[Iabs-talk] chicago minutes February 2017

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 28 19:01:42 UTC 2017

NFBI Chicago Chapter Minutes

Meeting of February 11, 2017

At 1:00 P.M.  President Debbie Stein called to order the February 2017
meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois Chicago Chapter.

What's Happening: Mary Grunwald is continuing to improve her stamina,
walking from Clinton and Madison to the Exchequer Pub.  There were 26
members present.  Ken Staley lost a brother to cancer.

Gregg Rosenberg had to undergo a surgery. Steve Hastalis' sister had stage 3
kidney cancer which has apparently been eliminated via surgery.

Program: Jemal Powell, program chairman lead a discussion about Washington
Seminar, which took place January 29 through February 2.  He described
Washington Seminar as a time when federationists from across the country
talk with members of congress about what he would like to see passed into
law during the current congressional session.

The four initiatives for this year are as follows.  The Accessible
Instructional Materials for Students in Higher Education act, the Marrakesh
Treaty, an appropriation for the National Library Service to be used for the
purchase of braille displays for blind patrons, and a refundable tax credit
for the purchase of blindness related technology.

All four pieces of legislation were defined in greater detail by people who
went to the Washington Seminar.

We had a chance to meet with seven congressional representatives from
Illinois this year.  This was the best we have done in direct meetings with
congress officials in some time.

President Stein mentioned that Washington Seminar represents a beginning of
our legislative efforts each year.  We will be following up with thank you
notes, other correspondence and appointments with Congressional reps from
Illinois during the course of the year to revisit our issues.

Secretary's minutes: It was moved and seconded to approve minutes for the
January 2017 meeting.  The minutes were approved as presented.

Presidential reports:

National Presidential Release

Mark Riccobono, president, National Federation of the Blind touched upon the
following.  President Riccobono thanked those who attended Washington
Seminar, as well as those who will eventually represent the Federation in
follow-up appointments.  Congressman Phil Roe has again sponsored our
Instructional Materials for students in Higher Education Act.  We had a
successful congressional reception, where ten congressmen and senators
addressed those in attendance.  The introductory price of $19.95 for the
Android version of the KNFB Reader is now a thing of the past.  This version
now carries the same $99.99 selling price as the iPhone version for this
product.  Expect a Windows application for this product soon.

President Riccobono set a goal for each chapter to bring in one new member
in March.  A new filmed titled Do you Dream in Color will be released on
February 10.  It will stress artificial barriers blind students currently
face due to social and educational misunderstandings.  A revision of our
Teacher of Tomorrow program is now underway.  We are still looking for
material for our blind parent's website.  Materials may be submitted to
Melisa Riccobono.  You may call her at 410-659-9314 ext. 2466 or by emailing
parenting at nfb.org.

Posters of our Guinness World Record umbrella mosaic are available through
the Independence market for $1 each.

There have been a number of births and deaths within the Federation over the
past month.  June rose Killien passed away on January 30.  Megan Benning
passed away in late January.  Several parents of federationists have also
passed away, including Jennifer Dunnam's father, Dr.  Maurer's mother Romona
Migurelli, and Carol Castelano's mother.  Ila Morningstarr was born on
January 17.  McKenzie was born to Lisa Martinez on January 24.

State Presidential Report: Debbie Stein gave the state presidential report.
We are looking for students to apply for both the National and State
Scholarship programs.  One must be a full-time student in 2017, be legally
blind, and must attend the entire National or State convention if chosen as
a scholarship winner.  We are also looking for applicants for our state
Internship program which can be done throughout the entire year.  The intern
will engage in volunteer work that he or she would find.  We would provide a
stipend for this experience.  Our student division is planning a seminar
titled Beating the Barriers.  It will take place April 22 at the Holiday Inn
Midway.  One may register by going to www.nfbofillinois.org.

One may apply for assistance to this event through the Chappell-Dennis fund.
The National convention will take place in Orlando at the Rosen Shingle
Creek Hotel July 10-15.  One may apply for assistance through the
Chappell-Dennis Fund, or if you are a first time attendee, you are encourage
to apply for a Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship.  One must apply for
Jernigan funding by April 1.  One must apply for Chappell-Dennis funding by
May 1.

Possible Chapter PROJECTS

President Stein led a brainstorming discussion where people put fourth ideas
on what the Chicago Chapter should work on in the coming year.  The
following ideas and projects were suggested.  Information
leafletting-petitioning the public for support on legislative initiatives,
conducting interviews on radio, discussing who we are and what we do.  Hold
a blood drive, taking part in parades, participate in walk-a-thons to
support other organizations, resume appearances at ICRE Wood, set up an
activity with the Mayor's office of Special Events or the Mayor's Office for
people with Disabilities, presenting to support groups or hospitals.  Keep a
supply of the Guinness world record posters. Pam Gillmore volunteered to do
this.  Melisa Fuller volunteered to look into a speaking engagement at Hines
Hospital.

Fundraising

Dave Meyer mentioned the upcoming Beggars fundraiser which will occur on
April 19 at 310 South Clinton Avenue.  Dave will have flyers at the March
and April meetings.  Dave also described the possibility of a White Sox
fundraiser again this year.  The Sox are offering a very attractive package
for any group selling more than 150 tickets.  The organization would receive
a $3 price break on each ticket sold.  It was moved seconded and passed to
hold a Sox fundraiser.  The date will be August 12 vs Kansas City.

Meetings

President Stein mentioned that the meeting schedule will be revised over the
next several months.  The March meeting will occur on Saturday, March 4, due
to the St.  Patrick's Day parade occurring on March 11.  We will have an
April meeting.  It will be scheduled for April 8.  Elections will occur at
the April meeting.  Those wishing to vote who are not presently members must
pay at the March meeting.  Dues are $5 annually. There will be no meeting in
May.

New business Second Sense will hold a technology fair on May 13.  All of us
were encouraged to attend.

The next board meeting is a face to face board meeting on March 4 at 11:30
A.M.

Melisa Fuller suggested doing a fundraiser with Omaha steaks.  She will look
into this idea.

The meeting adjourned at approximately 3:15 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary