[Iabs-talk] FW: News + Volunteers Wanted for the Stigma Reduction / Disability in Hollywood Committee

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Thu May 24 18:30:03 UTC 2018

From: Jennifer Laszlo Mizrahi [mailto:Jennifer at respectabilityusa.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 12:02 PM
To: dkent5817 at att.net
Subject: News + Volunteers Wanted for the Stigma Reduction / Disability in Hollywood Committee

RespectAbility: The entertainment industry's partner on the inclusion of people with disabilities

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D20:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

About RespectAbility <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D21:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>     |    Volunteer Sign Up <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D16:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>     |
The Hollywood Disability Inclusion Toolkit <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D22:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

Volunteers Wanted for the Stigma Reduction / Disability in Hollywood Committee

RespectAbility is working on changing the narrative in Hollywood to ensure accurate and positive cultural media portrayals of people with disabilities. We partner with leaders in the entertainment industry on the full inclusion of people with disabilities, both in front of and behind the camera, and we are looking for more partners to help move the needle on two core issues: inclusion and diversity in Hollywood and the employment of people with disabilities.

The Stigma Reduction / Disability in Hollywood Committee includes entertainment professionals who wish to ensure they and their colleagues are as inclusive of people with disabilities as possible while promoting positive, accurate, diverse and inclusive media portrayals in film, TV and theater.

We invite you to join this or another volunteer committee! Please contact Lauren Appelbaum at LaurenA at RespectAbility.org <mailto:LaurenA at RespectAbility.org?subject=I%20want%20to%20volunteer!>  with any questions.

          Learn More <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D16:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

CREATING OPPORTUNITIES: AUTHENTIC REPRESENTATION

      United Shades of America: Spotlight on People with Disabilities
- CNN

On the new season of United Shades of America, W. Kamau Bell is giving a voice to the people not always heard. The most recent episode, which will re-air again on June 3, shines the spotlight on people with disabilities.

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D17:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> Read More

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D17:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D18:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

Have a disability and are creative? Check out this Fellowship opportunity!
- The Disabled List

WITH is a program that will place New York City’s creative talent with disabilities into the city’s top design studios for a three-month Fellowship. The goal is to create new pathways into design for people with disabilities.

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D18:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> Read More

'(Dis)Ability' anthology, compiled and edited by Hopkins senior, explores stories by and about people with disabilities
- John Hopkins University

Emily Dorffer, a Writing Seminars and English double major who has cerebral palsy, created the project to encourage better, more accurate portrayals of people with disabilities in literature. The result is a collection of stories, compiled and edited by Dorffer, by and about people with disabilities. Published in March, (Dis)Ability: A Short Story Anthology is available for free download.

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D19:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> Read More

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D19:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

INCREASING DISABILITY INCLUSION ON AND OFF SCREEN

Personal Lessons Learned from The Good Doctor
- Ryan Knight, RespectAbility Fellow

"I have spastic cerebral palsy and watching The Good Doctor helped me learn about other disabilities. I thought that because I have a disability and had family members who have disabilities, that I understood all disabilities. That is not true. I never realized how much I did not know about my own community until I got more into it."

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1A:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> Read More

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1A:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1B:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

Gregg Mozgala Is the Hardest-Working Actor in New York
- Zachary Stewart, Off Broadway

Mozgala, who has cerebral palsy, played John, a Princeton PhD candidate with CP who uses a wheelchair in Cost of Living, which earned him several award nominations. He was able to bring a level of authenticity and physical commitment to the role that an actor without a disability never could. He's currently starring in Light Shining in Buckinghamshire, and just went into rehearsals for Teenage Dick.

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1B:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> Read More

This deaf actor is a legend in show business
- United Shades of America, CNN

 CJ Jones is a deaf actor who has become a legend in show business for his one-man standup comedy shows and movies.

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1C:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> Watch Video

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1C:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

DON'T MISS THESE UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES!

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1D:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

July 30, 2018: From Washington to Hollywood and Beyond

8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Washington, D.C.
Featuring:
– RespectAbility’s Excellence in Journalism Awards
– Fighting Implicit Bias Through TV and Film
– 4-Fold Improvement in New Jobs for People with Disabilities: What’s Driving It and How We Continue Improving
– How to Have an Impact in Washington
Registration required. Space is limited.

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1D:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>             Learn More

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1E:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

Volunteer Sign Up

Thank you for your interest in volunteering with RespectAbility. We have several volunteer areas of interest available:
– Education & Skills Building
– Jobs for People with Disabilities
– Stigma Reduction / Disability in Hollywood
– Intersection of Politics & Disability
– Inclusive Philanthropy
– National Leadership Program
– Spanish-Language Resources
– Jewish Inclusion

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1E:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>           Learn More

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1F:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

The National Leadership Program: Fall Applications Open

The National Leadership Program is ideal for people with and without disabilities who want to go into careers in public policy, advocacy, communications or nonprofit management while making a positive difference for people with disabilities. We have three cohorts of Fellows – fall, spring and summer. The application deadline for Fall 2018 is August 1, 2018. Join our team.

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D1F:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>           Learn More

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D23:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D24:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D25:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D26:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D21:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> About RespectAbility    |     <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D22:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> The Hollywood Disability Inclusion Toolkit

RespectAbility    |    11333 Woodglen Drive, #102    |    Rockville, MD 20852    |    202-517-6272

(C) 2018

 <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/u?id=60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094> UNSUBSCRIBE        LEARN MORE <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D27:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&>          <http://click.respectabilityusa.org/t?r=4670&c=6263&l=29&ctl=17D16:60B6FD1CA026F839B9D92321FEE369DB6C528C808C98E094&> VOLUNTEER WITH US

---