[Iabs-talk] Research study at convention

Patti Chang pattischang at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 12:46:25 UTC 2018

I have been asked to paste in the research study info so see below.

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for
informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no
involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our
research mission.

Study: Vibration patterns for displaying graphics on touchscreens (sponsored
by National Science Foundation and Saint Louis University)

We are looking at innovative and intuitive ways that vibrations can be used
to supplement information access on touchscreens. We are conducting research
looking at the best ways to convey graphics (such as charts, graphs, and
maps) on touchscreens using vibrations and sounds for blind and visually
impaired individuals. In this study, we will investigate how individuals
classify and differentiate different vibration patterns on touchscreens.
This research will help improve education and independence of individuals
with visual impairments by giving users of touchscreens more ways to access
graphical materials.

Any individual with blindness or visual impairment at the NFB IL Chicago
Convention may participate. However, individuals must have sensation in
their fingers and mobility of their hand to be able to move across a
touchscreen.

Each individual will be in the study for 1 hour. Each individual will
complete the study in 2 parts. In part 1, individuals will categorize
different vibration patterns. In part 2, individuals will be presented with
multiple groups of 2 vibration patterns in which they will have to determine
if the 2 patterns are the same or different.

Individuals will each be compensated for their time with a $25 American
Express gift card.

If you have any questions regarding the study or would like to participate
during the NFB IL Convention October 26-28th, please e-mail
<mailto:touchscreenstudies at gmail.com> touchscreenstudies at gmail.com with your
preferred availability.