patti and Francisco
Chang. Cost for the event is $25. National Scholarship finalists from
Illinois and Illinois state Scholarship finalists were announced. National
finalists are Ayoub (Jobe) Zurikat and Amari Braumbet. State finalists are
Dustin Cather, Emma Meyer and Amy Bosco.

National Presidential Release: Mark Riccobono, President, National
Federation of the Blind reported on the following items.

One can still register for the National Convention. Registration must take
place onsite. The agenda in Spanish and English will be available soon. The
General Sessions, the banquet and the board meeting will be streamed. Those
unable to attend convention are encouraged to tune in and listen. Work is
currently being done to standardize the look and functionality of the
various state websites. Congress will be in session during the entire month
of June. We were all encouraged to communicate with our congressional
offices, asking that they work to pass our legislation initiatives. As we
will be home on July 4 this year, we were encouraged to offer bbq training
sessions, find a way to participate in community parades and perhaps, engage
in a number of other community activities. Several federationists passed
away in May, including John Walker, son of Barbara Lows, Larry Haze, of New
Mexico, Ellen Bedford of Connecticut and Annette Grove of Illinois.
Federationist Sarah Mosley celebrated her 100th birthday on May 23.

Committee Reports: David Meyer discussed the need to devote more effort to
fundraising. He noted that all fundraising projects undertaken to this point
in the year have not done as well as in previous years. The Beggars
fundraiser and the Sox fundraiser were down significantly from past years. .
Gina Falvo asked about the possibility of doing a candy sale. Patti Chang
mentioned that the Fundraising Committee should meet to come up with some
new fundraising suggestions/projects.

There was no old or new business.

The meeting adjourned at 3:20 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary.

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine