[IABS-Talk] Vote by mail letter

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 19:01:47 UTC 2020

Hello all,

Let me make a couple points. First, this is not a demand letter. Second, our
state legislative co-chairs were involved, as this matter came to our
attention and was moving quickly through the legislature.

Third, we tried expressing our concerns to the state legislature regarding
the vote by mail bill. For most of the past legislative session, the
legislature did not meet due to COVID-19. We attempted to contact
legislators by phone and by mail and e-mail who were involved with the
legislation. There was no chance for comment on the bill.

Our concerns are shared by many across the U.S. as states pass vote by mail
provisions. In fact, the NFB of Michigan, New York and Pennsylvania district
courts ruled that the state election vote by mail process had to be
accessible so that blind voters could vote secretly and independently in
their primaries. Within a short time, those states were able to comply with
the court orders. I advised both key members of our legislatures about this
and also the governor's office. Our efforts were directed at letting the
politicians know that vote by mail must be accessible. Quite frankly, there
are other states, Washington, Hawaii, Oregon and Maryland that have had vote
by mail provision and the Illinois legislature could have done a better job
if only someone in the legislature would have looked at those states.

Finally,  once the legislature passed the bill and the governor signed it, I
sent the letter you have now seen to the Illinois Secretary of State's
office. It went out on Tuesday. Jesse White should have the letter by now
and for that matter those to whom copies were sent. Patti's involvement in
the ISBA has led to an article being published. We will have to see if we
receive a quick response.

Our board has voted at the June 17 meeting to pursue a complaint with DOJ if
that becomes necessary. Litigation is a last resort. But, litigation will be
done only if both the state board approves and our national organization
agrees.

I hope this answers some questions.

Thanks.

Denise R. Avant, Esq.