[Iabs-talk] chicago minutes january 2017

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Mon Feb 6 15:47:24 UTC 2017

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER
MEETING OF JANUARY 14, 2017
At 1:00 P.M. First Vice-President Patti Chang called to order the
January 2017 meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois Chicago Chapter
What’s Happening: Pam Gillmore reported that her husband Don is stable
at this point. David Meyer asked for prayers for Bob and Nancy Gardner.
Nancy’s mother passed away recently. There were 23 people present.
Program: Jemal Powell introduced our program for the month which
addressed how . we might respond when people ask us if we would like to
see or tell us how much better off we might be if we had sight. Many
stories and observations on this topic were put fourth. The discussion
emphasized that this is a very individualized topic.

Presidential Reports
National Presidential Release: Mark, Riccobono, President, National
Federation of the Blind reported on the following items. President
Riccobono will attend the Consumer Electronics show and will do some
networking with manufacturers of technology, as well as educating
people about the KNFB Reader. The Washington Seminar will happen later
in January. It will begin with the Grate Gathering In meeting at 5:00
P.M. on Monday, January 30. The fact sheets will soon be available.
There are several new issues we will be dealing with this year.
President Riccobono then went into a discussion about priorities for
the coming year. The first of these was building membership and
engaging new members. We must step up our efforts to protect and assist
blind parents as well as parents of blind children. We also need to
continue to improve educational opportunities for blind children. We
need to improve accessibility of educational materials for blind
children. Finally, we need to continue to raise expectations for blind
people. Finally, we need to find better ways to communicate with each
other, our supporters, friends and donors. Anyone who has any ideas on
how to facilitate better communication may email President Riccobono at
officeofthepresident at nfb.org. You may call him as well at 410-659-9314.
We have begun our “Build” program, Blind Users Innovating and Leading
Design.) The purpose of this program is to test items for their
accessibility and to make recommendations when they are necessary.
Please go to nfb.org/build-team for more information.

This year, the National convention will take place at the Rosen Shingle
Creek Hotel in Orlando, July 10-15. Room rates are $83 for singles and
doubles and $89 for triples and quads. Currently, an additional 12.5%
tax is in effect. To make reservations, call the Rosen Shingle Creek
Hotel at 866-996-6338.
A $95 fee will be assessed when you make your reservation. This fee is
partially refundable if you cancel before June 1. There will be no
refunds for those who cancel after that date.

Several federationists and others have passed away in the past month,
including Lisa Bonderson’s father, Alice Lockwood, Charles Evans and
Mike Freeman. Patrina Pendarvis, President of our Mississippi affiliate
just graduated from the Louisiana Center for the Blind. Linda and
Anthony Clay were married on December 24.
State Presidential Report
Denise Avant, NFBI President reported on the following. Washington
Seminar will be coming up at the end of the month. Patti Chang, Steve
Hastalis, David Meyer and Jemal Powell are representing Chicago in this
effort. Emma Meyer is our student rep and Julietta Meyer will be our
parent rep. Applications are now being taken for both our National and
State scholarships. National scholarship applications must be in by
12:00 A.M. Eastern time on March 31. State scholarships must be in by
12:00 A.M.  Central time. Scholarship applications for the National
scholarship can be found by going to www.nfb.org/scholarships. The
state application is on the NFB of Illinois website,
www.nfbofillinois.org. We will have a student seminar this year on
April 22. It will occur at the Midway Holiday Inn. If you know any
students wishing to attend, please contact Emma Meyer, Student Division
President.Those in need of financial assistance may fill out a
Chappell-Dennis form and submit it to Denise by April 1. Those who are
attending convention for the first time may apply to the Jernigan fund
for assistance. Please have your application into denise by April 1, so
she has time to write a presidential recommendation and send everything
to National by April 15. Those in need of financial assistance to the
national convention must fill out a Chappell-Dennis application and
send it to Denise by May 1. We will again have two Braille Enrichment
for Literacy and Learning, (Bell) programs. The Chicago program will
begin on July 17, and will run for two weeks. The Springfield program
is for one week and will begin in early August., the face-to-face board
meeting will occur on August 26 at the Naperville Marriott Hotel, which
is also the site for our convention this year. The student division is
looking for adult mentors. If you are interested, please call Amy Bosco.
Chairman Chang talked about the four issues we will be presenting at
Washington Seminar They are the Marrakesh treaty, the Accessibility for
students in higher education act, providing a tax credit for those who
purchase blindness related technology and a one time appropriation to
the National Library Service to purchase braille displays which should
make braille production less costly and make braille itself more available.
Denise mentioned that the next state board meeting would take place on
January 24. Please call 641-715-3273 and use the code 6324.
Fundraising Report: David Meyer mentioned that if there was anyone who
wished to attend Games night and did not have funds to cover the cost,
Debbie Stein was donating two reservations for this fundraiser. We will
again have our Beggars fundraiser on Wednesday, April 19. Flyers for
this event will be available at the February meeting. To participate,
you must hand in a flyer when placing an order. Beggars will donate 20%
of the cost of your order minus tax and gratuity. We should start
thinking about when to schedule a White Sox fundraiser. Dave also
described NewsLine and offered people who did not already have the
service a chance to sign up.
Secretary’s Report: It was moved and seconded to approve minutes for
the December 2016 chapter meeting. The motion carried.
Treasurers Report: Steve Hastalis gave the report for the fourth
quarter of 2016. Beginning balance, October 1, $6,678. Income, $1,884.
Expenses, $2,975. Ending balance December 31, $5,487. The report was
approved as presented.
Chairman Chang mentioned that we will have a brain storming session  on
things we wish to dedicate our efforts to during the coming year.
There was no old business.
New Business: Steve Hastalis mentioned that he was at a transportation
conference where he asked an expert who was both a lawyer and a civil
engineer if one might some day be able to operate a self driving car
without a traditional drivers lisence? The presenter did not reject the
idea out of hand. We need to continue to advocate for the right to
operate self driving cars when they become available. Bill Reif
mentioned that regulations have now been established regarding the
noise level of hi-bred cars covered in the Pedestrian Safety
Enhancement Act. Melissa Fuller mentioned that there will be a tour
provided of some new train stations.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:18 P.M.
Respectfully Submitted,
David Meyer, Secretary