[IABS-Talk] Federal Legislation update-HR 2086, Access Technology Affordability Act

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 13:09:50 UTC 2020

Greetings federationists,

We have exciting news leading into our national convention...HR 2086 has 101 co-sponsors nationwide and 11 of those are from right here in Illinois. Mike Bost is our newest co-sponsor. Please call his office or send him an e-mail to express our appreciation for his support of our legislation. Congressman Bost joins, Rep. Rodney Davis, Rep. Bill Foster, Rep. Jesus "Chuy" Garcia, Rep. Robin Kelly, Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, Rep. Darrin LaHood, Rep. Daniel Lipinski, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, Rep. Brad Schneider  and Rep. Lauren Underwood. If you have not already done so, please reach out to these representatives by e-mail or telephone to express our gratitude for their support.

Illinois can add at lease four more co-sponsors in hopes of getting this bill included in the next economic stimulus package. If you live in the district of Rep. Cheri Bustos, Rep. Danny K. Davis, Rep. Mike Quigley or Rep. Bobby Rush, please call or e-mail them to say how much the passage of this bill will improve the lives of blind people. You can say something like:

"Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME], and I am a constituent of [REPRESENTATIVE/SENATOR NAME]. I live in [CITY, STATE]. COVID-19 has impacted employment and
educational opportunities for blind Americans. In a time of physical distancing, self-sufficiency is also paramount. I urge [REPRESENTATIVE/SENATOR NAME]
to cosponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act [H.R. 2086 in the House]. This bill creates a refundable tax credit in the amount
of $2,000 to offset the cost of expensive access technology, such as Braille embossers, Braille notetakers, and screen reading software. In the wake of
the COVID-19 pandemic a bill that will help increase employment opportunities, educational opportunities, and self-sufficiency for blind Americans is needed
more than ever. Thank you.”

You can contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard and asking for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121. If you email
your representative or senators, please copy Jeff Kaloc at
jkaloc at nfb.org.
Your calls and emails do make a difference.

If you need the e-mail address to contact your representative, please contact Marilyn Green, marilynvgreen at gmail.com, off list.

Thanks for all that you do to build our organization.

Marilyn Green