[IABS-Talk] Federal Legislation Update

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 15:54:16 UTC 2021

Good Morning Everyone:

If you have not done so already, it is time for us to call or write to thank
our representatives for either sponsoring or co-sponsoring our legislative
initiatives.

First, we have the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853).
This bill is designed to implement accessibility for blind users for medical
devices like glucometers, thermometers, blood pressure monitors ETC.

Rep. Schakowsky, Janice D. [D-IL-9] is the Bill's Sponsor

We have several members living in her District. Please reach out to thank
her for being a sponsor and for just supporting our other initiatives.

Rep. Casten, Sean [D-IL-6]

I know a few of you talked to his office during Washington seminar 2021.
Again, please reach out to thank him.

Second, we also have Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act
(House - H.R. 2373) This legislation phases out Section 14C allowing payment
of subminimum wages to disabled Americans.

Rep. Quigley, Mike [D-IL-5] is our only co-sponsor. A number of us live in
his district. Reach out to say thank you.

There is a companion senate bill, S3238. We don't have a co-sponsor yet.

Finally, We have done very well with H.R. 431, Access Technology
Affordability Act with 13 co-sponsors in the House and S. 212 in the Senate
with Senator Duckworth as the co-sponsor. This bill would provide a tax
credit of up to $2000 over a three year period to purchase access technology
for blind Americans. There are now 116 co-sponsors in the House and 32 in
the Senate. So we are close to getting the bill passed. Please reach out to
Rep. Foster, Bustos and Casten to see if they will support the legislation.

We have still more work to do on getting support for all of the above bills.
So please call or write to ask your representative for support. If you want
to call, you can call the switchboard in Washington D.C. to be connected to
any congressional office. The telephone number is 202-225-3121. If you wish
to send an email, please reach out to Dustin Cather cather.dustin at gmail.com
<mailto:cather.dustin at gmail.com>  or me davant1958 at gmail.com
<mailto:davant1958 at gmail.com>  and we will get you an email address.

Washington seminar is quickly approaching, February 7-10 and we can do some
work write now to get support.

Thank you for all you do.

Denise Avant, ESQ

1st Vice President