[Iabs-talk] FW: ICBV Office Update August 29, 2017

denise Avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 23:10:43 UTC 2017

Denise R. Avant, President

Live the life you want.

For more information about NFBI,

Go to www.nfbofillinois.org.

From: Kathy Ungaro [mailto:icbv at sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:11 PM
To: Kathy Ungaro <icbv at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: ICBV Office Update August 29, 2017

ICBV Office Update

August 29, 2017

*1) Calendar of Events

*2) Commercialization of our Rest Areas

*3) YouTube Video – Arizona BEPB Program

*4) World Travel Bargains – City Tours & Map Guide

*5) Second Sense Special Guest at RP Meet Up

*6) This Week on Eyes on Success

*7) AccuWeather App Attracts Scrutiny Over Data Sharing Practices

*8) Body Language is a Window to Unspoken Feelings

*9) Reichel Fresh Snack Item

*10) Top 25 Candy Items

*11) Saverino New Items From Biscomerica and Snak King

*12) Patterson Pure Leaf Tea and White Castle

*13) RSA Management Group Information

**1 September 9, 2017 4:00 pm

NFBI Oktoberfest in September

Location is 6919 W. Berwyn Ave. Chicago.

Cost is $25 per person plus 2 for each libation after the first.

Dear all, please mark your calendars. We are once again doing Oktoberfest in September at the Changs. This was a blast last year. Ron Cooper, has agreed to DJ again. He has awesome karaoke equipment and does a nice job. People will also bring their own instruments. We have beverages, brats, and burgers.

Proceeds go to the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois. This is an opportunity for fellowship and fun. Please bring a friend.

RSVP before September 3, 2017 to Patti at  <mailto:pattischang at gmail.com> pattischang at gmail.com or (773) 307-6440.

Please note that if you RSVP and do not cancel before September 3, 2017, we will expect payment as we purchase food based on RSVPs.

September 12-15, 2017

NABM BLAST 2017

Nashville Airport Marriott Hotel

Tradeshow September 13th

Visit  <http://www.blindmerchants.org/> www.blindmerchants.org for more information as it becomes available.  For more information, contact Nicky Gacos at  <mailto:nickycolorado at netscape.net> nickycolorado at netscape.net  or call him at (908) 464-5359 or contact Terry Smith at  <mailto:terrysmith at epbfi.com> terrysmith at epbfi.com  or 865-599-7148.

NABM is happy to announce that as a result of its relationship with NAMA, the Michigan State University Executive Leadership Program will be conducting a half-day of the BLAST training on Thursday morning.  NAMA funds the program at MSU and it has provided leadership training to hundreds of supervisory personnel in the vending industry.  Bonnie Knutson and William Donohue will provide quality training that will improve communication, enhance customer service, promote creativity, and help improve the bottom line.   You don't want to miss this.

We have other outstanding general session presentations lined up as well as the best line-up of pre-Conference breakouts ever.  These breakouts will start at noon on Tuesday, September 12th and will include a presentation by Mark Manney on theft prevention through effective hiring practices.  John Pirtle of Tennessee will present on writing effective business plans for the Randolph-Sheppard vending facility.  He will also do a creative presentation called "The Customer is Always #2."  The Social Security expert NABM contracts with will do a presentation on SSDI.  Scott Cass of the Hadley Institute will do a session on profit and loss issues for blind entrepreneurs.  John Murn will talk about maximizing profits through rebates. Vend Engine will discuss commissary opportunities.  We have sessions planned on micro markets and office coffee services.  And we've asked Jesse Hartle of RSA to do a session for Elected Committee members.  And there are more in the works.  Your biggest problem will be deciding which ones to attend.  Plan your travel to be thereby noon so you can take advantage of these great breakouts.

Staff will want to come in on Monday.  We are working with NCSAB to plan an all-day staff training on Tuesday, September 12th.  You won't want to miss this.  It promises to be the best staff training we've ever done.

October 27, 28, and 29, 2017

NFB of Illinois State Convention, Chicago Naperville Marriott

>From Patti Chang, Convention bulletin - On October 27, 28, and 29, 2017, enthusiastic Federationists will assemble in Naperville to renew our dedication in the pursuit of security, equality, and opportunity for all blind people.

The site for our convention will be the Chicago  Naperville Marriott, 1801 Naper Blvd., Naperville, IL 60563 phone (630) 505-4900.  Room rates are $104 per night plus applicable taxes. Please indicate that you are with the NFBI to get this special rate.  Make reservations by calling  (800) 228-9290.  Reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card or a one night deposit.  Our cutoff date for reservations is October 6.

This year’s convention will kick off on Friday with our resolutions committee meeting.  Come learn and participate in our governing process.

The Resolutions Committee will be chaired by Patti Chang.   ALL resolutions must be submitted by October 13, 2017.  She  may be contacted at (773) 307-6440 or e-mail at pattischang at gmail.com <mailto:pattischang at gmail.com> .

IABS IDOL will occur Friday evening.  Those wanting to perform during the IABS Idol should contact IABS by e-mailing Adrienne Falconer at afalc2 at gmail.com <mailto:afalc2 at gmail.com> .  Please put IABS IDOL in your subject line.

Our general session will convene on Saturday, October 28, at 9 a.m.  During Saturday’s general sessions we will hear a National Report regarding NFB happenings delivered by our National Representative, President Mark Riccobono.  His bio can be found at https://nfb.org.  We will hear presentations on the blind vendor  program  from Donnie Anderson, Chairman of the Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors, the Cane Legal Clinic and parental rights from  Paul Rink, Director of the Cane Legal Clinic, and  the tollway project from Dr. Janet Szlyk, President and CEO of the Chicago Lighthouse.  We will also be joined by Quinetta Wade, Director of the Department of Rehabilitation Services, who will talk about the services for the blind in our state. Patti Chang, Illinois Liaison for the KNFB Reader and NFBI board member, Bill Reif, will talk about and demonstrate the KNFB Reader for Windows . We will have a presentation on audio described plays, hear from our national representative from the National Association of Blind Students, and much more.

We will have a Saturday parent breakfast and a Sunday student breakfast.  We will have both student and parent luncheons on Saturday.  In addition, there will be a  breakout session for parents of blind children.

Saturday evening will culminate with our annual banquet, featuring an inspiring  address from our National Representative, our National President, Mark Riccobono. We will also see the much-anticipated scholarship awards.

Sunday morning’s general session will begin with Braille is Beautiful and we will hear from other blind people sharing their experiences.  Resolutions will be voted on during the Sunday morning session.  Adjournment is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. on October 29.

Advance registration for the convention made before October 13 is $5. Registration after that date or at convention will be $15.   This year you can register and pay online at www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> .  If you are mailing your form and payment, the registration form and fees for breakfasts, luncheon, and banquet should be sent before October 13 to Patti Chang, Treasurer NFBI 6919 W. Berwyn Ave. 60656, made payable to NFB of Illinois.  Please do not send cash.

We will host a meeting for parents of blind children at 7 a.m. on Saturday. The student business meeting will be held on Sunday morning at 7:00 a.m.  These are both breakfast meetings.

Two breakfasts are planned.  Their cost is $10.  We will have two luncheons for all those interested in student and/or parent issues on Saturday.  The cost for either luncheon will be $15. The banquet on Saturday night will start at 7 p.m. and tickets will cost $30.

Those with special dietary needs for any of the meals should contact Patti Chang, (773) 307-6440 or pattischang at gmail.com <mailto:pattischang at gmail.com> .  The deadline for such requests is October 13.

Kids’ Kamp (childcare) will be available on Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Kids’ Kamp is free to all children ages 3 to 12 who are registered for the convention. A separate release form must be filled out at time of registration.

For those needing financial assistance to attend the convention, all applications must be submitted to President Denise Avant no later than September 1, 2016  at 3410 N. Lake Shore Dr. Apt. 4L-M, Chicago, IL 60657 or e-mail davant1958 at gmail.com <mailto:davant1958 at gmail.com> .  The form to fill out for financial assistance from the James Chappell and Carmen Dennis Memorial Fund is available on our web site at www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org>  or one will be mailed to you upon request.

Federation conventions change the lives of blind and sighted people alike! Don’t miss out on this opportunity for change! Join us for our best convention yet!  Come and live the life you want!!!

**2 Shared by Ed Birmingham, President IABM

I regret to inform all of you that the RS community has only sent in 1,300 letters to their members of Congress opposing the Commercialization of our Rest Areas.

We are far short of our goal of 10,000 letters. Please get the word out, sign up your friends, employees, family members, ect. Trust me, this isn’t “ FAKE NEWS “  This is real and very serious! Let’s roll up our sleeves and get to work!

>From Terry Smith, NABM

Dear Randolph-Sheppard Stakeholder: As we have told you over the last few weeks, momentum is growing for commercialization of our interstate rest areas. A bill has been introduced in the House of Representatives. The President’s proposed budget for FY 2018 communicated support for the idea. The infrastructure bill that will presumably be introduced next year is expected to include the option of commercialization of the rest areas through public private partnerships. Almost 400 blind entrepreneurs could lose their businesses. The threat is real.

We need your help in preventing this from happening. We need for you to contact your members of Congress today to tell them you oppose commercialization of the interstate rest areas. We’ve made it easy for you. Go to the link below:

 <https://nfb.constituentvoice.net/nfbaction> https://nfb.constituentvoice.net/nfbaction

and send a letter to your two U.S. Senators and House member. The website will automatically find your members for you. It is as simple as 1-2-3-4.

1.  Review the letter on the website that has been drafted for you to send;

2.  Fill in all of the blanks with your contact information;

3.  Click on “Preview Letters”;

4.  Click on “Send All Letters”

It couldn’t be any easier.

But don’t stop there:

1.  Get all of your friends and family members to send letters;

2.  Poste the link on your Facebook Page or Twitter account and encourage followers to help out the cause;

3.  Contact your member of Congress’ local office and ask for a meeting when they are home in a few weeks for the summer recess. We will be sharing talking points for such meetings or you can go to our website at www.blindmerchants.org <http://www.blindmerchants.org>  to review them.Talking points will be up soon.

We need every U.S. Senator and member of Congress to receive as many letters as possible and we need them from as many different addresses as possible. If every blind entrepreneur sends a letter and gets 4 other people to do the same, we will generate over 10,000 letters. We can beat that.

Nicky Gacos, President

NABM

Don’t sit on the sidelines. Get involved

**3 Shared by Nicky Gacos, NABM President, and Allen Curry of Arizona

Watch this YouTube clip on the Arizona BEPB program.

Program gives new life to legally blind business owners -

The Business Enterprise Program teaches people who are legally blind to be their own business owners.  <https://youtu.be/bD8MMRDVLx0> https://youtu.be/bD8MMRDVLx0

**4 Shared by Dan Dwyer, ICBV

Dan wanted to share the accomplishments of one of our very own; Andre Mack. Andre has been successful in creating a travel App which he has even earned sponsorships from car makers and others supporting his efforts.

If you would like to check it out, follow the appropriate link:

World Travel bargains - City Tours & Map Guide

Apple

 <https://appsto.re/us/aR2hhb.i> https://appsto.re/us/aR2hhb.i

Google

 <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cheeps.asasa&hl=en> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cheeps.asasa&hl=en

**5 From Secod Sense - Special Guest at RP Meet Up

On Saturday, Sept. 9 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm, our RP Meet Up welcomes Ben Shaberman, Foundation Fighting Blindness’ senior science writer.  Ben will be joining us via phone with an update on the latest research and science regarding retinitis pigmentosa and related eye conditions.  If you have questions for Ben, email them ahead of time to Polly Abbott.  Can’t make the meeting in person? Call in via our conference line.  To register and for the conference call-in numbers, please call Polly Abbott or email Polly.  <mailto:polly.abbott at second-sense.org> polly.abbott at second-sense.org 312-236-8569.

**6 This Week on Eyes On Success

1734 Retinitis Pigmentosa Research (Aug. 16, 2017)

Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a group of rare, genetic disorders that involve a breakdown and loss of cells in the retina?which is the light sensitive tissue that lines the back of the eye. Hosts Nancy and Peter torpey talk with Ruanne Vent-Schmidt, a graduate student with RP whose research is focused on understanding the condition and developing treatments.

1735 Digitizing AFB's Audio Files (Aug. 23, 2017)

Jane Kronheim and Roger Cicchese are audio engineers who specialize in

restoring old audio recordings. Recently, they digitized recordings of Helen

Keller for the archives of the American Foundation for the Blind. Listen to

this and other recordings as hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with them

about their work and share some fun stories.

1736 Tips for Technology and Daily Living (Aug. 30, 2017)

Back by popular demand, this episode is another in the series of useful tips

and tricks that you might or might not have known about. Hosts Nancy and

Peter Torpey share ideas and demos from listeners (as well as from

themselves) on topics from using smart phones and computers to dealing with everyday life. There's sure to be a gem in here for everyone.

The audio and show notes can be found at:

www.EyesOnSuccess.net <http://www.eyesonsuccess.net/>  and on iTunes.

**7 Public Service Announcement from SmartBrief on Leadership

AccuWeather app attracts scrutiny over data sharing practices

A security researcher discovered that the AccuWeather mobile app appeared to be sharing various pieces of data -- including the names of the Wi-Fi routers users connected to -- with a company called Reveal Mobile, even if location tracking was turned off. AccuWeather and Reveal Mobile released a statement in which they asserted that AccuWeather had not used the data "for any purpose" and that the issue was being fixed.

Gizmodo (8/22),  TechCrunch (8/22) https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/22/accuweather-revealmobile-ios/

**8 From SmartBrief on Leadership

Body language is a window to unspoken feelings (Ben White/Unsplash)

Crossed arms and legs can indicate defensiveness, and touching the face or holding something in front of your body can signal nervousness, writes David Grossman. You can show interest by leaning your upper body forward and making eye contact or signal self-confidence by keeping your head up and shoulders back. LeaderCommunicator Blog (8/21) http://www.yourthoughtpartner.com/blog/bid/32503/what-you-need-to-know-about-body-language-to-communicate-effectively

**9 Shaared by Kevin Dwyer, ICBV

Unique item that Vistar is carrying, this has an off invoice deal which means you should see a $3.00 per case off your invoice through September 29th.

Reichel Fresh Snack Solution

4430-36 PRO2snax - Apples & Cheddar w/Cranberries & Cashews

4425-36 PRO2snax - Carrots, White Cheddar & Almonds

4400-36 PRO2snax - Apples & Mild Cheddar Cheese

4400-36 Products Listed In Ranking Order By Brand

4410-36 Dippin' Stix - Apples & Caramel w/Peanuts

4100-36 PRO2snax - Sweet Gala Apples & Almonds

4104-36 Dippin' Stix - Apples & Caramel

4103-36 Dippin' Stix - Baby Carrots & Ranch Dip

4108-36 Dippin' Stix - Apples & Peanut Butter

4102-36 Dippin' Stix - Sweet Gala Apples & Caramel

4117-36Dippin' Stix - Apples & Yogurt Fruit Dip

**10 Shared by Vistar, Dan Brander Top 25 Candy Items

Rank, Item, Description

1       MMM50240        Snickers Singles Wht Box

2       MMM50215        M&M's Peanut Candies Wht Box

3       MMM50238        Twix Caramel Cookie Bar Wht Bx

4       HEC44060 Reese's PButter Cup White Box

5       HEC24526 Kit Kat Big Kat White Box

6       PIM2898    Fruit Snack Mixed Fruit

7       MMM42208        3 Musketeers Singles

8       MMM01160        Skittles Fruit

9       MMM1244 M&M's Peanut Butter Chocolate

10     MMM42206        Milky Way Singles

11     NES64362 Butterfinger Bar Singles

12     HEC80750 Payday Bar White Box

13     MMM50652        M&M's Milk Chocolate Wht Box

14     WMW23003        Gum Doublemint 6 Stick

15     MMM01151        Starburst Original Fruit Chews

16     WMW22676        Gum Spearmint SF 6 stk

17     HEC44251 Reese's Peanut Butter Cup LSC

18     NES01588 Baby Ruth Singles

19     HEC54415 Twizzlers Strawberry White Box

20     WMW22677        Gum Peppermint SF 6 Stick

21     HEC57713 Twizzlers Strawberry

22     NES13170 Crunch Bar

23     WMW23005        Gum Juicy Fruit 6 Stick

24     HEC24160 Hershey Almond White Box

25     JAR1506199       Sour Patch Watermelon

**11 From Saverino & Associates, Mark Saverino

New Item from Biscomerica Sweet Serenity Caramel Sea Salt Item number 59962 60 count 2 ounce $0.366 per unit.

New Item from Snak King Spicy Chile N’ Lime Taco-Litos Item number 260676 60 count 2 ounce $0.467 per unit.

The Bold Combination of Spicy Chile N’ Lime Packs of intense flavor.

Your taste buds will be greeted with robust blend

Of red hot chili peppers and a zest of lime

**12 From Paterson Inc, Cathy Aldrich

I am pleased to announce that Patterson Company is now representing Pure Leaf Tea and White Castle. If you are interested in sampling any of the Pure Leaf Teas please let me know.

White Castle has some published off invoice allowances for September.

01132 JALAPENO CHEESEBURGER 2 PACK $0.64 off invoice

05032 SAUSAGE EGG & CHEESE 2 PACK $0.64 off invoice

**13 From RSA Management Group

RSA Management Purchase Power Deals

Earn Extra Rebates on the following:

NEW DEALS THIS WEEK

PEPSI INNOVATION PRODUCTS (Authorized Bottlers Only)

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.00 per case  Kickstart 12 oz. Hydration Raspberry Citrus

$1.00 per case Kickstart 16 oz. Mango Lime

$1.00 per case Starbucks 11 oz. Doubleshot w/ Protein – Caramel Flavor

$1.00 per case  Lipton Tea House 14 oz. Glass Bottles – 4 Flavors

G.H CRETORS

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

 Rebates             Products

10% per case    G.H Creator’s Popcorn – All Products

HI I’M SKINNY

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

10% per case    Hi I’m Skinny Snacks– All Products

NIAGRA WATER

Deal Date:  THROUGH SEPTEMBER, 2017

Rebates             Products

$0.50 per case  16.9 oz. Niagra Water – 84 CASE PALLET PRICING ONLY ($3.99/c)

Deals ending in August

FERRERO

Deal Date:  JUNE 15 – AUGUST 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$11.88 per case Nutella and Go– All Products – (PLUS RSA EXCLUSIVE 10% REBATE)

FRITO LAY – ITEMS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ALL MARKETS

Deal Date:  AUGUST, 2017 – TAKE DELIVERY BY SEPTEMBER 17, 2017

Rebates             Products

$3.20 per case  LSS Miss Vickie’s Kettle Chips – ALL FLAVORS

$1.92 per case  LSS Funyuns Onion Snacks (44399)

$1.92 per case  LSS Frito Honey BBQ Corn Chip Twists (44353)

$1.92 per case  LSS Rold Gold and Rold Gold Pretzel Thins

$2.40 per case  2 oz. LSS Grandma’s Mini Choco. Chip Cookies (61503)

$1.80 per case  2.5 oz. Grandma’s Big Cookie – 60 ct. – ALL FLAVORS

$5.00 per case  Nut Harvest Nuts – ALL FLAVORS

$2.40 per case  Gatorade Bar – ALL FLAVORS

GATORADE ORDER THROUGH AUTHORIZED PBC ONLY

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.50 per case   20 oz. Gatorade and G2 – ALL FLAVORS

PEPSI INNOVATION PRODUCTS (Authorized Bottlers Only)

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.00 per case  Kickstart 12 oz. Hydration Raspberry Citrus

$1.00 per case Kickstart 16 oz. Mango Lime

$1.00 per case Starbucks 11 oz. Doubleshot w/ Protein – Caramel Flavor

$1.00 per case  Lipton Tea House 14 oz. Glass Bottles – 4 Flavors

PEPSI (Authorized Bottlers Only)

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.50 per case  20 oz. Sobe Life Water – All Flavors

$2.00 per case  18.5 oz. Lipton Pure Leaf – All flavors

$3.00 per case  1L and 700ML Sport Cap Lifewtr

$2.00 per case  20 oz. Lipton Mango

STARBUCKS (Authorized Bottlers Only)

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$2.00 per case   Starbucks Energy plus Coffee – All Flavors

$2.00 per case   6.5 oz can Starbucks  Doubleshot Expresso

Thank you,

Kathy Ungaro

ICBV, Business Manager

(630)234-4444

Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors

53 W. Jackson Blvd. Suite 502

Chicago, IL 60604

This message (including attachments) is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without further distribution and reply to the sender that you have received the message in error.