[Iabs-talk] Urgent State Legislative Advocacy Needed On Pilot Merger of blindness and deaf services!

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 01:47:24 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

It is time for legislative action at the State level. Last week, I sent an
e-mail to our listserv explaining that the state is starting a pilot program
to merge the Bureau of Blind Services, and the Bureau of Services for the
Deaf and Hard of Hearing. Both the National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois and the Illinois Council of the Blind oppose the merger, and we
both agree that we need to contact our legislators in both state Houses. We
have set up, tomorrow, September 25, 2018 as the day for us to engage with
our legislators on this issue. Since I sent the e-mail, I have learned from
the state that it does not know what it expects the merger to demonstrate.
As your state President, I believe that the pilot program will only lead to
an attempt to permanently merge the two bureaus and even worse, BBS might be
merged with the Bureau of Field Services. One does not engage in such an
exercise without a purpose.

  Below this e-mail is a lengthy list of state House and Senate committees
that impact blindness services in our state. If you have a member of either
or both state Houses that serve on any of these committees, please call them
tomorrow, September 25, 2018 and tell them that the state has decided to
proceed with a pilot merger program to merge the Bureau of Blind Services,
(BBS), and the Bureau of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, (BSDHH),
and that the Bureau of Field Services is also involved in the pilot. Tell
them that in setting up this pilot project, the Bureau of Blind Services
failed to consult with the Blind Services Planning Council, which is a
violation of the Illinois Bureau of the Blind Act. Tell them that you are a
member of the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois, and that you
oppose any merger, because we the blind require a blindness   specific
agency, like the one we have now, with its own funding, and   with blindness
counselors to provide blindness specific services to the blind of this
state. You can if you wish give  a short sentence on what blindness specific
services you received, and how these services assist you in living a life of
independence. In fact, it will help your legislator to understand what a
merger could mean, because most of them do not know the blindness specific
rehabilitation services we need to live the lives we want. Just keep it
short.!

Even if your senator or representative does not serve on any of these
committees, please reach out to him/her anyway, and inform them of the
merger. Perhaps they will inform their colleagues who sit on these
committees that merging blind  and deaf services is a bad idea. Finally,
legislators are not in session now, and they don't have the same resources
as their federal counterparts. So, you will have to keep calling back until
you speak to someone to express your opposition.

Thanks for all you do.

APPROPRIATIONS HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE

Chairperson :

Gregory Harris

13th District

Assistant Majority Leader

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading
notranslate">Gregory Harris (D)

Springfield Office:

253-S Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-3835

(217) 557-6470 FAX

District Office:

1967 W. Montrose

Chicago, IL  60613

(773) 348-3434

(773) 348-3475 FAX

Vice-Chairperson :

Robyn Gabel

Representative Robyn Gabel (D)

18th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Robyn
Gabel (D)

Springfield Office:

248-W Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8052

District Office:

820 Davis Street

Suite 103

Evanston, IL  60201

(847) 424-9898

(847) 424-9828 FAX

Republican Spokesperson :

Tom Demmer

90th District

Deputy Republican Leader

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Tom
Demmer (R)

Springfield Office:

314 Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-0535

District Office:

1221 Currency Court

Suite B

Rochelle, IL  61068

(815) 561-3690

Member:

Sara Feigenholtz

12th District

Assistant Majority Leader

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Sara
Feigenholtz (D)

Springfield Office:

300 Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8062

District Office:

3223 N. Sheffield Ave.

Suite A

Chicago, IL  60657

(773) 296-4141

Member:

La Shawn K. Ford

8th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">La
Shawn K. Ford (D)

Springfield Office:

239-E Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-5962

(217) 557-4502 FAX

District Office:

5051 W Chicago Ave.

Chicago, IL  60651

(773) 378-5902

Member:

Randy E. Frese

94th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Randy
E. Frese (R)

Springfield Office:

225-N Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8096

(217) 782-1275 FAX

District Office:

3701 E. Lake Centre Dr.

Suite 3

Quincy , IL  62305

(217) 223-0833

(217) 223-1565 FAX

Member:

Elizabeth Hernandez

24th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading
notranslate">Elizabeth Hernandez (D)

Springfield Office:

229-E Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8173

District Office:

6117 West Cermak Road

Cicero, IL  60804

(708) 222-5240

(708) 222-5241 FAX

Member:

Sheri Jesiel

61st District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Sheri
Jesiel (R)

Springfield Office:

223-N Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8151

(217) 557-7207 FAX

District Office:

959 N. Main Street

Suite 1

Antioch, IL  60002

(847) 395-8000

(847) 395-8300 FAX

Member:

Camille Y. Lilly

Member:

Natalie A. Manley

Member:

Rita Mayfield

Member:

Charles Meier

Member:

Michelle Mussman

Member:

Dave Severin

Member:

Ryan Spain

Member:

David A. Welter

Member:

Kathleen Willis

77th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading
notranslate">Kathleen Willis (D)

Springfield Office:

264-S Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-3374

(217) 524-0448 FAX

District Office:

112 N. Wolf Rd.

Northlake, IL  60164

(708) 562-6970

(708) 562-6974 FAX

Human Services Committee

Role

Representative

Party

Chairperson :

Robyn Gabel

18th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Robyn
Gabel (D)

Springfield Office:

248-W Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8052

District Office:

820 Davis Street

Suite 103

Evanston, IL  60201

(847) 424-9898

(847) 424-9828 FAX

Vice-Chairperson :

Litesa E. Wallace

67th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading
notranslate">Litesa E. Wallace (D)

Springfield Office:

280-S Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-3167

District Office:

200 S. Wyman

Suite 304

Rockford, IL  61101

(815) 987-7433

(815) 987-7225 FAX

Republican Spokesperson :

Tom Demmer

90th District

Deputy Republican Leader

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Tom
Demmer (R)

Springfield Office:

314 Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-0535

District Office:

1221 Currency Court

Suite B

Rochelle, IL  61068

(815) 561-3690

Member:

Jaime M. Andrade, Jr.

40th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Jaime
M. Andrade, Jr. (D)

Springfield Office:

260-W Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8117

District Office:

3007 W. Irving Park Rd.

Suite A-Front

Chicago, IL  60616

(773) 267-2880

(773) 267-2840 FAX

Member:

Terri Bryant

115th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Terri
Bryant (R)

Springfield Office:

207-N Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-0387

(217) 782-1141 FAX

District Office:

2929 Broadway

Suite 3

Mt. Vernon, IL  62864

(618) 242-8115

(618) 242-8118 FAX

Member:

Kelly M. Cassidy

14th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Kelly
M. Cassidy (D)

Springfield Office:

271-S Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8088

(217) 782-6592 FAX

District Office:

5533 North Broadway

Chicago, IL  60640

(773) 784-2002

(773) 784-2060 FAX

Member:

Laura Fine

17th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Laura
Fine (D)

Springfield Office:

255-S Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-4194

District Office:

1812 Waukegan Road

Suite A

Glenview, IL  60025

(847) 998-1717

(847) 998-1707 FAX

Member:

Mary E. Flowers

31st District

Assistant Majority Leader

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Mary
E. Flowers (D)

Springfield Office:

251-E Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-4207

(217) 782-1130 FAX

District Office:

2525 W. 79th Street

Chicago, IL  60652

(773) 471-5200

(773) 471-1036 FAX

Member:

Norine K. Hammond

93rd District

Assistant Republican Leader

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading
notranslate">Norine K. Hammond (R)

Springfield Office:

203-N Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-0416

(217) 782-1141 FAX

District Office:

331 N. Lafayette Street

P.O. Box 170

Macomb, IL  61455

(309) 836-2707

(309) 836-2231 FAX

Member:

Sheri Jesiel

61st District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Sheri
Jesiel (R)

Springfield Office:

223-N Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8151

(217) 557-7207 FAX

District Office:

959 N. Main Street

Suite 1

Antioch, IL  60002

(847) 395-8000

(847) 395-8300 FAX

Member:

Cynthia Soto

4th District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading
notranslate">Cynthia Soto (D)

Springfield Office:

288-S Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-0150

(217) 557-7210 FAX

District Office:

1341 W. Grand Ave.

Chicago, IL  60642

(773) 252-0402

(312) 829-3707 FAX

Member:

Helene Miller Walsh

51st District

Photograph of Representative  </span><span class="heading
notranslate">Helene Miller Walsh (R)

Springfield Office:

242-W Stratton Office Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-3696

(217) 782-1275 FAX

District Office:

1585 N Milwaukee Ave.

Suite 7

Libertyville, IL  60048

(847) 984-2485

(847) 984-2580 FAX

SENATE HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE

Human Services - Members

100th General Assembly

----

Members

Notice of Hearing

Bills

table with 3 columns and 11 rows

Role

Senator

Party

Chairperson :

Julie A. Morrison

29th District

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Julie A.
Morrison (D)

Springfield Office:

Senator 29th District

M115 Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-3650

District Office:

700 Osterman Ave.

Deerfield, IL  60015

(847) 945-5200

(847) 945-5214 FAX

Vice-Chairperson :

Daniel Biss

Senator Daniel Biss (D)

9th District

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Daniel Biss
(D)

Springfield Office:

Senator 9th District

417B Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-2119

District Office:

3706 Dempster Street

Skokie, IL  60076

(847) 568-1250

(847) 568-1256 FAXMember:

Omar Aquino

2nd District

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Omar Aquino
(D)

Springfield Office:

Senator 2nd District

M120 Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-5652

District Office:

4353 W. Armitage Ave.

Chicago, IL  60639

(773) 292-0202

(773) 292-1903 FAX

Member:

Melinda Bush

31st District

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Melinda
Bush (D)

Springfield Office:

Senator 31st District

124 Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-7353

District Office:

10 North Lake Street

Suite 112

Grayslake, IL  60030

(847) 548-5631

Member:

Mattie Hunter

3rd District

Majority Caucus Chair

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Mattie
Hunter (D)

Springfield Office:

Senator 3rd District

619 Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-5966

District Office:

2929 S. Wabash Avenue

Suite 102

Chicago, IL  60616

(312) 949-1908

(312) 949-1958 FAX

Member:

Heather A. Steans

7th District

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Heather A.
Steans (D)

Springfield Office:

Senator 7th District

623 Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-8492

District Office:

5533 North Broadway

Chicago, IL  60640

(773) 769-1717

(773) 769-6901 FAX

Minority Spokesperson :

Dave Syverson

35th District

Deputy Republican Leader

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Dave
Syverson (R)

Springfield Office:

Senator 35th District

108A Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-5413

District Office:

State of Illinois Building

200 S. Wyman, Suite 302

Rockford, IL  61101

(815) 987-7555

(815) 987-7563 FAX

Member:

Tim Bivins

45th District

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Tim Bivins
(R)

Springfield Office:

Senator 45th District

103A Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-0180

District Office:

629 N. Galena Ave.

Dixon, IL  61021

(815) 284-0045

(815) 284-0207 FAX

Member:

Jim Oberweis

25th District

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Jim
Oberweis (R)

Springfield Office:

Senator 25th District

108D Capitol Building

Springfield, IL   62706

(217) 782-0471

District Office:

959 Oak Street

North Aurora, IL  60542

(630) 800-1992

Member:

Dale A. Righter

55th District

Photograph of  Senator  </span><span class="heading notranslate">Dale A.
Righter (R)

Springfield Office:

Senator 55th District

309M Capitol Building