[Iabs-talk] FW: Article from Braille Monitor Articles Section 2019 03 01

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 12:19:54 UTC 2019

Denise R. Avant, Esq.

President,

773-991-8050

Live the life you want.

For more information about NFBI,

Go to www.nfbofillinois.org

From: NFB-NEWSLINE Online <publications at nfbnewsline.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 2, 2019 6:14 AM
To: Denise Avant <davant1958 at gmail.com>
Subject: Article from Braille Monitor Articles Section 2019 03 01

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund by Allen Harris From the
Editor: Allen Harris is the chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan Fund Committee
and was one of the people who came up with the idea of honoring our former
president and longtime leader by establishing a program to promote
attendance at the national convention, where so much inspiration and
learning occur. Here is Allen's announcement about the 2019 Kenneth Jernigan
Convention Scholarship Fund Program: Have you always wanted to attend an NFB
annual convention but have not done so because of the lack of funds? The
Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund invites you to make an
application for a scholarship grant. Perhaps this July you too can be in the
Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, enjoying the many pleasures and
learning opportunities at the largest and most important yearly convention
of blind people in the world. The three biggest ticket items you need to
cover when attending an NFB national convention are the roundtrip
transportation, the hotel room for a week, and the food (which tends to be
higher priced than at home). We attempt to award additional funds to
families, but, whether a family or an individual is granted a scholarship,
this fund can only help; it won't pay all the costs. Last year most of the
sixty grants were in the range of $400 to $500 per individual. We recommend
that you find an NFB member as your personal convention mentor, someone who
has been to many national conventions and is able to share money-saving tips
with you and tips on navigating the extensive agenda in the big hotel. Your
mentor will help you get the most out of the amazing experience that is
convention week. Who is eligible? Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who
have not yet attended an NFB national convention because of lack of funding
are eligible to apply. How do I apply for funding assistance? You write a
letter giving your contact information and your local NFB information, the
specific amount you are requesting, and then explain why this is a good
investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed below. You contact
your state president in person or by phone to request his or her help in
obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the president when to expect your request
letter by email, and mention the deadline. You (or a friend) send your
letter by email to your state president. He or she must add a president's
recommendation and then email both letters directly to the Kenneth Jernigan
Convention Scholarship Fund Committee. Your president must forward the two
letters no later than April 15, 2019. Your letter to Chairperson Allen
Harris must cover these points: Your full name and all your telephone
numbers-label them-cell phone, home, office, other person (if any); Your
mailing address and, if you have one, your email address; Your state
affiliate and state president; your chapter and chapter president, if you
attend a chapter; Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person's
phone numbers; Your specific request, and explain how much money you need
from this fund to make this trip possible for you. We suggest you consult
with other members to make a rough budget for yourself. The body of your
letter should answer these questions: How do you currently participate in
the Federation? Why do you want to attend a national convention? What would
you receive; what can you share or give? You can include in your letter to
the committee any special circumstances you hope they will take into
consideration. When will I be notified that I am a winner? If you are chosen
to receive this scholarship, you will receive a letter with convention
details that should answer most of your questions. The committee makes every
effort to notify scholarship winners by May 15, but you must do several
things before that to be prepared to attend if you are chosen: Make your own
hotel reservation. If something prevents you from attending, you can cancel
the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for roommates to reduce the cost.)
Register online for the entire convention, including the banquet, by May 31.
Find someone in your chapter or affiliate who has been to many conventions
and can answer your questions as a friend and advisor. If you do not hear
from the committee by May 15, then you did not win a grant this year. How
will I receive my convention scholarship? At convention you will be given a
debit card or credit card loaded with the amount of your award. The times
and locations to pick up your card will be listed in the letter we send you.
The committee is not able to provide funds before the convention, so work
with your chapter and state affiliate to assist you by obtaining an
agreement to advance funds if you win a scholarship and to pay your treasury
back after you receive your debit or credit card. What if I have more
questions? For additional information email the chairman, Allen Harris, at
kjscholarships at nfb.org <mailto:kjscholarships at nfb.org>  or call his
Baltimore, Maryland, office at 410-659-9314, extension 2415. Above all,
please use this opportunity to attend your first convention on the national
level and join several thousand active Federationists in the most important
meeting of the blind in the world. We hope to see you in Las Vegas.

This article is provided to you as a courtesy of NFB-NEWSLINE? Online for
your sole use. The content of this E-mail is protected under copyright law,
and is not to be distributed in any manner to others; infringement of our
non-dissemination agreement is strictly prohibited. Allowing someone to have
access to this material is in violation of the Terms of Use agreement that
you electronically signed when you signed up for NFB-NEWSLINE? Online.
Please do not forward this E-mail or its attachments to any other person or
disseminate it in any manner. Thank you. The NFB-NEWSLINE? Team.