[Iabs-talk] FW: Need your supportFW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Pre-Convention Legislative Alert template email for representatives

Patti S Chang pattischang at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 10:47:54 UTC 2017

Below is the email I sent to congressman Quigley this morning to quickly move on our legislative alert. I share it in case any of you want to employ it as a quick template to email your representative. If you do so, please be sure to copy John Pare at jpare at nfb.org so our governmental affairs team can effectively follow up. Let’s show them how active we can be in Illinois on our issues.

Dear Congressman Quigley:

I write to again ask your support of blind constituents. I begin by thanking you for your past support. I live in your district at 6919 W. Berwyn Ave. As you know the National Federation of the Blind puts forth an annual legislative agenda. I am blind and am personally impacted by issues facing our community. On behalf of myself and the members of the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois, I ask that you cosponsor the following bills:

1.      H.R. 1772,

2.      2.  H.R. 1734, and

3.      , H.R. 1377.

A short summary of each bill is included below. I have also included a list of all the current cosponsors.

Thanks for your support.

Patti S. Gregory-Chang

(773) 307-6440

Bill Summaries

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH)

This bill will promote instructional technology and content that are accessible to the blind and other students with print disabilities. Read the AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more.

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)
These bills will facilitate the purchase of access technology for blind people by creating a refundable, per person tax credit. Read the Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact sheet to learn more <https://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act> .

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME)
This bill will increase employment opportunities by removing stigmas and low expectations propagated by section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Note that the bill now phases out subminimum wages over a six year period corresponding to the recommendation of the National Council on Disability. Read the TIME Act fact sheet to learn more. <https://nfb.org/timefactsheet>

Current cosponsors

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH) Current Cosponsors

Rep. Roe, David P. [R-TN-1] - Sponsor

Rep. Young, Don [R-AK-At Large]

Rep. Garamendi, John [D-CA-3]

Rep. Courtney, Joe [D-CT-2]

Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]

Rep. Ross, Dennis A. [R-FL-15]

Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]

Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16]*

Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8]

Rep. Brooks, Susan W. [R-IN-5]

Rep. Visclosky, Peter J. [D-IN-1]

Rep. McGovern, James P. [D-MA-2]

Rep. Nolan, Richard M. [D-MN-8]

Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]

Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3]

Rep. Thompson, Bennie G. [D-MS-2]

Rep. Amodei, Mark E. [R-NV-2]

Rep. Stefanik, Elise M. [R-NY-21]

Rep. Price, David E. [D-NC-4]

Rep. Thompson, Glenn [R-PA-5]

Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]

Rep. Green, Gene [D-TX-29]

Rep. Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [R-WI-5]

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA) Current Cosponsors

Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3] - Sponsor

Rep. Roybal-Allard, Lucille [D-CA-40]

Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12]

Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]

Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]

Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-16]

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME) Current Cosponsors

Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3] – Sponsor

Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]

Rep. Swalwell, Eric [D-CA-15]

Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]

Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]

Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1]

Rep. Lujan Grisham, Michelle [D-NM-1]

Rep. Kaptur, Marcy [D-OH-9]

Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]