[Iabs-talk] FW: NSF-funded research study inquiry at NFB IL Convention

Patti S Chang pattischang at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 14:53:22 UTC 2018

Reposting without the headers. Please consider participating.

Study: Vibration patterns for displaying graphics on touchscreens (sponsored by National Science Foundation and Saint Louis University)

We are looking at innovative and intuitive ways that vibrations can be used to supplement information access on touchscreens. We are conducting research looking at the best ways to convey graphics (such as charts, graphs, and maps) on touchscreens using vibrations and sounds for blind and visually impaired individuals. In this study, we will investigate how individuals classify and differentiate different vibration patterns on touchscreens. This research will help improve education and independence of individuals with visual impairments by giving users of touchscreens more ways to access graphical materials.

Any individual with blindness or visual impairment at the NFB IL Chicago Convention may participate. However, individuals must have sensation in their fingers and mobility of their hand to be able to move across a touchscreen.

Each individual will be in the study for 1 hour. Each individual will complete the study in 2 parts. In part 1, individuals will categorize different vibration patterns. In part 2, individuals will be presented with multiple groups of 2 vibration patterns in which they will have to determine if the 2 patterns are the same or different.

Individuals will each be compensated for their time with a $25 American Express gift card.

If you have any questions regarding the study or would like to participate during the NFB IL Convention October 26-28th, please e-mail touchscreenstudies at gmail.com <mailto:touchscreenstudies at gmail.com>  with your preferred availability.

  _____