[Iabs-talk] chicago minutes draft 2.

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 8 00:57:25 UTC 2017

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER MINUTES

Meeting of August 12, 2017

President Steve Hastalis called to order the August 2017 meeting of the
National Federation of the Blind of Illinois Chicago Chapter at 1:16 P.M.
The meeting began with a recitation of the NFB Pledge. President Hastalis
then read the one minute message.

Program: President Hastalis introduced Martin Wilde who gave a presentation
on audio description. Mr. Wilde described how he found audio description. He
began this phase of his career by doing voiceover work. One of the things he
did was read for Cris Radio, where he found out about audio description.
His initial experiences with audio description happened much earlier, as he
used to describe baseball games to his father and grandmother, both of whom
were visually impaired. He defined audio description as a description of
pertinent information not covered in the standard narration of a
presentation/event. Events may include shows, movies, plays, ETC. He then
went on to show some examples of his own work, as well as audio description
he considered to be especially good. We also discussed why audio description
is not as popular as it might be, and suggested ways to publicize audio
described events. One thing we should keep in mind is when we wish to go to
plays, we should notify the theater approximately 3 weeks ahead of time so
that the theater can arrange for audio description.

There is at least one other source that provides audio described soundtracks
you can listen to from your computer. Www.blindmicemart.com has audio
described movies for free, so long as one subscribes to sendspace. Finally,
if you choose to go to a movie, audio description should be available. When
arranging for description, be sure to ask for the Audio Description headset.
It is not the same as an Assistive Listening headset.

What's Happening: There were 31 members present. Teresa Meyer is in
remission again. Don Gillmore is relatively comfortable, though he just came
home from a bout of pneumonia. Pam is asking everyone for prayers for both
her and Don. Eileen Truschke announced that Teri Regan suffered a stroke.
Paul Shepardson became a grandfather for the first time. Joan Porter is
still recovering from her leg injuries. Mary Grunwald is looking for prizes
for the upcoming convention.

October Fest: Patti Chang announced that the October fest will be at the
home of Patti and Francisco Chang, 6919 West Berwyn Avenue, Chicago on
September 9. You must make reservations by September 3 if you plan to
attend. Cost for the event is $25 which includes food and your first drink
of any kind. Beverages including bottled water will be $2 each following the
first drink. Ron Cooper will again dj and provide Karaoke music until
approximately 9:00. Several chapter members will bring instruments to the
event. If you plan to attend, you may pay at the door. If you cancel and
wish for a refund, you must do so before September 3, as food will be
purchased that day. People are welcome to bring food for the event.

National Presidential Release: Mark Riccobono, President, National
Federation of the Blind reported on the following items. President Riccobono
was especially heartened by the number of first time participants at the
National convention, (between 300 and 400.) Doctor Marc Maurer talked about
the tactile art kit which was presented by the American Action Fund for
Blind Children and Adults. Blind children have never received enough in the
way of tactile art. We are trying to figure out at this point what blind
children should experience in order to be well educated in this area. This
new art kit is meant for children ages 2-8. Those wishing to obtain one of
these kits must fill out an application on the American Action Fund website.
The Tenth anniversary Youth Slam has just concluded. One of the projects
undertaken by the students was to fly a drone. This activity was led by
Jordan Caster, a participant in the original Youth Slam. Other activities
which are underway and will be undertaken by NFB are Bell programs across
the country. a webmasters training session will occur later in the month.
there will be 38 conventions that will take place during the fall season.
The Dare to be Remarkable conference will take place at the Jernigan
Institute in November. Anyone wishing to know more about this conference can
go to www.nfb.org/dare-be-remarkable. October is Meat the Blind Month.
Chapters are being asked to show the film Do you Dream in Color. In other
Federation news, Joe Schadnagel passed away in June. True Elder, the third
child of Tim Elder was born on July 5. The Indianapolis Thunder beep
baseball team coached by Ron Brown of Indiana won the beep baseball world
series.

PAC Plan: President Hastalis described the Preauthorized Contribution (Pac)
Plan. Members can join for as little as $5 per month. Monthly contributions
can be taken from a checking account, savings account or credit card. He
invited all of us to take a form to either begin or increase a Pac plan.

Meet the Blind Month activity: We will be showing the film Do you Dream in
Color in conjunction with an organization called Real abilities. The date
will be October 6, the place is the Chicago Cultural Center and the time is
6:30 P.M.

Upcoming meetings: The next meeting will take place on September 9, where we
hope to have a presentation on identity theft. The October meeting will
feature a presentation of Ira by Patti Chang. November will be our annual
Read-a-thon with the Christmas auction taking place in December.

Secretary's Report: It was moved and seconded to accept the minutes of the
June 2017 meeting as presented. The motion carried unanimously.

Treasurers Report: Marco Gionnatti gave the treasurers report for the second
quarter of 2017. Beginning balance, April 1, $5,640. Income for the quarter
was $1,115.54. Expenses for the period were $178.55. Ending balance as of
June 30, $6,576.99.

The report was approved as given.

State Presidential Report: First Vice-President Debbie Stein gave the
Presidential report. The state convention will take place at the Chicago
Naperville Marriott Hotel, October 27-29. The National representative for
this year's convention is Mark Riccobono, the NFB President. We will have a
packed agenda as usual. You can register online at the NFB of Illinois
website. Anyone wishing to apply for convention assistance should have their
Chappell-Dennis application into Denise by 12:00 Midnight on September 1.
Those wishing to make reservations with the hotel must do so by October 6.
We had two Braille Enrichment in Literacy and Learning (Bell) programs this
summer. One in Chicago and one in Springfield. Our lead Bell teacher, Amy
Lund was given the Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award at the
National convention. Our Freedom Link program received a Jacob Bolotin award
in the amount of $10,000. Illinois had two national scholarship winners.
They were Amari Brombat and Ayoub Zuricat. Finally, the State board meeting
will take place on August 26 at the Chicago Naperville Marriott Hotel. Those
unable to attend the board meeting may call in at 641-715-3273 and use the
pass code NFBI, (6324.)

Legislation Appointments: The following individuals will go to congressional
appointments. David Meyer Melissa Fuller and Mary Grunwald will visit Danny
Davis, Debbie Stein Patti Chang and Marco Giannotti will see Mike Quigley,
Jemal Powell will see Robin Kelly, Gary Jones will see Bill Foster, and
Denise Avant will see Senators Durbin and Duckworth. Patti can arrange to
send fact sheets on all of our legislation. In other business, Melissa
Fuller mentioned that there will be another tour of Union Station conducted
by CTA in August or September. The next CTA ADA Advisory Committee meeting
will take place on October 10 at CTA headquarters beginning at 1:00 P.M.
Melissa Fuller's new cell phone number is 312-848-8937. Jemal Powell invited
all of us to contact him with ideas for future programs to be held at
chapter meetings. You may call Jemal at 708-557-7979 or you may email him at
derek2872 at yahoo.com.

David Meyer asked that we discuss when we plan to have a blood drive at the
next meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 3:35 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine