[Iabs-talk] chicago minutes october 2017

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 2 13:55:09 UTC 2017

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER

MEETING OF OCTOBER 14, 2017

The October 2017 meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
Chicago Chapter was called to order by Second Vice-President Jemal Powell at
1:00 P.M.

Program: Jemal lead a program eliciting suggestions for future programs.
Items suggested were crime and safety, assistance while shopping in a store,
what our rights are as blind people, what is the roll of the NFB board and
the various committees, adaptive technology, bookshare, pedestrian safety,
the white cane law, and the political process of the Washington seminar.
Glenn Moore noted that October 15 is White Cane Safety Day.

Presidential Reports

National Presidential Release: Mark Riccobono, President, National
Federation of the Blind reported on the following items. President Riccobono
will be our National Representative at our state convention. October is Meet
the Blind Month. We all need to be visible in the community as contributing
members to society. October 15 is now referred to as White Cane Awareness
Day. We should invite our friends to make donations to the National
Federation of the Blind. One can donate by going to www.nfb.org/donate2017.
The Nagdu AP has been recently revised. It will be available in the Ap store
at the end of October. Don Gillmore passed away on September 13. We were all
encouraged to keep Pam in our prayers.  Following the Presidential release,
members gave their condolences to Pam on Don's passing.

State Presidential Report: Debbie Stein substituted for Denise Avant. She
reported on the following items. The state convention will occur on October
27-29 at the Chicago Marriott in Naperville. Items of note at the convention
are the resolutions committee, IABS Idle, breakfasts for parents and
students, the parent-student luncheon and the banquet. Online registration
is now closed. One can register at the convention itself.

Secretary's Report: It was moved and seconded to approve the minutes of the
September meeting. The motion carried.

Treasurers Report: Marco Giannotti gave the treasurers report for the third
quarter. Beginning balance, July 1, 2017 $4,801.09. Income, $$953. Expenses
$375. Ending Balance, September 30, $$5,253.09. The report was approved as
given.

In fundraising, Bob Widman talked about having a possible Bulls fundraiser.
It was moved and seconded to have the fundraiser. The motion was defeated.
Our annual Read-a-thon will take place on Saturday, November 11 1:00-4:00
P.M. Those participating will pay $10 to enter. If they raise more than $10,
their admission fee will be waved. It was moved, seconded and passed to hold
a Games Night following the January meeting. Our Christmas auction will take
place immediately following the December meeting which will begin at 12:00
Noon.

Song for Idle: The chapter chose Raindrops keep falling on my head.

The meeting adjourned at 3:21 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

Gina Falvo, Secretary Pro Tem

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine