[IABS-Talk] a priceless post

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 3 03:32:34 UTC 2020

I know that this post is off topic, but I think we could all appreciate a
creative paroty. Got it from Milton Ota who got it from Richard Wells. The
author is anonymous.

'twas the night before quarantine and all through the town, not a

restaurant was open, not a school-bus was found. hand sanitizers were

placed by all doorposts with care, in hopes that Corona would never

come there. the children were swinging from the crystal chandeliers,

and the stir-crazy babies were almost in tears. with everyone in health

masks and live updates on their screens, we hunkered down and waited

for COVID-19. for into our lives with a sneeze and a cough came a

global pandemic and a crash of the stocks. away to the grocery we all

flew like a flash, and bought all the toilet paper for our personal

stash. as the moon slowly rose on our fates and our fears, what to my

wandering mind should appear? in the absence of busyness a new life

taking form: in the stillness of solitude, in the silence of the storm.

in the magic of together and home-bound company, rediscovering

connection in our family. so with the pup in her kennel and the

children in their beds, new visions of adventures now danced in my

head! the checklists could wait and the bank accounts would be fine,

for we had been given the most sacred gift of time. so I gathered the

markers and crayons and paints, I collected the nerf guns and assembled

board games. with a wink and a smile I moved on to schoolwork: math

facts and science and vocabulary words. I laughed as I thought it, in

spite of myself, "what if quarantine can heal our emotional health?" if

the birds are still singing and if the flowers still bloom, surely the

sunshine can overcome our gloom. if we set aside fear and choose

kindness instead, maybe we'll all begin to realize we have nothing to

dread. I tucked back into bed and smiled up at the moon, for a peace

had replaced the impending doom. so take heart and take hope through

this curious plight, and "happy quarantine to all" until we're allowed

to reunite." -Author unknown

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine

Chicago Chapter President