[Iabs-talk] FW: Legislation effecting the blind of Illinois

Patti S Chang pattischang at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 14:19:57 UTC 2017

Below please find the email I just sent to congressman Quigley's office.
Feel free to employ the basic language as a template for writing to your
congressman. Thanks for all you do.

Patti S. Gregory-Chang Esq.

Dear Mr. Lee,

I am once again writing to seek Congressman Quigley's support on bills
impacting blind persons. The Congressman has been supportive in past and
please share our gratitude for his support. In this congress we have four
main concerns:

We ask that Congressman Quigley take a stand against HR 620 which would take
the ADA back to a time when disabled people had to wait for any compliance.
It will be too late to gain education if you need to wait 180 days after
notifying a noncompliant university of their violation. The class will be
long passed. One cannot wait 180 days to gain compliance in job application
processes. The job will be gone. I remember applying for jobs prior to the
ADA

s passage and encountering much difficulty despite graduating in the top
third of my class from the University of Chicago Law School. Please don't
allow the next generation to be discriminated against in the same fashion.

WE also ask that the congressman cosponsor other legislation:
Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM
HIGH)
This bill will promote instructional technology and content that are
accessible to the blind and other students with print disabilities. Read the
AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more.

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)
These bills will facilitate the purchase of access technology for blind
people by creating a refundable, per person tax credit. Read the Access
Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact sheet to learn more
<https://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act> .

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377
(TIME)
This bill will increase employment opportunities by removing stigmas and low
expectations propagated by section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Note that the bill now phases out subminimum wages over a six year period
corresponding to the recommendation of the National Council on Disability.
Read the TIME Act fact sheet to learn more. <https://nfb.org/timefactsheet>

Current cosponsors

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM
HIGH) Current Cosponsors
Rep. Roe, David P. [R-TN-1] - Sponsor
Rep. Young, Don [R-AK-At Large]
Rep. Garamendi, John [D-CA-3]
Rep. Courtney, Joe [D-CT-2]
Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]
Rep. Ross, Dennis A. [R-FL-15]
Rep. Gabbard, Tulsi [D-HI-2]
Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]
Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16]
Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8]
Rep. Brooks, Susan W. [R-IN-5]
Rep. Visclosky, Peter J. [D-IN-1]
Rep. McGovern, James P. [D-MA-2]
Rep. Nolan, Richard M. [D-MN-8]
Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]
Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3]
Rep. Thompson, Bennie G. [D-MS-2]
Rep. Amodei, Mark E. [R-NV-2]
Rep. Stefanik, Elise M. [R-NY-21]
Rep. Price, David E. [D-NC-4]
Rep. Thompson, Glenn [R-PA-5]
Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]
Rep. Green, Gene [D-TX-29]
Rep. Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [R-WI-5]

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)
Current Cosponsors
Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3] - Sponsor
Rep. Roybal-Allard, Lucille [D-CA-40]
Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12]
Rep. Lawson, Al, Jr. [D-FL-5]
Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]
Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]
Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13]
Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-16]

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377
(TIME) Current Cosponsors
Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3] - Sponsor
Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]
Rep. Swalwell, Eric [D-CA-15]
Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]
Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]
Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1]
Rep. Lujan Grisham, Michelle [D-NM-1]
Rep. Kaptur, Marcy [D-OH-9]
Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]

Thanks so much for your time. Please contact me personally with any
questions or concerns.

Patti S. Gregory-Chang Esq.

6919 W. Berwyn Ave

Chicago, IL