[Iabs-talk] FW: ICBV Office Update June 27, 2017

denise Avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 01:29:59 UTC 2017

From: Kathy Ungaro [mailto:icbv at sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 7:35 PM
To: Kathy Ungaro <icbv at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: ICBV Office Update June 27, 2017

ICBV Office Update

June 27, 2017

*1) Calendar of Events

*2) Cullen & Associates Session Update

*3) NFB Legislative Update

*4) Microsoft’s Disability Hot Line

*5) Second Sense Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016 Overviews

*6) Eyes on Success – Research in Low-Vision Technology

*7) Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired

*8) Research on the Experiences of Blind and Visually Impaired Adults Interacting with their Healthcare Providers

*9) Speaker Paul Ryan Highlights NAMA’s Fly=In Issues in Today’s Tax Reform Speech

*10) Micro Markets and Vending Machines are Apples and Oranges

*11) Vending and Blind Trade Oppose Rest Area Commercialization of Interstate Highways

*12) CIA Staffers Fired for Vending Machine Theft

*13) Distributor News Vistar

*14) Broker News Saverino & Associates

*15) Broker News Burdette Beckman

*16) RSA Management Group Information

**1 Calendar of Events

July 10-15, 2017

NFB National Convention in Orlando Florida, and will be at the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel. For more information about the national convention, and to pre-register, go to  <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org .  Please remember that hotel registration and convention pre-registration are two separate items. But to get the special hotel rate for national convention, you must register for convention.

>From Denise Avant:

The Illinois Caucus time at national convention is as follows:

Illinois, Wednesday, July 12, 7:30-8:30A, Wekiwa 8

Please join us at our caucus.

July 17-28 2017

The National Federation of the Blind is excited to offer its Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning Program, BELL, this summer in Illinois. This is a great opportunity for Braille skills to be addressed in a fun and new environment.

Where: The Chicago Lighthouse 1850 W. Roosevelt Rd. Chicago, Il 60608

When: Monday- Friday, July 17-28 2017

Times: 8:30-3:30

Cost: $50

For more information please visit:  <https://nfb.org/BELL-academy> https://nfb.org/BELL-academy

July 31- August 4, 2017

The National Federation of the Blind is excited to offer its Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning Program, BELL, this summer in Illinois. This opportunity will be a weeklong residential program on Illinois State University’s campus.

Where: Springfield, IL

Who: Blind child/Parent pairs

Cost: $50

For more information please visit:  <https://nfb.org/BELL-academy> https://nfb.org/BELL-academy

August 4, 2017 start time 3:00 p.m.

IABM Summer Get Together at Exchequer Restaurant

226 S. Wabash Avenue - Chicago, IL

Cost will be $30 per person which includes a 2 hr. open bar, salads and assorted pizza’s.

Checks must be mailed into the IABM office 53 W. Jackson Blvd. Suite 502 Chicago, IL 60604 no later than Friday July 29th.

Any questions, contact IABM 312-663-0288

September 9, 2017 4:00 pm

NFBI Oktoberfest in September

Location is 6919 W. Berwyn Ave. Chicago.

Cost is $25 per person plus 2 for each libation after the first.

Dear all, please mark your calendars. We are once again doing Oktoberfest in September at the Changs. This was a blast last year. Ron Cooper, has agreed to DJ again. He has awesome karaoke equipment and does a nice job. People will also bring their own instruments. We have beverages, brats, and burgers.

Proceeds go to the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois. This is an opportunity for fellowship and fun. Please bring a friend.

RSVP before September 3, 2017 to Patti at  <mailto:pattischang at gmail.com> pattischang at gmail.com or (773) 307-6440.

Please note that if you RSVP and do not cancel before September 3, 2017, we will expect payment as we purchase food based on RSVPs.

SAVE THE DATE:

September 12-15, 2017

NABM BLAST 2017

Nashville Airport Marriott Hotel

Tradeshow September 13th

Mark Your Calendars Now!!!!

Visit  <http://www.blindmerchants.org/> www.blindmerchants.org for more information as it becomes available.  For more information, contact Nicky Gacos at  <mailto:nickycolorado at netscape.net> nickycolorado at netscape.net  or call him at (908) 464-5359 or contact Terry Smith at  <mailto:terrysmith at epbfi.com> terrysmith at epbfi.com  or 865-599-7148.

**2 Cullen & Associates Session Update

The Illinois General Assembly reconvened last Wednesday in both regular and special session.  Pursuant to Article IV, Section 5 (b) of the Illinois Constitution, Republican Governor Bruce Rauner called the Legislature into Special Session every day this month through June 30th, unless an agreement is reached on a comprehensive budget package in advance.  The Governor’s proclamation directs the General Assembly to consider legislation that will reach a balanced budget with reforms, including property tax relief, job creation, term limits, and spending caps.  However, little progress has been made towards ending the stalemate in the last five days, despite a meeting of the four legislative leaders on Sunday.

Last Tuesday, Governor Rauner issued a call for “unity” and urged lawmakers to work together in a bipartisan fashion to pass the “Capitol Compromise,” which is the Republican budget and reform package introduced last week.  Republicans said the package would end the budget impasse by addressing the priorities of both parties.  According to an announcement released last week, the Republican budget plan caps state spending at $36 billion for the next four years, includes roughly $5 billion in spending reductions, incorporates savings from pension reforms, makes changes to state employee group health insurance, and addresses procurement reforms. The budget plan also includes reductions to automatic transfers, including transit agencies and local governments, and addresses the old bill backlog.  It is contingent upon the passage of SB 9 (Hutchinson/Davis), the revenue bill passed by the Senate, with two changes.  First, the GOP propose a four-year sunset to the income tax increases.  In addition, the GOP plan calls for revenue changes to take effect July 1, 2017, rather than be retroactive to January 1st.   As you’ll recall from previous reports, SB 9 contains several tax changes/increases, including increasing the individual income tax to 4.95% from the current 3.75% and increasing the corporate rate to 7% (9.5% with the State’s replacement tax) from the current 5.25%.

Senate President John Cullerton (D-Chicago) continues to state that the Senate has already done its work and passed a budget, revenue, and reform package to the House.  The Senate Democrats have also stated they will not approve a temporary, “stop-gap” budget.  The House conducted several “Committees of the Whole” Thursday through Sunday to discuss proposed changes to the worker’s compensation system, a property tax freeze, education reform, and pension reform.  Legislators heard from several panels of witnesses regarding the impact of the proposed changes and the State’s failure to approve a budget, but no votes were taken.  House Speaker Madigan (D-Chicago) and House Minority Leader Durkin met last week to discuss potential areas of compromise in the House, but now Leader Durkin wants the Speaker to share his budget proposal prior to meeting again.  Republicans remain skeptical that Speaker Madigan is willing to compromise on any of the Governor’s demands for reforms, particularly given the Speaker’s non-budget demands made Sunday calling on the Governor to sign the education funding reform bill passed by both Chambers, stop the $9 billion Medicaid MCO RFP and require it to proceed under the Illinois Procurement Code, and implement additional regulations on workers’ compensation insurance rates.  Democrats remain skeptical that the Republican Governor and his colleagues in the Legislature will be satisfied with any agreement.  While the four legislative leaders met behind closed doors yesterday, Governor Rauner was not present for the discussion.

In addition to the Special Session, both Chambers are convening in regular session, allowing the Legislature to address unfinished business from the spring session.  To date, the Senate has considered gubernatorial appointments.  The House is considering several pieces of unfinished business, including concurrence motions and other legislation pending before that Chamber.

Court-mandated discussions continue between the Comptroller and Medicaid managed care organizations regarding a payment schedule for the $2.8 billion in overdue bills owed to Medicaid healthcare providers.  In a letter to legislative leaders and the Governor, Mendoza stated that any mandated acceleration of Medicaid payments will affect the scheduling of “core” payments due to lack of cash-flow, such as state employee payroll, pension payments, K-12 school state aid payments, and local government revenue sharing.  Mendoza also warned legislators of ballooning debt and her inability to make “core” payments by August if a budget solution is not reached.  The parties are scheduled to appear in federal court on June 28th.  Regardless of the outcome of negotiations, Mendoza pledged that the State would continue to make debt service payments.  As of June 23rd, Illinois’ bill backlog was $14.955 billion.  Absent any changes, the deficit will grow to $23 billion by the end of FY18.

Moody’s recently downgraded the credit rating of seven state universities.  The credit rating for five of those universities is now at the lowest level (junk bond status): Southern Illinois University, Northern Illinois University, Governor’s State University, Northeastern Illinois University, and Eastern Illinois University.  The universities were downgraded because of their reliance on the state of Illinois for payments.  Should Illinois not approve a comprehensive budget by July 1, rating agencies are expected to downgrade Illinois bonds to below investment grade, or “junk status,” which witnesses last week said in committee will cost local governments $1 billion in interest payments annually (which translates into fewer services and higher taxes for local governments).  Illinois current bond ratings are triple A minus and B double negative.  The bond market has never encountered a state paralyzed by political gridlock for more than a year, and Illinois is approaching three years of a stalemate.  The State’s taxable bonds began trading at the levels of Pakistan, the Ivory Coast, and Argentina.  Annual interest costs would exceed $500 million per year if the State issued debt to pay off $7 billion in old bills, which is currently under discussion.  Institutional buyers do not want to keep defending the State to their investors on the secondary market.

And potentially compounding Illinois’ fiscal situation, U.S. Senator Dick Durbin reported that the Senate Republican healthcare overhaul at the federal level will cost Illinois $40 Billion, and 650,000 individuals could lose healthcare coverage.  With the loss of healthcare benefits, individuals will present in emergency rooms around the State, raising hospital charity care expenses and shifting their focus from care coordination to fiscal security, further compounding the State’s efforts to implement capitated managed care statewide.  State-funded healthcare services, programs, and grants have already been drastically reduced or eliminated in the areas of mental health and developmental disabilities due to the lack of a comprehensive state budget and/or cash-flow difficulties.

In other news, State Representative Elaine Nekritz (D-Buffalo Grove) announced she will not be seeking reelection and intends to leave “at the appropriate time before the end of her term.”  Nekritz serves as an Assistant Majority Leader in the House.  John Conner, a Will County assistant state's attorney, has been chosen by Democratic Party leaders to complete the year and a half remaining on state Representative Emily McAsey's term representing the 85th District.  Republican State Senator Tim Bivins (R-Dixon) announced he will not seek another term in office.  Bivins plans to serve through the remainder of his term, which concludes in January 2019.

We will continue to provide special session updates as the new fiscal year approaches this week.

**3 From John Pare via NFBNet

NFB Legislative Update

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Last week was fantastic in terms of legislative support. Our AIM HIGH bill (H.R. 1772) gained eight new cosponsors! The new cosponsors are Tim Ryan (OH), Eddie Bernice Johnson (TX), Michelle Lujan Grisham (NM), Al Lawson, Jr. (FL), John Yarmuth (KY), Seth Moulton (MA), David Cicilline (RI), and David Rouzer (NC).  These eight representatives bring the total number of cosponsors for AIM HIGH to thirty-one, and we couldn't have gotten this far without your help.

We would also like to give you a quick update on the progress of one of our other legislative priorities, the TIME Act (H.R. 1377). Last Thursday we held a legislative briefing hosted by Congressman Gregg Harper of Mississippi, the sponsor of the TIME Act, to discuss why this legislation is so critical to people with disabilities. The event drew a huge crowd of Congressional staffers that filled one of the hearing rooms in the Longworth House Office Building to capacity. We hope to ride this wave of momentum all the way to the bill’s passage.

While we are excited about the new Congressional support for our legislation, we can't let that progress slow our efforts. This marks the last week that Congress will be in session before their Independence Day recess week. We ask that all of you keep calling and emailing your representative and ask them to cosponsor H.R. 1377, H.R. 1734, and H.R. 1772. And don't forget to call your two senators to get them to cosponsor our Senate bill, S. 732 so that this surge of support will continue. The bill summaries and complete list of cosponsors for all of our legislation is included at the end of this email.

Despite our excitement regarding the increased support for our legislation to improve the lives of people with disabilities, we cannot be content to rest on our laurels. H.R. 620 is still a very real threat to the rights and freedoms of Americans with disabilities. If passed, this legislation will dramatically weaken the ADA, hindering education, independent living, and community participation for all people with disabilities. The bill prevents people with disabilities from filing a lawsuit regarding an ADA violation until the person first notifies the violator. The violator then has 60 days to respond and then has another 120 days to remedy the problem, for a total delay of 180 days. While you have your members of Congress on the phone to urge them to support our legislation, please remind them to oppose H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform Act of 2017.

The best way to contact your member of Congress is to call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for the office in question. Emailing your member of Congress is also a good idea. If you do so, please copy JPare at nfb.org <mailto:JPare at nfb.org> .

Thanks for all you do!

Warm regards,

John G. Pare Jr.

National Federation of the Blind

Bill Summaries

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH) This bill will promote instructional technology and content that are accessible to the blind and other students with print disabilities. Read the AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more.

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA) These bills will facilitate the purchase of access technology for blind people by creating a refundable, per person tax credit. Read the Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact sheet to learn more.

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME) This bill will increase employment opportunities by removing stigmas and low expectations propagated by section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Note that the bill now phases out subminimum wages over a six year period corresponding to the recommendation of the National Council on Disability. Read the TIME Act fact sheet to learn more.

Current cosponsors

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM HIGH) Current Cosponsors

Rep. Roe, David P. [R-TN-1] - Sponsor

Rep. Young, Don [R-AK-At Large]

Rep. Garamendi, John [D-CA-3]

Rep. Courtney, Joe [D-CT-2]

Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]

Rep. Ross, Dennis A. [R-FL-15]

Rep. Gabbard, Tulsi [D-HI-2]

Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]

Rep. Kinzinger, Adam [R-IL-16]

Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8]

Rep. Brooks, Susan W. [R-IN-5]

Rep. Visclosky, Peter J. [D-IN-1]

Rep. McGovern, James P. [D-MA-2]

Rep. Nolan, Richard M. [D-MN-8]

Rep. Kildee, Daniel T. [D-MI-5]

Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3]

Rep. Thompson, Bennie G. [D-MS-2]

Rep. Amodei, Mark E. [R-NV-2]

Rep. Stefanik, Elise M. [R-NY-21]

Rep. Price, David E. [D-NC-4]

Rep. Thompson, Glenn [R-PA-5]

Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]

Rep. Green, Gene [D-TX-29]

Rep. Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [R-WI-5]

Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13]

Rep. Johnson, Eddie Bernice [D-TX-30]

Rep. Grisham, Michelle Lujan [D-NM-1]

Rep. Lawson, Jr., Al [D-FL-5]

Rep. Yarmuth, John [D-KY-3]

Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]

Rep. Cicilline, David [D-RI-1]

Rep. Rouzer, David [R-NC-7]

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA) Current Cosponsors

Rep. Young, David [R-IA-3] - Sponsor

Rep. Roybal-Allard, Lucille [D-CA-40]

Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12]

Rep. Lawson, Al, Jr. [D-FL-5]

Rep. Hanabusa, Colleen [D-HI-1]

Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]

Rep. Ryan, Tim [D-OH-13]

Rep. Smucker, Lloyd [R-PA-16]

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377 (TIME) Current Cosponsors

Rep. Harper, Gregg [R-MS-3] – Sponsor

Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]

Rep. Swalwell, Eric [D-CA-15]

Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]

Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9]

Rep. Pingree, Chellie [D-ME-1]

Rep. Lujan Grisham, Michelle [D-NM-1]

Rep. Kaptur, Marcy [D-OH-9]

Rep. Gonzalez-Colon, Jenniffer [R-PR-At Large]

Rep. Moulton, Seth [D-MA-6]

**4 Shared by Deborah Kent Stein on IL-talk

Recently I learned about Microsoft's Disability Hotline. I have used this

number several times during a siege of computer woes, and found the staff on call to be quite patient, knowledgeable, and helpful. Here is the number:

Microsoft Disability Hotline

800-936-5900

**5 Shared by Second Sense

Technology changes quickly and keeping abreast of all the changes is a challenge.  Second Sense is helping individuals update their computer skills at our Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016 overviews.  These classes are especially relevant for those individuals who are working or on a vocational track.  And, our Saturday date makes it possible for people who are working to attend!

Windows 10 Overview

Saturday, July 8, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm

Class attendees will learn how to make the transition from older versions of Windows to the newest Windows 10 operating system to ensure their skills are suitable for today’s workplace. The course covers:

·       navigating with the new File Explorer,

·       checking notifications in the Action Center and

·       working with apps.

Microsoft Office 2016 Overview

Saturday, July 8, 1:00 to 3:00 pm

Students build on their knowledge to effectively operate Microsoft Office 2016.  The focus is on Word and Excel, the essential programs for the office environment.  The course covers:

·        navigating the Back Stage view,

·        navigating the Ribbon,

·        opening, closing and saving files and

·        moving through worksheets and workbooks.

These courses are best suited for those with previous computer skills and who are comfortable with their adaptive technology.  No referral is needed. Our courses are free of charge.

To register for one or both of these classes, please contact David Flament or call 312-236-8569.

Kathy Austin, CVA

Community Engagement Specialist

Second Sense

65 E. Wacker Place, Ste. 1010

Chicago, IL 60601

312-236-8569

www.second-sense.org <http://www.second-sense.org/>

kathy.austin at second-sense.org <mailto:kathy.austin at second-sense.org>

**6 This week on Eyes On Success

1726 Research in Low-Vision Technology (Jun. 21, 2017)

Advances in computer technologies have opened up opportunities for assisting the visually impaired in new and innovative ways. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Shiri Azenkot, Assistant Professor at the Jacobs Technion-Cornell Institute at Cornell Tech, about some of her current projects and research in accessibility and human computer interactions.

The audio and show notes for this episode can be found at:

www.EyesOnSuccess.net <http://www.eyesonsuccess.net/>

You can also subscribe to the podcast in iTunes or by searching for Eyes On success using any podcatching program or app.

Be sure to share this with your friends and encourage them to sign up for weekly announcements of future episodes of Eyes On success by sending an e-mail message to:

EyesOnSuccess+Subscribe at GoogleGroups.com <mailto:EyesOnSuccess+Subscribe at GoogleGroups.com>

If you would like to post your own thoughts about topics discussed on the show and connect with other listeners, join the Eyes On Success discussion forum by sending an e-mail to:

EOS_Discuss+Subscribe at GoogleGroups.com <mailto:EOS_Discuss+Subscribe at GoogleGroups.com>

**7 From Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Are you ready to learn something new this summer? You’re in luck!

Announcing: Internet Essentials Online Course

Surfing the web with a visual impairment can be a challenge unless you know the ropes. Our new course Internet Essentials is there to help. Filled with tips and tools, this course will teach you how to use the internet on either your computer or smart phone more effectively.

ALL NEW: iFocus Mac: Instructional Videos on Using the Vision Accessibility Features on Your Mac

We’ve expanded our popular series of instructional videos to cover basics vision accessibility features on your Mac. In this series your learn the basics of:

*          <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=16457095&msgid=818986&act=3JPY&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2FPlayVideo.asp%3Fvid%3D112> Navigating the desktop

*          <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=16457095&msgid=818986&act=3JPY&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2FPlayVideo.asp%3Fvid%3D113> Accessing the Menu Bar

*          <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=16457095&msgid=818986&act=3JPY&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2FPlayVideo.asp%3Fvid%3D117> Accessing the Menu Extras

*          <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=16457095&msgid=818986&act=3JPY&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2FPlayVideo.asp%3Fvid%3D114> Navigating the Dock

*          <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=16457095&msgid=818986&act=3JPY&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2FPlayVideo.asp%3Fvid%3D115> Exploring the Finder Window

*          <http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=16457095&msgid=818986&act=3JPY&c=225701&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fhadley.edu%2FPlayVideo.asp%3Fvid%3D116> Managing Finder Files and Folders

Seminars at Hadley

While our webinar team has taken a short break in hosting live events, we are busy planning terrific sessions for the future.

Coming Soon: An Explore the Universe with NASA and Hadley series of webinars you won’t want to miss featuring NASA experts. Stay tuned for more details!

**8 Shared by David Andrews via NFBNet

My name is Nazanin Heydarian and I am a blind doctoral candidate conducting my dissertation research, studying the experiences of blind and visually impaired adults interacting with their healthcare providers. I am interested in hearing about your experiences with healthcare providers such as doctors, nurses, therapists, and others. You are invited to share your experiences by participating in my research study.

The study had been approved by the University of Texas El Paso Institutional Review Board, and involves a 30-45 minute conversation with a research assistant where they will ask you a couple of questions and schedule you for a focus group interview. The focus group interview is expected to last about 1-and-a-half to 2 hours. If you choose to participate, you will be entered into a raffle to win a $100 Amazon gift card. If you are interested in participating in this study or if you have any questions, please contact me via phone at (915) 747-8659 or via email at utep.psyc.hcd at gmail.com <mailto:utep.psyc.hcd at gmail.com>  .

**9 From NAMA

Speaker Paul Ryan Highlights NAMA's Fly-In Issues in Today's Tax Reform Speech

Speaker Paul Ryan, during today's first major speech on tax reform, highlighted two issues that Fly-In attendees will focus on with Congressional leaders: elimination of the death tax and lowering the corporate tax rate.

Click Here for the Full Text of Speaker Ryan's Tax Reform Speech

https://www.speaker.gov/press-release/full-text-speaker-ryans-first-major-speech-tax-reform

In support of NAMA's position to eliminate the death tax, Ryan stated:

"[W]e will eliminate harmful, burdensome taxes including the death tax..."

When it came to lowering the corporate tax rate, Ryan was straightforward and blunt - "[R]eal tax reform means slashing our corporate tax rate as low as possible."

He further explained: "To put this into a global perspective, overseas-which where I come from - means Lake Superior-companies in Canada pay just 15 percent. Heck, the average tax rate on businesses in the industrialized world is 22.5 percent. Yet our corporations pay 35 percent and our successful small businesses pay 44.6 percent. How can we compete like that? We can't."

To communicate this even more effectively to Congressional leaders, NAMA needs your involvement.  The industry's participation in the Fly-In is a must - particularly with Speaker Ryan discussing our issues today!

If you have not registered to attend the DC Fly-In, do so today. We have a real chance to make a difference. Register at www.namaflyin.org <http://www.namaflyin.org> .

Help us reach our goal of 300 registered attendees for the Fly-In - we're almost there!  Update: our new stretch goal is 350 participants - with your support, we can do it!

Join us to help make the industry's voice 350-strong! Register Today!

**10 From Vending Market Watch

Micro Markets and Vending Machines Are Apples And Oranges

BY EMILY REFERMAT ON MAY 25, 2017

I'm hearing it throughout the county: micro markets are here to stay. The concept has excited consumers who were bored or even resistant to purchasing refreshment from vending machines. Micro markets grew profits for operators at locations and offered a chance to create a cafe-style break room feel that appealed to the Millennials. However, the success of micro markets has forced a number of operators to face the truth that the segment differs greatly from vending. Embracing micro markets has meant throwing out many vending perceptions the industry has developed over the decades.

Product placement

When those first innovators placed micro markets, some used the same planogram as their vending machine. There are pictures floating around of these micro markets laid out with chips in the top, candy in the middle and gum and mint on the bottom. It was not surprising, because this was the arrangement that worked so well in vending, for years. However, it is time to unlearn the placing and merchandising strategies culled from vending locations. Micro markets need to mimic convenience stores with top sellers placed high and low, leaving room for high margin or promotional products at eye level. More of a focus on grouping items together is imperative, not just spreading the colored packages around to draw the eye. Thought needs to go into day-part or the product category, such as healthy, so consumers know where to look for it. Not to mention the new impulse buy area right by the kiosk that was unheard of in a vending machine.

Managing small SKU counts

All this room for more products is directly the opposite of vending machines with a set number of spirals and many of them dedicated to the routinely top sellers. Successful vending management often meant maintaining smaller SKU numbers that maximized rebates and promotions while still offering enough new items to keep vending machines interesting. Smaller SKUs are not realistic in micro markets. Operators must now consider the need for variety consumers are looking for – the very thing that draws them to the micro market versus the vending machines. They want the different choices in flavor, size, texture, type, etc. It's all about giving them options, which means forgetting everything you knew about eliminating SKUs and instead challenging your logistics and SKUs management skills.

In vending fresh food was known as the loss leader. It was one of the SKUs routinely eliminated. But fresh is what sells in micro markets. Our latest survey of operators shows that more than 25 percent of micro markets sales are from fresh food. Its what consumers want in refreshment options. It follows the healthy, more natural trends in food as well as provides more of that overall cafe feeling.

There are plenty more things to learn and unlearn, and many we are just starting to scratch the surface of, such as giving the consumer the ability to pay with one account at the micro market, vending machine and other retail establishments on site. As we continue to explore the differences of the micro market, we can further use them to drive a better user experience and increase revenue.

**11 From Vending Times

Vending And Blind Trade Oppose Rest Area Commercialization Of Interstate Highways  by Emily Jed Emily at vendingtimes.net <mailto:Emily at vendingtimes.net>

Issue Date: Vol. 57, No. 7, July 2017, Posted On: 6/20/2017

ALEXANDRIA, VA -- A coalition led by the National Federation of the Blind, National Automatic Merchandising Association, restaurants, fuel retailers, city governments and trucking firms urged key lawmakers to oppose the commercialization of interstate rest areas as Congress considers new infrastructure legislation.

The coalition's argument against the proposal to allow the sale of food, fuel and other commercial services at interstate rest areas is that it would drain local businesses of customers, communities of jobs and city governments of tax revenue by putting established businesses in direct competition with state governments. At the same time, it would give states an unfair competitive advantage by granting them direct access to highway motorists.

The coalition also argued that up-ending the long-established policy prohibiting commercial rest areas threatens the livelihood of the nation's blind merchants, who service many of the vending machines at rest areas, and would hinder the Department of Transportation's goal of expanding commercial truck parking capacity nationwide.

Under the Randolph-Sheppard Act, a federal law that supports entrepreneurial opportunities for blind people, blind vendors are given priority in bidding to manage vending locations at rest areas along federal interstates.

Congress privatized highway services in 1960, when it prohibited states from offering commercial services at rest areas along the Interstate Highway System so that private-sector entities would grow and provide services to the traveling public, National Association of Truck Stop Owners president and chief executive Lisa Mullings pointed out.

"If the government gets in the business of selling food and fuel or other commercial services, local communities will suffer as tax revenues shift to the state; hardworking business owners will lose their customer base; blind entrepreneurs will be out of work and truck drivers will have a harder time finding a safe place to rest," Mullings said. "Commercializing Interstate rest areas would create far more problems than it will solve."

In many rural communities located near interstates, gas stations, restaurants, convenience stores, truck stops and hotels are among the largest local taxpayers, contributing more than $22.5 billion to state and local coffers, Mullings estimated.

Commercialization of rest areas would also result in significant losses of sales for vending machines, which would be unable to compete with larger foodservices, the coalition contends. "There is already an unacceptably high unemployment rate of approximately 70% among blind Americans," said Mark Riccobono, president of the National Federation of the Blind. "Congress should not contribute to the problem by putting the blind entrepreneurs who service rest area vending machines out of work.

Lea Dias, president of the National Council of State Agencies for the Blind, added: "This economic disruption to small family businesses, including those owned by entrepreneurs who are blind, and to the communities that they live in, would likely shift economic activity from small businesses to large corporations. It would also shift tax revenue from cities and counties, without necessarily increasing net jobs, sales or taxes paid."

The coalition observed that Congress reaffirmed its commitment to helping "exit-based" businesses to support local communities as recently as 2012, when the Senate voted 86 to 12 to uphold the longstanding federal law prohibiting the sale of food, fuel and other convenience items from interstate rest areas.

**12 Shared by Vending Market Watch

CIA Staffers Fired For Vending Machine Theft JUN 22, 2017

Buzzfeed reports that several CIA contractors were fired for stealing $3,314.40 in snacks from vending machines. The thefts took place starting in the fall of 2012 and continued through March 2013, according to a declassified Office of Inspector General report from October 2013. The theft involved unplugging a cable connecting the machines to an electronic payment system called FreedomPay, and then using "unfunded FreedomPay cards" to buy the snacks at no cost.

Full story at: https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasonleopold/cia-vending-thefts?utm_term=.oxYN6OMn3#.haW1qaAKl

**13 Distributor News Shared by Vistar, Dan Brander

Mars / Wrigley is having some logistics issues with their Joliet facility. Because of this, they have cut several orders to Vistar. I have cut and pasted the letter from Mars below.

We are working extremely hard to get the Mars/Wrigley in for all of our customers. It is a top seller, but more importantly, there are end of Q2 rebates to be met. Please be patient and we believe we can get product delivered down the stretch as the month/quarter ends.

“Dear Valued Customer,

As you are aware we have recently introduced our new warehouse in Joliet Illinois to our logistics network. As we’ve communicated, this warehouse represents a key piece of our seasonal logistics strategy and in co-locating Mars and Wrigley products.

Unfortunately, we are not on track with our start up expectations and have recently encountered service issues as a result.  We understand the impacts this has had on your business and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. To ensure that we get back on track with our expectations we are taking the following actions:

We will be re-balancing sourcing in our network to reduce volume at our Joliet warehouse for the next few weeks.

Mobilized additional warehousing specialists from our existing network to aid in both resourcing and training.

As a next step, your account teams will work with you to identify immediate risks, actions and solutions. We feel that the current plan will provide to ability to get back on track with our expectations and we appreciate your continued collaboration as we work through this.”

Please call or email me with any questions.

Dan Brander

Vistar

Manufacturer Price Changes

Effective Date

Manufacturer

What is affected   (approximate increase %)

8/1/2017

Kelsen

6% increase on KRD819971 Royal Dnk Danish Butter Cookies

8/1/2017

Paramount Coffee

Decrease .13 cents a pound

8/1/2017

Starbucks

1.8% increase- markets attached

7/1/2017

Conagra

3.4% increase on Swiss Miss, 4% increase on snacks, 3.3-14% increase on HK Anderson  pretzels-markets attached

7/1/2017

Country Pure Foods

2.3% Decrease on CTF62000 Aspt OJ 44/4.23oz

7/31/2017

Don Miguel

5% increase on Holy Guacamole ALX66677 and ALX69911 reg and spicy snack packs-markets attached

7/1/2017

Grecian Delight

2.25% increase on MSD06062 Gyros Orig Sandwich

7/1/2017

Java Jacket

5% increase on #JAV01118

7/1/2017

Pierre

4.1-6.5% increase on select items-markets attached

7/1/2017

UBF Foods

10% increase on TJL04340- 10# Country Crock Margarine

6/1/2017

General Mills

3-6% increase on selected salty snacks- markets attached

6/1/2017

Georgia Pacific

1-4% increase

6/1/2017

Christie Cookie

Decrease .41% on item XTC00250, HG Welcome Bar

6/1/2017

GLK Foods

1%  average increase on selected Oh Snap Pickles- markets attached

6/1/2017

International Paper

6% increase on select paper items-markets attached

6/1/2017

Life in Green

3% increase on select items

6/1/2017

Raybern

3% increase- markets attached

6/1/2017

 Utz

9% increase on Zapps and Dirty Chips 60/1.5oz items

**14 Broker News from Saverino & Associates, Mark Saverino

Chattanooga Moon Pies $2.00 Off Invoice for the 3rd Quarter

54001 Double Decker Chocolate MoonPie

54002 Double Decker Vanilla MoonPie

54003 Double Decker Banana MoonPie

54008 Double Decker Salted Caramel MoonPie

66008 MoonPie Bites $9.60 Off Invoice

FORTO COFFEE 2X ENERGY SHOTS PROMOTION

FOR DELIVERIES IN JULY 2017

TO QUALIFY FOR THE JULY OFF INVOICE PROMOTION, MUST PURCHASE A MINIMUM OF TWO

MASTER CASES. A MASTER CASE CONTAINS SIX TRAYS OF SIX BOTTLES. THERE IS NO OFF

INVOICE AMOUNT FOR AN ORDER FOR LESS THAN TWO MASTER CASES.

467 Sweetened Black Espresso

487 Vanilla

489 Mocha

Mocha and Vanilla are made with Organic Milk.

Shelf Life is 12 Months

Each case contains six trays.

Each tray contains six bottles.

Each bottle is two fluid ounces.

POPZ - MOVIE BUTTER MICROWAVE POPCORN

70009 Popz Movie Butter Microwave Popcorn

BUY 10 CASES GET ONE CASE FREE

Vitner’s 1.5oz Chips Q3 2017 $1.08 Off Invoice Promotion

402475 Plain Chips 36/1.5oz

402476 Sweet & Tangy BBQ Chips 36/1.5oz

402477 Chicago Smokehouse Rib Ridgetts 36/1.5oz

402478 Jalapeno 36/1.5oz

402479 Sweet Southern Heat BBQ 36/1.5oz

402480 Sizzlin’ Hot Potato Chips 36/1.5oz

402481 Buffalo Wing & Blue Cheese 36/1.5oz

**15 Broker News Burdette Beckman, Ray Salvador

General Mills Chex Mix Bugle Buy 5 Get 5. Buy 5 Cases of any combination of the Jalapeno Chex Mix or Hot Buffalo Bugle and get 5 cases Free.

***Only 1 order per location can be placed with a maximum of 5 cases free. Order must be placed through Ray @ rsalvador at bbiteam.com <mailto:rsalvador at bbiteam.com>  or 708-655-4166

282787 Jalapeño Cheddar Chex Mix 60/1.75 oz.

496351 Hot Buffalo Bugles 36/1.5 oz.

**16 From RSA Management Group

Ferrero is offering a buy 1 get 1 free deal through July 24, 2017.  Free goods will be paid in the form of a rebate.

FERRERO - BUY 1 GET 1 FREE

Deal Date:  JUNE 26 – JULY 24, 2017

Rebates                  Products

$58.56 per case      2 oz. Black Forest Organic Gummy Bears 96 ct.

$58.56 per case     2 oz. Black Forest Organic Sourheads 96 ct.

It's the end of the quarter.  Don't forget to buy your 1 Frito NEWS item if you haven't already done so.  Also, this is the last week for June deals.

Have a great week!

RSA Management Purchase Power Deals

Earn Extra Rebates on the following:

NEW DEALS THIS WEEK

CORE WATER

Deal Date:   DELIVERY INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$1.50 per case  Core Hydration Water

JULIAN’S RECIPE

Deal Date:   DELIVERY INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

10% per case    Waffles and Waffle Snacks – ALL FLAVORS

STARKIST

Deal Date:   DELIVERY INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$3.00 per case  StarKist Tuna Kits

Deals ending in June

AQUAFINA – ORDERED THROUGH AUTHORIZED PBC ONLY

Deal Date:  THROUGH JUNE, 2017 –DELIVERED BY JULY 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.00 per case  20 oz. Aquafina Water

FRITO LAY – ITEMS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ALL MARKETS

Deal Date:  JUNE, 2017 – TAKE DELIVERY BY JULY 16, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.92 per case  LSS Kettle Chips 40% Less Fat Jalapeno Cheddar (NEWS ITEM)

$1.92 per case  LSS Kettle Chips – ALL FLAVORS

$5.00 per case  Nut Harvest Nuts – ALL FLAVORS

$3.20 per case  LSS Smartfood Popcorn 64 count – ALL FLAVORS

$1.60 per case LSS Smartfood Popcorn 32 count – ALL FLAVORS

$2.40 per case  Munchies PB Crackers (19960)

$2.40 per case  Munchies Toast PB Crackers (19959)

$1.92 per case  LSS Sunchips WG Rich Garden Salsa (44428)

$1.92 per case  LSS Cracker Jacks (45501)

$1.92 per case  2.1 oz Grandma’s Mini Vanilla Crème Cookies (45096)

GATORADE – ORDER THROUGH AUTHORIZED PBC ONLY

Deal Date:  THROUGH JUNE, 2017 –DELIVERED BY JULY 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.50 per case   20 oz. Gatorade and G2 – ALL FLAVORS

KLEMENTS

Deal Date:  THROUGH JUNE, 2017

Rebates             Products

$8.00 per case   Klements Original Snack Meat Sticks– ALL FLAVORS

OREO

Deal Date:   DELIVERY JUNE 30, 2017

Rebates             Products

$0.2 per unit      Oreo Chocolate Bar

PEPSI ORDERED THROUGH AUTHORIZED PBC ONLY

Deal Date:  THROUGH JUNE, 2017 –DELIVERED BY JULY 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$2.00 per case  Mountain Dew 16 oz. Spike Yellow and Pink Lemonade (INNOVATION ITEM)

$2.00 per case  Pepsi Fire

$2.00 per case  20oz Propel Watermelon

$1.00 per case  20 oz. Diet Mountain Dew and Dew Flavors

$2.00 per case  Kickstart – ALL FLAVORS

$2.00 per case  20 oz. Lipton LIT Tea– ALL FLAVORS

$2.00 per case  20 oz. Lipton Brisk Tea

$3.00 per case  1L and 700ML Sport Cap Lifewtr

$2.00 per case  12 oz. Izzi Fusions – ALL FLAVORS

STARBUCKS ORDERED THROUGH AUTHORIZED PBC ONLY

Deal Date:  THROUGH JUNE, 2017 –DELIVERED BY JULY 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$2.00 per case   11.7 oz. Starbucks Iced Coffee

$2.00 per case   6.5 oz. can Starbucks Double Shot Espresso

$2.00 per case   11 oz. can Starbucks Double Shot w/Protein – Caramel

$2.00 per case   11 oz. Glass Starbucks Cold Brew

Deals ending in July

V-8

Deal Date:  THROUGH JULY, 2017

Rebates             Products

$3.00 per case   11.5 oz V-8 Juice Cans

$3.75 per case   12 oz V-8 Juice Bottles

$3.75 per case   16 oz. V-8 Splash–Berry Blend, Fruit Medley, Lemonade Bottles

$3.00 per case   11.5 oz. V-8 Splash–Strawberry Kiwi Cans

$1.25 per case   12 oz. V-8 Energy Cans-ALL FLAVORS

CAMPBELL’S

Deal Date:  THROUGH JULY, 2017

Rebates             Products

$2.50 per case   15.5 oz. Bisque – Tomato & Sweet Basil and Broccoli Cheddar

$2.50 per case   15.5 oz. Soup – Baked Potato, Spicy Thai Chicken & Rice, Med. Vegetable

Deals ending in August

FERRERO

Deal Date:  JUNE 15 – AUGUST 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$11.88 per case Nutella and Go– All Products – (PLUS RSA EXCLUSIVE 10% REBATE)

Deals ending in September

PEPPERIDGE FARM

Deal Date:  THROUGH SEPTEMBER, 2017

Rebates                        Products

$2.00-$4.00 per case*          1.5 oz. Cheddar Goldfish

$3.00-$5.00 per case*          2.25 oz. Cheddar Goldfish

*Rebate amount based on total co-op monthly purchase volume.

Deals ending in December

TALKING RAIN - SPARKLING ICE  (RSA EXCLUSIVE)

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$0.22 per unit    8 oz. Sparkling ICE Water Cans 8 ct. – ALL FLAVORS

$0.145 per unit  17 oz. Sparkling ICE Water Bottles12 ct. – ALL FLAVORS

FERRERO (RSA EXCLUSIVE)

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

10% per case    Tic Tacs – All Products

10% per case    Ferrero Rocher– All Products

10% per case    Raffaello – All Products

10% per case    Nutella – All Products

10% per case    Nutella and Go– All Products

BISCOMERICA - SWEET SERENITY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES (RSA EXCLUSIVE)

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$0.04 per unit*   2 oz. Sweet Serenity Choco Chip Cookies 60 ct. (#59961)

$0.04 per unit*   3 oz. Sweet Serenity Choco Chip Cookies 48 ct. (#54809)

*Group must purchase 2000 cases per quarter; otherwise rebate will be $0.02 per unit.

HINT WATER

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.00 per case  Hint 100% Natural Goodness Water – ALL FLAVORS

KLEMENT’S MEAT SNACKS

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

10% per case    Klement’s Meat Snacks – All Products

NY DELI (RAYBERN’S)

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

14% per case    5.0-6.5 oz Heat n Serve Premium Wrapped Frozen Sandwiches – All Products

PLANTERS

Deal Date:   DELIVERY BY DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$2.88 per case  2 oz. Planters Peanuts

$1.44 per case  Planters Trail Mix Nut and Chocolate

POPZ CUP (FORMELY INTERNATIONAL CUP CO.)

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$3.29 per case  12 oz. Single Poly Vending Paper Hot Cup – 1500 ct.

$3.20 per case  8.25 oz. Single Poly Vending Paper Hot Cup – 2000 ct.

$1.51 per case  12 oz. Black Lids for Vending Hot Cups – 1000 ct.

$1.17 per case  8.25 oz. Black Lids for Vending Hot Cups – 1000 ct.

$3.22 per case  16 oz. Single poly Manual Paper Hot Cups – 1000 ct.

$2.55 per case  12 oz. Single poly Manual Paper Hot Cups – 1000 ct.

$2.26 per case  10 oz. Single poly Manual Paper Hot Cups – 1000 ct.

$1.81 per case  Black Lids for all Manual Paper Hot Cups – 1000 ct.

TAYLOR CANDY (RSA EXCLUSIVE)

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

4% per case      Taylor Candy – All Products

SPLENDA

Deal Date:   THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$3.30 per case  Splenda 4/400 ct. Sweetener Packets

$3.00 per case  Splenda 2000 ct. Bulk and 12/50 ct. Sweetener Packets

$2.60 per case  Splenda 12/100 ct. Sweetener Packets

$1.25 per case  Splenda 500 ct. Bulk Sweetener Packets

WELCH’S

Deal Date:   DELIVERY BY DECEMBER 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$.01 per unit      Welch’s,  Gummi Factory, Sour Jacks, Sun-Maid, Fisher – ALL FLAVORS

VITNERS/SNACK KING (RSA EXCLUSIVE)

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER, 2017

Rebates             Products

$0.02 per unit     Vitners and Snack King Products– ALL FLAVORS

Indefinite End Date

ALMARK EGGS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

8% per case      Almark 2 pack Eggs – All Products

BEANITO’S

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$1.00 per case  Bean Chips and Puffs - ALL FLAVORS

BLISTEX

Deal Date:  INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$2.00 per case   Blistex Lip Balm – ALL VARIETIES

BOLTHOUSE FARMS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$2.20 per case  Bolthouse drinks - ALL FLAVORS

COLD STONE CREAMERY

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$1.50 per case  All Flavors of Milk Shakers

CUPCAKE DIPPERS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

12% per case    Cupcake Dippers - All Products

DAISY’S BAKERY, INC

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

8% per case      Individually Wrapped Muffin, Cake, Brownie, Pie, Cookie – ALL FLAVORS

DEEP RIVER SNACKS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$0.07 per unit     Kettle Chips – ALL FLAVORS

$0.07 per unit     Honcho Baked Crisps – ALL FLAVORS

FIJI WATER

Deal Date:  INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$1.50 per case   Fiji Water

FRUVE SMOOTHIES & TEAS

Deal Date:  INDEFINITIE

Rebates             Products

$3.60 per case  Fruve Smoothies and Kid’s Smoothies – ALL FLAVORS

$3.00 per case  Fruve Teas – ALL FLAVORS

HiBALL ENERGY AND ALTA PALLA

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$5.00 per case  HiBall Energy – 24 ct. case – ALL FLAVORS

$2.50 per case  Hi Ball Energy – 12 ct. case – ALL FLAVORS

$2.50 per case  Alta Palla – 24 ct. case – ALL FLAVORS

J&J FOODS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

5% per case       Kim & Scott’s IW Flavored Soft Pretzels and IW Pretzel Melts

5% per case       Mary B’s IW Biscuit Breakfast Melts

5% per case       Corazona’s HeartBar Oatmeal Squares

JJ’s PIES

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$1.80 per case   JJ’s Bakery Boxed Pies – ALL FLAVORS

J&J’s GOURMET PRETZELS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$1.20 per case  J&J’s Gourmet Pretzels – All Products

JIMMY BARS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

15% per case    Jimmy Bars - All Products

MY GOURMET TUNA KITS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$3.24 per case  My Gourmet Tuna Kits – All Products

NATHAN’S PRETZEL DOGS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

$2.50 per case  Nathan’s Pretzel Dogs – All Products

Thank you,

Kathy Ungaro

ICBV, Business Manager

(630)234-4444

Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors

53 W. Jackson Blvd. Suite 502

Chicago, IL 60604

This message (including attachments) is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without further distribution and reply to the sender that you have received the message in error.