[Iabs-talk] minutes for Chicago Chapter May meeting

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 1 15:15:38 UTC 2019

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER MEETING

MAY 11, 2019

At 1:00 P.M. President David Meyer called the meeting to order.

What's Happening: Teresa Meyer is continuing to respond well to
chemotherapy. Eileen Truschke was unable to make the meeting due to a severe
bedbug problem in her home. She has moved to a temporary location for the
time being. There were 18 members present.

Program: Jemal Powell introduced out program which was what one might expect
to find at an NFB National convention. Presenters were Debbie Stein, Mychal
Nowicki and Jemal Powell. Debbie mentioned that she attended her first
convention in 1989 in Chicago. Because of obligations at home, Debbie did
something that she would not recommend that anyone else do. She commuted to
and from the convention. She immersed herself in the next convention she
attended which was 1995. She has been to every convention since that time.
She characterizes the experience as one where we as blind people take the
opportunity to take charge of ourselves and our environment. Mychal Nowicki
presented the convention as a place to network with people. He was most
impressed by the number of blind people doing things independently in one
place. He looks forward to going this year. Like Mychal, Jemal was most
impressed, noticing the number of blind people getting around independently.
He also found the convention a good place to learn problem solving skills.
He spoke of the convention where his luggage was lost until the final day of
that convention.

Denise mentioned that we will have a get together at convention in her room
on the evening of July 7. Each participant will be asked to contribute $10
which will go toward snacks and adult beverages to be enjoyed. Time of the
event is 9:00-11:00 P.M.

Secretary's minutes: It was moved and seconded to approve the minutes for
the April meeting as presented. The motion carried.

Though there was not a formal treasurer's report, Steve Hastalis informed us
that we have a balance of $4,407.18. He went on to state that dues are $5
per year. Anyone wishing to pay dues should see Steve.

Presidential Reports:

State Presidential Report Denise Avant, state president began her report
with a membership recognition ceremony. She paid special recognition to
current members of the Chicago Chapter in the audience, each of whom
received a membership medallion courtesy of the National Federation of the
Blind. The following people were recognized. Pam Gillmore, Steve Hastalis,
Ken Borst, Glenn Moore, Alisa Gray, Mary Grunwald, Robert Hansen, Gary
Jones, David Meyer, Mychal Nowicki, Joan Porter, Jemal Powell, Nick
Robertson, Paul Shepardson, Marco Giannotti, Debbie Stein and Denise Avant.
We are looking for volunteers for our Bell programs in Springfield and
Chicago. Call Amy Lund if you are interested in Springfield and Chiquita
Vincent if you wish to volunteer in Chicago.

Legislation: In state matters, David Meyer mentioned that HB423 has passed
out of the Senate Education Committee on an 11-0 vote. It is scheduled for a
third reading on May 13 or 14. A vote will take place following the third
reading. In federal legislation Marilyn Green reported that it looks like
the "Gain" (greater independence through nonvisual access technology act.
She asked that we continue to communicate with our members, asking them to
cosponsor HR873-S260 the transformation to Competitive Employment Act and
HR2086-S815, the Access Technology Affordability Act.

National Presidential Release: Mark Riccobono, President, National
Federation of the Blind reported on the following items. The National
Convention will take place at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Los Vegas July 7-12.
Approximately 90% of the room block has been reserved already so if you wish
to get a room, please register as soon as possible. You can also save a
little money if you preregister. One may register online through May 31. We
are extending the period for applications to be taken for our Blindness
experience teaching internship. One may apply through May 31. Anyone with
questions about this program may contact Anil Lewis Extension 2374, or email
him at alewis at nfb.org. During the past two weeks, we have gained four
additional cosponsors for HR2086, the Access Technology Affordability Act.
Please continue to contact your congressmen and senators asking that they
cosponsor all of our pieces of legislation. We are currently investigating
accessibility of Internal Revenue Service forms and websites. Please contact
Valerie Yingling with any experience you might have had trying to get
accessible forms. You may reach her by phone at extension 2440 or you may
e-mail vyingling at nfb.org. We are looking to recruit new members. All
chapters are asked to share their successful techniques with other chapters
in the Federation. This can be done through the Presidents list or on
membership calls which will be taking place. We will also have focus groups
on this subject at the National convention. Several local chapters were
cited for their participation in the Preauthorized Contribution Program,
including several chapters in Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and South Carolina.
Ron and Jan Gardner have most recently become part of our Dream Makers
Circle. Several federationists have passed away including James Moynahan of
Missouri, Richard Grove of Maryland, Paul Dressel of Ohio, Mike Kelly of
California and Ventric Tilly of Alabama. Finally, a tornado hit Rustin
Louisiana. Nobody was hurt though several properties were damaged which
belonged to staff of the Louisiana Center for the Blind. Donations may be
made through the National Office or online on our donate page. Please
designate your donation to the Rustin Recovery Effort.

Committee Reports: In fundraising matters, David Meyer reported that we
still needed to sell 10 additional tickets in order to do a Sox fundraiser.
We are making approximately $6 per ticket and tickets are $30 each. The
original deadline is Sunday, May 12, however, that might be extended. You
may call Dave at 708-209-1767 or e-mail him at datemeyer at sbcglobal.net. Our
bowling fundraiser will occur on June 29 at the Fireside Lanes, 2646 West
Fullerton Avenue in Chicago. Admission for this event is $40 for bowlers and
$20 for non-bowlers. We will bowl three games. One will be a regulation
game, one is a game with partners, and one is a mystery game which promises
to be fun. Please turn in all reservations to Marilyn Green.

Membership: Robert Hansen encouraged all who are making fan-out calls
continue to do so. He also encouraged us to spread the word among other
places such as Second Sense and Blind Service Association. He said it is
always nice to see new faces.

There was no old business. In new business, we made a decision on where and
when to have the chapter picnic. It will take place on Saturday, July 27 at
St. Andrews Greek Orthodox Church, 5649 North Sheridan Road in Chicago. Cost
of the event is $10 per person with the time running from noon to
approximately 4:00 P.M. Jemal Powell announced that there will be a joint
meeting with the Pace Chicago and Suburban ADA Advisory Committees at Willis
Tower on May 15. The meeting will take place from 12:30 to 3:00 P.M>The
Illinois Association of Blind Vendors will send several representatives to
Washington DC on May 19. They will be talking to congressional officials
about legislative initiatives that are crucial for vendors.

The Meeting adjourned at 3:12 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer,

Acting secretary

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine

Chicago Chapter President