[Iabs-talk] May IABS Minutes

Emma Meyer meyeremma13 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:23:57 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,
pasted below are the May IABS Minutes.

NFB of Illinois; Illinois Association of Blind Students

Board Teleconference Minutes

May 21, 2017, 7pm, via 641-715-3273 code 4227 (IABS)

BOARD PRESENT:

Emma Meyer (president)

Adrienne Falconer (VP 1)

Glenn Moore (Treasurer)
Tori Clark

Aziz Zeidieh

GUESTS:

Dustin Cather

AGENDA:

SPRING SEMINAR RECAP/FEEDBACK:

        Clark suggests speakers presented well, but, at times, could
have been better prepared with more structured messaging. Also, panels
would have
Benefited from tighter time limits to allow more Q & A.

        Moore: The first panel’s use of time in the morning, before
seminar, worked well in adapting their break-outs for the day’s
audience. To help speakers
be prepared, it may help to request ahead an outline, notes or any
info they would like included in a pre or post seminar info-pack for
guests. We might
Also follow-up with a guest-survey (in the past, it has been just a
few questions like “what did you like best; suggestions, comments;
topic you would
Like to learn about at a future seminar; etc.”).

        Meyer can take care of this.

        FUNDRAISING:

        Meyer: We have been considering travel packs for convention; thoughts?

        Moore: I’d be ok with that. We sold these some years ago. They
are a plastic pouch with basic personal-care-items for travel. It may
be for people
The main drawback people have is concern they won’t sell. We had a
small number left over for a while
But I think the originals sold fine but the last ones just weren’t
sold. They won’t sell like hotcakes, but I think are a steady item.
We’ve done laptop
Bags, by comparison, they’d be smaller and for more general users. We
might ask the Affiliate to split efforts (like other fundraisers we’ve
done) since
The state will not have a specific fundraiser for National.

        Meyer, Nabs has said they still welcome promotions on their
listserv (National has an option this year for submitting fundraisers
to inform convention
Registrants).

        Meyer will contact senior affiliate members about logistics
for the fundraiser.

        Moore thinks it most efficient to get the components, then we
assemble the kits/packs with volunteers at chapter meetings, etc. One
suggestion
Is make the bags bigger than the ones we had (so a toothbrush can fit).

        THOSE PLANNING TO ATTEND CONVENTION:

        Emma Meyer

        Tori Clark

        Moore, probably [post-note, now definite yes]

        Amy Bosko, mentioned as yes

        Dustin Cather

        NABS ELECTION FORUM MEETING:

        Meyer; has been asked for a time for people running for NABS
positions to talk. Rather than have this at an IABS board meeting, she
asks those

        It must be before national convention. The last week of June
seems amenable for most. The meeting info will be made available so
any wishing to
Run for NABS positions can be aware of and call into the meeting.

        STATE CONVENTION:

        Meyer: this will be discussed at a later meeting, but now,
think of theme, speaker, topic or other ideas for IABS’ content at
State Convention.
Please email these to me.

        Moore: summarizes the general schedule of recent years’ conventions:

                 Friday—various activities, afternoon onward.

                 Saturday—Parent Breakfast, General Session, Parent
and Student lunch (which split to separate rooms when food is served),
Banquet.

                 Sunday—Student breakfast (with elections), General
session (state elections), adjournment of convention at noon.

        Meyer: student activities (some at the luncheon) include,
having scholarship finalists speak, awarding of Excellence in Teaching
award, presentation
By NABS Rep, etc.

        NEXT MEETING: June 11, 7pm, 641-715-3273 code 4227 (IABS)

        Moore moves to adjourn, Clark seconds.

        7:34pm, meeting adjourned.