[Iabs-talk] Excerpt from President Riccobono's Notebook

denise avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 02:07:48 UTC 2017

Hello all,

President Riccobono puts out a President's Notebook each week. I just want
to highlight one of them. While Illinois is not being called on to act, I
thought we should be aware of some serious issues facing blind venders.
Please see below.

****There is a National Federation of the Blind Fly-In in Washington, DC, on
May 23, organized by the National Association of Blind Merchants, a Division
of the NFB. The purpose is to target key congressional committee members. It
is not essential that every state is represented. The committee members we
are targeting are the states listed at the end of this article, so it is
most critical to have members from those states.

There are three issues we hope to address:

1.                The Department of Defense's effort to promulgate rules
that will effectively eliminate the Randolph-Sheppard priority for military
dining contracts.

2.                HR 1990 that would commercialize interstate rest areas
displacing almost four hundred blind entrepreneurs who now service vending
machines at the rest areas.

3.                The Veterans Administration's refusal to recognize the
Randolph-Sheppard priority at many VA facilities.

Please contact and coordinate with Nicky Gacos, who is our merchants
division president, if someone from your state wants to attend. He can be
reached at nickycolorado at netscape.net <mailto:nickycolorado at netscape.net>
or (908) 464-5359.

The states we are targeting are Rhode Island, Mississippi, Nebraska,
Arkansas, South Dakota, Iowa, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Michigan,
Washington, Minnesota, Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wisconsin, and West
Virginia.

Denise R. Avant, President

Live the life you want.

For more information about NFBI,