[IABS-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of January 4

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Jan 6 13:10:39 UTC 2021

Please see the following excerpt from President Riccobono's notebook:

News:

Washington Seminar:

The Great Gathering-In is only thirty-four days away! That means we are just
over one month away from the start of our 2021 Virtual Washington Seminar.
While we can't be together in person, we're still going to make sure our
voices are heard throughout the halls of the new Congress. The government
affairs personnel will be conducting virtual trainings throughout the month
of January to make sure that your Zoom meetings with members of Congress
will be thorough and persuasive.

DOT Final Rule for Traveling by Air With Service Animals:

On December 10, 2020, the Department of Transportation (DOT) released the
final rule for Traveling by Air With Service Animals. The rule goes into
effect January 11, 2021, and permits airlines to require passengers to
complete a DOT Service Animal Air Transportation Form. We have been working
with the DOT and provided extensive feedback on the accessibility of the
form. Additionally, on December 22, 2020, we issued an open letter to all
airlines urging them not to require the form for passengers with service
animals. Raul Gallegos, the president of NAGDU, has been working closely
with Blane Workie at the Department of Transportation on this issue.

In the News: "Is It Better to Be a Braille Reader Than a Print Reader?":

Please read the recent Education and Career News article titled, "
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.educationandcareernews.com%2
Fliteracy-in-america%2Fis-it-better-to-be-a-braille-reader-than-a-print-read
er%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGepfuw1yw34focxi3txsHGzMqpmA> Is It Better to Be
a Braille Reader Than a Print Reader?" by Mark Riccobono, with input from
Natalie Shaheen, EdD. This article was featured in USA Today on December 29
and discusses what is needed to improve literacy for blind students.

Read the Latest Braille Monitor:

The Braille Monitor is the flagship publication of the National Federation
of the Blind. It covers Federation events and activities, addresses the
issues we face as blind people, and more. Access the January Braille Monitor
now:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfb.org%2Fimages%2Fnfb%2Fpub
lications%2Fbm%2Fbm21%2Fbm2101%2Fbm2101tc.htm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFUDdOrYh
P0oMGTaiu6V-D-_BS0DA>
https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2101/bm2101tc.htm

2021 Membership Rosters

As we swap out our calendars for 2021, our chapters and affiliates will
begin collecting dues for the new membership year. As with last year, we
will again be asking affiliates to confirm the membership status of those
who were members in the previous year. Over the course of the next couple of
weeks, each affiliate president will be receiving a spreadsheet containing
your member roster along with each individual's dues status. The process has
been substantially streamlined from last year as you will need only to
confirm membership status for 2021. Rosters should be returned by February
28. Look for additional instructions and details to arrive via email with
your membership spreadsheet.

Louis Braille Commemorative Silver Dollar on Sale in Honor of 2021 World
Braille Day:

During the week of January 4-8 only, the National Federation of the Blind
Independence Market will be offering special pricing for the Louis Braille
Bicentennial Silver Dollar. This commemorative coin was issued by the United
States Mint in 2009 to honor the two hundredth anniversary of Louis
Braille's birth. The United States Mint issues only two commemorative silver
dollars each year, so it is truly special that our incredible advocacy led
to the recognition of Louis Braille's contribution to the literacy of blind
people in this way. During this week, the price of this collector's coin
will be $50.00 plus shipping and handling. To make a purchase or for further
questions, please contact the NFB Independence Market by phone at
410-659-9314, extension 2216, or by email at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/19yop2p8r0m15/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=independenc
emarket at nfb.org> independencemarket at nfb.org.

Independence Market Product of the Month:

Independence Market is starting a new trend for 2021 with the "Product of
the Month." The January 2021 Product of the Month is thermometers, both oral
and infrared (non-contact). You can purchase an oral thermometer from the
Independence Market for $18.00 and an infrared thermometer for $50.00.

Upcoming Event-Smart Cities Summit:

The National Federation of the Blind Smart Cities Summit is a one-day online
event on Thursday, January 28, 2021. The goal is to bring policymakers and
technology developers together to collaborate and create accessible
infrastructure for smart cities. Review the agenda and
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfb.org%2Fprograms-services%
2Fcenter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Ftrainings%2Fsmart-cities-summit&sa=D&
sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHXsGJJxMJkQWjd6AgpdYtaMMOkkg> register for the Smart Cities
Summit today!

Upcoming Accessibility Boutiques (all via Zoom):

Advocating for Accessibility-January 26, 2:00-3:30 p.m. eastern
Whether in school, the workplace, or everyday life, we often encounter
products or services that are not accessible. While lawsuits get most of the
attention, many products and services are made accessible through the
efforts of their users. Please join the National Federation of the Blind
Center for Excellence in Nonvisual Accessibility to learn how you can reach
companies and work with them to improve the accessibility of their products.
Check our website for updates, including the link to register.

Future Boutiques:
Accessibility of Virtual Meeting Platforms-February 23, 2:00-3:30 p.m.
eastern

How to Best Utilize Your Smartphone Accessibly-March 30, 2:00-3:30 p.m.
eastern

Accessibility of Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) Products-April 27,
2:00-3:30 p.m. eastern

Thanks to the NFB of Oregon:

Special thanks go to our Oregon affiliate for recent contributions,
including splitting a bequest and contributing to the More than Ever
Campaign. As always, our affiliate support is essential so we can work
together to build the Federation.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	January 18:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Factionfund.org%2Fprograms%2Fbrai
lle-readers-are-leaders&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNF9IEgcPXWChIaM-VdY89K1jcqJTQ>
Braille Readers Are Leaders registration (and page count) deadline
*	January 26: Advocating for Accessibility, 2:00-3:30 p.m.
*	January 28:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfb.org%2Fprograms-services%
2Fcenter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Ftrainings%2Fsmart-cities-summit&sa=D&
sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHXsGJJxMJkQWjd6AgpdYtaMMOkkg> Smart Cities Summit,
12:00-8:00 p.m.
*	February 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	February 8:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfb.org%2Fprograms-services%
2Fadvocacy%2Fwashington-seminar&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGCCIoTzv4ZNzK5xtT2hIDx
79eCSw> Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In
*	February 23: Accessibility of Virtual Meeting Platforms, 2:00-3:30
p.m.
*	March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
*	March 31:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfb.org%2Fprograms-services%
2Fscholarships-and-awards%2Fscholarship-program%2Fscholarship-program-applic
ation-checklist&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEgNcIh8vXJDA5uLzTWXRDfS2bpYQ>
Scholarship application deadline
*	April 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	April 15:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfb.org%2Fbolotin&sa=D&sntz=
1&usg=AFQjCNGMFBB6SG5E7O-kpFYyEuMITz9Vsw> Bolotin Awards nominations
deadline
*	May 2: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.

*      March 30: How to Best Utilize Your Smartphone Accessibly, 2:00-3:30
p.m.

*	April 27: Accessibility of Google Workspace (formerly G Suite)
Products, 2:00-3:30 p.m.
*	June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
*	July 6-11: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org>