[IABS-Talk] At Large chapter meeting minutes-January 2020

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 13:05:37 UTC 2020

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

AT LARGE CHAPTER

JANUARY 5, 2020

MEETING MINUTES

THINGS TO DO

1.    Hamrik:  Post the information about concerts on January 11, 2020 and
January 26, 2020 on Il-talk.
2.    .  Everyone:   Let Meyer know if you're interested in attending
Games night which is  scheduled for January 11 2020

PRESENT:  President Marilyn Green, Linda Hendle, Danny Mandrel, Dr. Parres
Wright, Bridget Burke, Yvonne Agyarko, State President Denise Avant, Leslie
Hamrik and Debbie Pittman.  The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m.

Absent:  Charlene Elder.

SECRETARIES MINUTES

Motion

Pittman moved to table the December 2019 minutes.  It was seconded by Hendle
and unanimously carried.

NFB PLEDGE

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the national

Federation of the Blind, to achieve equality, opportunity and

security for the blind, to support the policies and programs of

The federation and to abide by its constitution.

Program Item

Dr. Parres Wright teaches at the Chicago College of Optometry.  She
graduated in 2007  and did her residential training at Birmingham VA.  She
has done presentations at Blind Service Association about the importance of
getting eye exams even if you're blind.   There can be systemic damage even
if you've lost vision.  Even if you're blind you can end up with a "blind
painful eye".  Even if someone has prosthetic eyes, examinations are still
important.   Tumors are still possible .  There are a number of different
technological devices available for visually impaired.

Seeing A I: This is an app that Has a handwriting portion in it.  In
addition, you can take a picture of something and it will tell you
information about the picture such as how many people are in a room.  It
also reads color and money.  It is free.  According to Dr Wright, a
communication bill came out in either 2015 or 2016 that stressed that apps
be made accessible to visually impaired and seniors.  There are built in
magnifiers and voice over.

Iris Vision: This is a head worn device that is one of the least expensive
devices which costs around $2,500 which uses the smart phone to magnify on
the screen.  It uses the camera on the phone to magnify what is happening on
the screen.  It is made by an independent manufacture.  A lady at the BSA
seminar was able to read some of the things off the board which was about 20
ft. Away.

Orcam:  This is a pair of glasses that has a camera built into it.  Hand
signals can be used as well as voice commands.  It is similar to google
glasses. It will  give feedback on facial recognition and other information.
people do not need vision to use the Orcam.

Ruby: This is a hand held portable CC TV device which can be put in your
purse and it is a magnifier .  It is supposed to help people who are newly
visually impaired and that device will adjust with a person's vision loss.
Dr. Wright went on to say that blind people and those with low vision should
get eye exams once a year. According to Dr. Wright, Braille should be
learned when they're having problems with printed material, especially if
they're young.  According to her if the expectation of their vision is
deemed to get worse over time they should learn Braille.   Generally if
pressure is low you won't have change.  the question is if there is anything
else going on.

AIRA:  AIRA has a paid service as well as a free service.  It is free in
federal buildings and Walgreens.  Walgreens was one of the first places to
utilize adaptive technology.   AIRA can be used with their glasses or just
the service.  Hamrik uses AIRA.  Hamrik used AIRA to shop and examine
jewelery described by AIRA.  Hamrik's mom was impressed by her use of AIRA.
The first five minutes of AIRA calls are free.   Dr. Wright was referred to
NFB.ORG  and nfbofillinois.org  to get more information about our
organization.

Presidential release 490

Greetings, fellow Federationists. Today is Thursday, January 2, 2020 and
this is Presidential Release Number 490. Happy New Year to all of my
Federation family across the country. I hope everybody had a great,
successful, safe set of holidays and rang in the New Year with style. I know
I am ready for a fantastic year with all of the wonderful things ahead of us
and we brought in the New Year in really great style in December. We had a
number of great events here. I talked about some of those on the last
release. They were coming up at that time. We opened up our new space and we
had some holiday gatherings and some gatherings also with the family, so I'm
ready for a fantastic 2020 and it's coming up very fast.

We got World Braille Day coming up in just two days, but after that our
Washington Seminar will be here before we know it. This release is my last
opportunity to urge you to make your plans for the Washington Seminar.
Hopefully you already have by the time you listen to this release. We will
have our great gathering and kickoff at 5:00PM on Monday, February 10th. I
always look forward to that mid-year gathering of Federationists. It's
always one of the highest energy events we have in our organization and we
get a ton of work done at the Washington Seminar. This year will be no
exception.

I do want to encourage you to come to the Congressional Reception on Tuesday
evening of the Washington Seminar if you're there. And if you're coming to
the Washington Seminar and you have not toured our national office, by
somewhat long standing tradition we are again offering a bus that leaves
from the Capital Holiday Inn at 8:00 on Monday morning, February 10th, and
it will bring you to the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute
for a tour. It's a great year to come with our new space opening. I would
encourage you to come. It is first come, first serve. We have one bus, so if
you want to get on board I would suggest getting there early, but I'd love
for you to come visit our national office and check out some of the new
stuff, as well as some of the stuff that we have had in place for a while.

If you have questions about the Washington Seminar your affiliate needs a
little assistance in planning or would like to do a little additional, extra
preparation for tackling the seminar issues, I encourage you to call John
Pare. He can be reached at extension 2218. You'll know that our number is
(410) 659-9314, or you can send him an e-mail at JPare at NFB.org. If you need
some support in planning for the Washington Seminar, call John Para. He'll
help you out or connect you with another member of the team who can get you
what you need.

I should mention on this release that we do have the issues for our 2020
Washington Seminar where we will be bringing the 2020 view on blindness to
Congress. Our three issues this year will be, number one, the Access,
Technology, Affordability Act, which of course, you'll be familiar with.
Number two is our GAIN Act; that's Greater Access and Information through
Nonvisual Access Technology Act. That's our number two issue. And our number
three issue this year will be the Access to Instructional Materials in
Higher Education Act; AIM High we like to call it and as a matter of fact,
our AIM High legislation got a boost in December. We had a bill already in
the House of Representatives, but in the United States Senate Senator Warren
about the middle of the month introduced S3095, so we now have a Bill in
each of the branches there, so we have amongst those three issues five Bill
numbers to talk about and chase during the Washington Seminar. Our fact
sheets will be available the week of January 6th, so next week you can look
for those, get up on the issues, and even if you're not coming to the
Washington Seminar you can still help reinforce the messaging by calling
about our issues and urging your representatives and senators to support the
priorities of the organized blind movement. I look forward to being with
many of you at our Washington Seminar.

I look forward to being with more of you at our 2020 National Convention and
it's not too early to start planning. In fact, many people jumped on the
telephones yesterday and started making their room reservations for our
headquarters hotel. Now, we haven't been to Houston since 1971 and so I know
a number of people are looking forward to being in Houston for the
Convention. I'm certain that our President in Texas, Norma Crosby, is
looking forward to it. She assures me that this will be our biggest and best
National Convention and I believe Norma. I'm looking forward to it. You
should think about making your reservation soon for the Hilton America's
Houston Hotel, which is located at 1600 Lamar Street in Houston, Texas;
77010 is the zip code. You can make your room reservations now. They opened
up yesterday. The Hilton Americas is a great hotel. It's smack dab in the
middle of downtown Houston. It's across from the convention center. A lot of
people have asked whether we're using the convention center. We do not have
any meetings planned in the convention center. It will all be in the Hilton.
At least at the moment we don't. If we really get to be the biggest,
biggest, biggest convention ever we might have to think about it. The Hilton
Americas is across the street from a beautiful, 12-acre Discovery Green
Park, so some nice open spaces there and you will find a lot of interest in
downtown Houston and in many of the surrounding neighborhoods.

In contrast to our 2019 Convention, which was great, but was very, very,
very, very, very spread out, the 2020 Convention hotel has ballrooms,
breakout spaces, and sleeping rooms all stacked neatly on one city square
block, so you'll find it much more streamlined in terms of where you need to
go and in terms of navigation. So I think you're going to like us being in
this hotel. It's probably the most streamlined setup we've had maybe in a
decade, because even the Orlando hotels were very spread out compared to the
Hilton Americas. You're going to love it and in addition to the dining
available at the Hilton Americas there is a ton of awesome dining in Houston
right outside the doors and I guarantee you you will eat well in Houston.

The Hilton Americas' room rate includes in-room internet, which is
complimentary, as well as a fitness center and pool on the 23rd floor of the
hotel. There is many other amenities. You can read about the hotel and also
our overflow hotel, which is the Marriott, which if you prefer that it's
just three blocks away or across the park, or you can actually walk through
the convention center indoors, so you can check out the Marriott, but if you
want to be right in the center of the action, as close as possible, I
encourage you to be at the Hilton and you should make your room reservations
as soon as possible before rooms run out in the Hilton. The Convention room
rate for 2020 at the Hilton Americas is $105.00 per night for singles,
doubles, triples, and quads. In addition, the sales tax rate is 8.25
percent, and the hotel occupancy tax rate is 17 percent. You can book your
room at the Hilton by calling 1-800-236-2905; that number again,
1-800-236-2905. Again, you can find all of this information in the Braille
Monitor for December of last year. When you call to book your room the hotel
will take a deposit of the first night's room charge and taxes and will
require a credit card or a personal check, and you can consult the Braille
Monitor for the details on what happens if you have to somehow withdraw your
reservation and after which date the money is not refundable and all of
that, so consult the Monitor, but most importantly, come be with me in
Houston for our best Convention ever.

A final note to chapters: We do want door prizes for our Houston Convention.
The NFB of Texas would be pleased to receive them in advance if you want to
send them. I'm going to be interested to see maybe which chapter can send
the most interesting, innovative, coolest door prize to our 2020 Convention.
We are seeking door prizes for the general session, so please send them
along to our NFB of Texas affiliate or bring them to the Convention. Let's
have our best Convention yet.

As long as we're looking ahead at things happening in the Federation year, I
got to thinking, as I have now on many of these January releases about our
goals and priorities for this year and it will come as no surprise to you
that I felt like our goals and priorities are still very much in line with
our strategic plan, which we published in the Monitor at the beginning of
last year. You'll remember that those goals organized around some pillars,
principally membership, education, and employment, advocacy, and outreach.
I'm not going to go through all of the various things in our strategic plan
and all of those areas, and what we've achieved in the last year, and what
we still have yet to do, but I wanted to call your attention to at least two
important things that I think really speak to the work that happens at all
levels of our organization and why the dynamic organization we have and the
relationship between the levels is so important.

Threaded throughout each of those pillars and priorities is our work to
educate the public about blindness. It continues to be one of the most
important things that we do on a daily basis and we've made some great laws.
We've created some great regulations. We've helped to change technology, but
public education and creating awareness about the capacity of blind people,
sharing our 2020 view on blindness, is really the most important and
powerful thing that we do on a daily basis, helping people understand what
we do about the capacity of blind people.

Now, of course, that means we need to start by making sure that we really
believe, in our heads and our hearts the understanding about blindness
that's found in the Federation philosophy. So as we start 2020 I encourage
our chapters to redouble your efforts in talking about the philosophy of the
National Federation of the Blind, what it means, how we implement it, how we
continue to evolve it, and how we grow into it. As blind people I think it's
hard for us to explain in a real way to the general public the capacity of
blind people if we don't believe it for ourselves, if we haven't made the
effort to really explore it and make it actionable in our own lives.

It seems appropriate also to encourage our chapters to continue to find
innovative ways to engage the general public in having that understanding
about blindness and we need to find ways to share those innovative ideas
across chapters. So I would encourage each of our chapters to find something
you're doing and figure out a way to share it with other chapters across the
country, whether it's on the Chapter President's List Serve, or writing an
article for the Braille Monitor, or holding a conference call, or all of the
above, or something else. We need to continue to find ways to innovate and
share those innovations across chapters, across affiliates so that we can
all be better from the work that we do together. The second thing that comes
to mind, and it really also is embedded in each of these four pillar areas
is our effort to gather enough resources together to build our capacity and
a big part of that is raising money. We simply could not do the things that
we do and have the effectiveness that we have without raising dollars and it
starts with the dollars that we put in as individual members to support the
work of the organization. I've been mentioning on these Presidential
Releases our Dream Maker Circle, which is a future commitment to make a
contribution to the national organization upon your death and that can take
many forms, but then there's the current way to contribute, which is what we
call our Pre-Authorized Contribution Program, or the PAC Plan. That program
allows you to make a monthly contribution and I have heard from many people
over the past year, who have been contributing to the program since its very
beginning, and that means their $5.00, $10.00 a month or whatever it has
grown to be, their monthly contribution has added up over time to allow us
to have the flexibility with those dollars to be in all of the places we
need to for blind people. When your Chapter goes out and raises money for
the National Federation of the Blind, to support our mission, and makes
contributions to the state affiliate supporting the state-level organization
and the state-level organization takes some of those dollars and contributes
it to the national organization. Those dollars, when they reach the national
level, are much more effectively used to build the movement, because every
dollar that comes to our national organization impacts so many more people
than it does at the local level. So when you're thinking about what you're
going to do as a Chapter for fundraising this year I encourage you to
remember that those dollars, when they come to the national organization,
have a huge impact, probably bigger than, well, really any of us recognizes.
What are some of the things we do with those dollars at the national level?
I get that question a lot. It seems obvious to me, but maybe it's not
obvious to folks that aren't thinking about it every day like I do. Well,
the first is those dollars allow us to coordinate the work that we do across
the country, whether it's putting together the logistics for our Washington
Seminar, helping to plan meetings on the Hill, being on the Hill, not just
during Washington Seminar, but every other week of the year to make sure
that when blindness comes up the name National Federation of the Blind is in
front of the policy and decision makers, and our priorities and perspective
are at the table.

We put together a lot of resources for advocacy that are used in our
affiliates and we provide a lot of technical assistance. All of that takes
the resources of staff, documents that we put together, research, and the
dollars that get put into the national treasury help make that happen.

There's a lot of other information sharing that happens. Of course, our
website, which is increasingly more complex and dynamic. We're coming up to
having 80 years' worth of material on our website and keeping it fresh,
organizing it in a way that it can be found, integrating the latest web
tools, supporting that with our connections database, publishing the Braille
Monitor, our podcast, the tool kits that we put online and distribute in
hard copy, all of those things take dollars and the best dollars come from
the local level when you go out and raise them and acknowledge how important
it is that we're part of this movement together by making contributions
through the affiliate to the national organization.

At the national level we put together a lot of capacity building tools that
we scale across the organization, so we make available in print and Braille,
brochures that Chapters can get to use in public outreach efforts. We're
putting together a project this year to support every affiliate website to
make sure that the local presence is fresh, up-to-date, and on point with
our brand. Late last year we put some infrastructure together to allow every
affiliate that wants to stream its Convention to do so on a common platform.
The list goes on and on of things that we do. We support each of our
affiliates in the financial management of the affiliate, making sure that
the right state filings get made and that the financial records are in good
order so that when the Treasurer shows up to the state Convention to give a
report you can have the confidence that that report also reflects the
support of the national organization in terms of making sure that the
numbers are right and things are coded in a way that they can be accurately
reported. And there's dozens of other things that happen in the background.
Well, for that matter, the recording of this Release is made possible from
those dollars that have been sent here to this office. We have a lot of
expertise that we put together and so when you have a question about
blindness we have a way of answering it or at least getting you to the right
resource. That's made possible from the dollars that you help to send to our
national organization. And then just the broad resource network we have. You
all are doing great work to assist blind people at the local level, but you
come across things that you're not familiar with or you have questions about
and you can call upon our national office team and you also can take
advantage of, to help build connections locally, free programs we offer,
like the free White Cane Program, or the Slate and Stylus free Slate and
Stylus Program, putting real tools in the hands of blind people, they're
free to the blind people. We had to pay for them. We had to pay to ship
them, to package them, to do the work on the technology side for the
database. All of that take efforts and we make that happen through the
dollars that are contributed to our national organization.

So when we think about our goals for 2020 we need to remember that it's
these two underlying elements that help us get to those goals and achieve
those goals along with the individual effort that each and every one of you
makes at the local level, at the affiliate level, and at the national level
to fuel our organization. We are volunteer driven. The majority of our work
is done by volunteers. Our best work is done by volunteers, because even our
paid staff spend considerable time volunteering as members of our
organization.

The dollars that are contributed to the national level, especially by
members are critical as well for another reason. When we go out and we talk
to people who are not in the center of the organization, they're not
members, about supporting our work they look at two factors. One, how are
you spending your money, and we do spend our money and we write about it all
of the time. We save money where we can and our investments, like many
others last year, had a great year, so we do save money, but we also spend a
lot of money on programs and our financial reports, if you look at them, we
don't spend money on hiring high-paid fundraising groups to go out and raise
money for us. We spend our money on program to change the landscape in
America for blind people, to create opportunities.

The second thing that people look at is how many of your own members, your
own board members, your own staff are contributing to the organization, and
hands down, we have great news to report there all of the time, not just the
PAC Plan, but many other avenues we have for contributing to the
organization and that's why a lot of folks who are not close to our
organization love to give to us, because they recognize that our own members
feel so strongly about it and recognize that the work is so important that
they're contributing their dollars and many of you who are out there
listening to this, who are contributing, don't have a lot of dollars to give
and so we treat every dollar with respect and that our donors recognize that
those dollars come from members who have a real commitment encourages them
to make bigger contributions. All of that allows us to pursue our public
education efforts, not just talking to people, which we can do for free, but
the more dynamic things that allow us to expand our reach so that when you
come across somebody in the local community you're reinforcing a message
that we've delivered somewhere else.

That's what comes to mind for me when I think about our goals for 2020. I
hope that your Chapter is developing goals consistent with supporting our
national organization, supporting the work in our state affiliate. We're
successful because we align at all levels around our priorities and so I
would encourage you to consider what you're going to do in the Chapter this
year, how you're going to share some of your innovative ideas, and how we
together are going to achieve not just our legislative priorities, but also
our program and public education priorities.

Well, since I mentioned them earlier I should mention again our Dream Maker
Circle and welcome to our Dream Maker Circle Diane McGeorge of Colorado. We
just opened the Diane and Ray McGeorge Living Room here last month, so
thanks to Diane for continuing her commitment by being part of our Dream
Maker Circle. In the last month we also added John and Heather Fritz of
Wisconsin, and Susie Stansel from Kansas. Thank you for being the newest
members of our Dream Maker Circle. If you have questions about the Dream
Maker Circle, please reach out to Patti Chang here at the national office,
extension 2422.

Also, we, in June, finished up acknowledging all of the Chapters and
affiliates who were contributing to the PAC Plan, but we had some new ones
join, so I'm going to quickly acknowledge the Chapters and affiliates that
joined since the June release was made and thank you to each and every one
of you and your local Chapters that are contributing to the PAC Plan. Again,
it gives us those dollars. They're not tied to any particular restrictions,
allows us to do what we need to as an organization. Thank you to the
National Federation of the Blind of Arkansas At Large Chapter, the National
Federation of the Blind of California Central Valley Chapter, and the Inland
Empire Chapter, to the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut
Southwest Chapter, the National Federation of the Blind of Indiana
Indianapolis Chapter, the National Federation of the Blind of Kansas Johnson
County Chapter, the National Federation of the Blind of North Carolina
Coastal Carolina Chapter, the NFB of South Carolina to the Spartanburg
Chapter, the National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee Memphis Chapter,
the NFB of Texas Dallas Chapter, and finally, to the National Federation of
the Blind of Wisconsin. Thank you to each of you for joining up new on the
PAC Program since June of last year.

Finally, I do have a few Federation family notes to share with you here to
start off the year. We lost a number of Federationists during the month of
December that I would ask you keep in your thoughts and prayers as well as
their families. Ronza Offman from Maryland reports that Randy Green, a
member of the NFB of Maryland Sligo Creek and National Harbor Chapters,
passed away after a long illness. Donna Sexton of California passed away in
late December. Many of Donna's children continue to be active members of the
National Federation of the Blind. You may know Brooke, or B.J., or Amber, or
David and I urge you to keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Kyle Kiper
from Arkansas reports the passing of Joe Sexson, a law enforcement
professional and Emergency Medical Technician. Joe was somebody who
sacrificed through his work. He made the commitment to go to the salvage and
recovery efforts after the terrorist bombing on 9/11 at Ground Zero and it
was after that that he went blind and ended up with many of the health
conditions and now passing away that resulted from being exposed to being in
the Ground Zero environment. Joe was just one of many fallen heroes that
have had this experience, but he is a member of the Federation family and we
lost him last month, so encourage you to keep him and his family in your
thoughts and prayers. And while we're on the topic of those that served with
Joe at Ground Zero, I'm sure he would appreciate that as well. Finally,
close to the end of the year Harry Gaywith of Idaho passed away. Harry has a
long-time member of the Federation. He, for 40-some years, served as the
Treasurer of the Idaho affiliate. He believed in the capacity of blind
people and took on many tasks around the Federation. If you won a door prize
at the National Convention, Harry might have very well delivered it to you.
He was a door prize runner for many, many, many years as well, so please
keep Harry and all of these others in your thoughts and prayers as well as
others that I may not be aware of.

I'm looking forward to a great 2020 and while we're going to experience some
new things this year, get into some new adventures, be at a new convention
spot with a new convention hotel, some things stay the same and that's a
good thing. So in honor of staying the same and consistency, let me offer
you some of the customary endings to close the January 2020 Presidential
Release. Let's go build the National Federation of the Blind.

(End of article).

State Report

Braille Monitor:   Avant reported that the Braille Monitor is our flagship
publoication.  It chronicles experiences  of members across the country  and
gives information about scholarships etc.  The monitor has been around since
the 1950's.

Pack plan:  Avant encouraged those on the call to increase their PACK plan
contribution.  Illinois ranks 22nd behind New Joursey.  Some money is used
for litigation to join a family who's child was taken.

BRAL:  Contest from December 1 2019 to January 18 2020.  It's K through 12
and adults.   Reading logs are to be collected.    LIFE group members were
encouraged to submit their reading from the Braille group.   Go to
actionfund.org/bral.

Scholarship:  Both the National and the state programs opened on November 1
2019 and will close on March 31 2020.  for national the deadline time is
11:59 p.m. eastern time and for Illinois the documents have to be in by
11:59 p.m. central time.   A letter of reference, and a essay about your
blindness are required.   Avant strongly encouraged those in school to fill
out for our scholarship.  Stein will appoint someone to interview them for
the state scholarship program.

Spring seminar:  March 20 to the 22.   The Midwest student seminar room rate
will be $109 per night.  It will be posted on the web page and Avant is
talking to Gordon to request DORS provide funding for those between  the
ages of 14 to 22 to get funding to attend the midwest seminar under the
workforce student attendance act "workforce authorization act".

National Convention:   July 14  through July 19.   Avant reported that the
Jernigan fund and first timers must send a letter to Avant by March 31
telling her why you want to go to National convention and who will be
mentoring you.   She will submit that to the Kenneth Jernigan committee by
April 15.   The Chappell Dennis application should be to her by May 1.
There will be a training seminar on convention a mini seminar to those who
receive assistance.

Face-to-face board meeting: Avant reported that the face-to-face board
meeting will be August 29 2020  at the Sheridan Lyle Naperville Hotel.

State Convention:   October 30 through November 1 and chappell Dennis
applications for state convention are due September 1.

Washington Seminar:   Illinois has 9 people, Denise Avant, Marilyn Green,
Juliette Walker, first time, Steve Hastalis, Mary lou Grunwald, Dustin
Cather, Ellen Bartelt, Liza Jager and Nelly Gamino.

Federal report: Legislation:  Green reported that President Riccobono gave
the federal report in the presidential release.

OLD BUSINESS

Minutes for December did not need to be corrected.  The error was not on the
part of the mnote taker, but in the transcript from National.

NEW BUSINESS

MOTION

Pittman made a motion to move the February meeting from the 3rd to February
4, 2020.  It was seconded by Hamrik and unanimously carried.

Avant reported that Games night will be January 11 2020  after the meeting
for $25.  There will be pizza, salad and soft drinks.  E-mail Meyer  to let
him know you are interested in coming.

Miscellaneous

Hamrik has two concerts coming up January 11 and January 26 .  She will post
something on Il-talk.   The one on the 11 is at 2.

adjournment

motion

Hamrik moved to adjourn.  It was seconded by Burke  and unanimously carried.

The meeting adjourned at 8:57 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by

Debbie Pittman on behalf of Charlene Elder.