[IABS-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of April 19

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Tue Apr 20 11:08:32 UTC 2021

News:

Attend the Next Presidential Release on May 3—Captioning and Spanish Available:

The next Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind
will be delivered on Monday, May 3, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the
remarks there
is an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance to
cdanielsen at nfb.org
 and put PR505 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension
2473. Closed captions and Spanish interpretation will be available.
Mark your calendars!
Zoom details will be available soon. You can also access the live
stream on your favorite Amazon device by asking Alexa to play Nation’s
Blind.

Coordination of Collaborations with Nationwide Entities:

Sometimes national corporations like Starbucks reach out to our state
affiliate leadership. Because it is important for us to coordinate
relationships
with national corporations nationwide, I ask that you let me know when
someone from a national corporation or other national entity reaches
out to you.
That way we can be sure that we coordinate all such contacts. You will
want to know who else is working with any given entity, and I need to
have the information
to be sure we are consistent across all of our national, state, and
local channels.

S. 1 and Accessible Voting:

Monday of last week (April 12) we sent out a legislative alert
regarding some of our concerns with S. 1, the For the People Act.
These concerns are in
the areas of accessible in-person voting and accessible vote-by-mail.
Specifically, we are asking that Congress make two amendments to the
legislation:
the first would require that at least two accessible ballot-marking
devices are in each polling place and are actively and specifically
offered to voters
with and without disabilities; the second would ensure that states
maintain the requirements for accessible voting mandated in the
Americans with Disabilities
Act and the Help America Vote Act. I also wrote an
op-ed on this topic that was published in The Hill
 on Friday, April 16. I encourage you to read it.

Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award—Deadline May 1:

Every year, the National Federation of the Blind Distinguished
Educator of Blind Students Award recognizes an outstanding teacher of
blind students. The
education of blind children is one of our highest priorities. Please
help us recognize dedicated and innovative teachers who provide
quality education
and meaningful experiences and opportunities for their blind students.
Learn more about Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award
 and nominate an individual by May 1.

Latest Blog Posts: Read about Audio Descriptions and Fundraising:

The Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog highlights personal experiences
and stories of blind people. Read and share one of the recent articles
below:

list of 1 items
• "’Pork Chops Taste Good, Bacon Tastes Good!’ Why I Am an Advocate
for Audio Description
” by Everette Bacon
list end

Nation’s Blind Podcast Episode on Diversity and Inclusion:

The Nation's Blind Podcast highlights different themes related to
blindness, independent living, and news from the National Federation
of the Blind. Hosts
Anil and Melissa talk with Colin Wong, who co-chairs the Diversity and
Inclusion Committee of the Federation. Access
April 14, 2021 – Diversity and Inclusion in the National Federation of the Blind
 or subscribe and listen by searching for Nation's Blind Podcast in
your podcast client.

Give $20 Convention Drawing:

Each year, thousands of Federation members and friends make donations
to fund our great programs. Your continued support is needed. When you
participate
in the
Give $20 campaign
 you will be entered into the Give $20 convention drawing (formerly
known as the Kenneth Jernigan convention drawing) AND help our work to
change lives
for blind people across the country.

How to Contribute and Qualify:

Please note: The drawing is for individuals and is not intended for
contributions by divisions, state affiliates, or chapters.

You must specify a fund in order to be entered into the drawing. You
can do this by using our
Give $20 online donation form
 or writing in the memo if giving by check. Choose one of the
following funds: Kenneth Jernigan Fund, SUN Fund, White Cane Fund, or
the tenBroek Fund.
Your donation will be counted for the drawing regardless of which fund
you designate.

·
Donate online now.

·       Donate via phone by calling our donation line at 410-659-9314,
extension 2282.

·       Send a check to Attention: Give20, National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute,
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230.
Be sure to have "Give 20" and the fund you are donating to in the memo.

Thank you for your support!

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

list of 6 items
May 1:
Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award
 nominations deadline
• May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
May 7:
NFB BELL® Academy application
 deadline (for session one)
• May 10:
NFB EQ application
 deadline
• June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
• July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere
list end

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396