[IABS-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of March 1

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Mar 3 14:17:52 UTC 2021

News:

National Convention—Stronger Together: Transforming and Unifying Our Future:

Plan to attend the National Federation of the Blind 2021 National
Convention, July 6-10, being held virtually. Our national convention
is the largest gathering
of blind people, and this year will be bigger and better than ever. We
are eager to connect more blind Americans from anywhere to build
opportunities everywhere.
Registration is now open and free! While there is no registration fee
to attend, please consider a donation if you are in a position to do
so. Register
today at
https:\\nfb.org/convention.

Presidential Release:

In case you missed it last night, the
March Presidential Release
 is now available on our website.

Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act:

The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act is in full effect! One hundred
percent of all hybrid and electric vehicles manufactured on or after
March 1, 2021,
must comply with the law and the associated regulation.
Congratulations to all Federationists who helped make this law a
reality. The roads of America
are safer for all pedestrians, especially blind pedestrians!

Latest Blog Post: “Did I Say That Was OK with Me? Understanding
Consent and Boundaries”:

The Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog highlights personal experiences
and stories of blind people. In the recent article, Sarah Meyer shares
her story and
the importance of honoring your own and others’ boundaries.
Read the recent blog post, “Did I Say That Was OK with Me?
Understanding Consent and Boundaries.
”

Upcoming Event: Advocating for Accessibility:

On March 9, learn how you can reach companies and work with them to
improve the accessibility of their products. Accessibility boutiques
and seminars are
workshops presented by National Federation of the Blind access
technology experts that provide introductions to accessibility best
practices and the latest
trends in access tech.
Learn more and register today for an accessibility boutique.

Letter to Governors:

In February, President Riccobono wrote to all governors regarding the
urgent need to ensure access for individuals with disabilities to
COVID-19 vaccines
and tests. A copy of the letter is available on the
NFB’s Policy Statements
 webpage. We will soon be releasing a survey to help us gather data
regarding COVID-19 vaccine and testing-related discrimination and will
be encouraging
affiliates to contact their local COVID-19 vaccine and
test-administrating agency to request information about how
accessibility is being implemented at
the local level. Please stay tuned.

Legal Program Contact Us Form:

The NFB has created a legal program contact us form, available via our
legal webpage.
We invite you to contact the NFB regarding blindness-related legal
concerns and questions. While we cannot assist with every request, we
can often connect
members with resources and tools for advocacy.

Unemployment Benefits Survey:

The NFB is investigating barriers and denials related to unemployment
benefits. If you have been terminated or laid off from your job within
the last two
years, please take time to complete our important survey, available at
the NFB’s legal webpage.

NFB BELL Academy®:

The National Federation of the Blind is offering three virtual
programs of the NFB BELL Academy this summer to prepare blind and
low-vision children to
grow into confident and independent blind people by enhancing their
education. Options are available for beginner, intermediate, and
advanced students
for the following dates:

list of 3 items
Session 1 - June 7-18, 2021
Session 2 - July 19-30, 2021
Session 3 - August 9-20, 2021
list end

Receive Braille and other fun materials for lessons. Connect with
experienced teachers. Build relationships with other blind students
and mentors.

NFB BELL Academy, an annual summer program, is appropriate for blind
and low-vision children, ages 4-12, who:

list of 3 items
do not receive enough Braille and nonvisual skills instruction in school
could benefit from more Braille exposure over the summer
would enjoy connecting with blind role models
list end

While the program is typically in person across the country, we are
excited to offer it virtually in 2021. Application:
English application

Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium Keynote Speaker Announced:

Kathy Martinez, who recently joined Disability Rights Advocates as
president and CEO, will be the keynote speaker for the 2021 Jacobus
tenBroek Disability
Law Symposium. An internationally recognized disability rights
advocate, Ms. Martinez previously served as senior vice president at
Wells Fargo, as US
Assistant Secretary of the Office of Disability Employment Policy, and
as executive director of the World Institute on Disability. Don’t miss
this opportunity
to join nationally renowned disability rights advocates at the United
States’ leading disability law symposium, held virtually this year
March 24–26, as
we examine issues relating to race, diversity, inclusion, and the
right to live in the world. Registration is $100, and student
registration is free. Visit
the
law symposium webpage
 to register and view the agenda and speaker bios. Registration will
close on March 10, 2021.

Post-Washington Seminar Update:

Despite not being able to assemble in person for the 2021 Washington
Seminar, we were still able to ensure that the presence of the
National Federation
of the Blind was felt throughout the halls of Congress. Due to your
advocacy, the number of cosponsors for the Access Technology
Affordability Act more
than doubled in both the House and the Senate. We gained twenty-nine
new House cosponsors for ATAA and seven new Senate cosponsors.
Additionally, we have
received significant interest and requests for more information on
each of our other legislative priorities as well. Thank you so much
for all of your
hard work and advocacy that helped make this year’s Washington Seminar
a success.

Letters to Congress:

In the past two weeks, I have sent two very important letters to
Congress regarding
voting accessibility
 and the
elimination of subminimum wages
 for Americans with disabilities. I encourage you to read both letters on the
Policy Statements page
 of our website. As a general reminder, the Policy Statements page is
where we will post any important correspondence from the National
Federation of the
Blind to Congress or the executive branch of the federal government.
We also post all of our responses to requests for comments or
information from any
of the federal agencies in this section of our website. So If you
would like to know what our position on a particular issue is, the
Policy Statements
page is the place to check.

Independence Market March Product of the Month:

Kenneth Jernigan Map of the United States: This colorful take-apart
topographical puzzle map makes it fun and interesting to learn about
various geographical
features of the United States. Each state is a puzzle piece. The major
rivers, mountain chains, state capitals, and latitude and longitude
lines, are all
indicated tactilely. Underneath the puzzle pieces the map shows the
boundaries of all fifty states with Braille state abbreviations. The
map measures 32
1/2 × 18 inches and includes Braille and print reference guides that
give facts about each state. AIG19M $250.00

Independence Market March Sale Items:

·      Plastic Envelope Writing Guide AIL08G $1.00

·      Plastic Letter Writing Guide AIL12G $1.00

·      2X Illuminated Magnifier with 6X Insert and Folding Handle AIL103M $5.00

·      Carbon Fiber Rigid Long White Cane with Metal Glide Tip
(available in sizes from 49 through 69 inches in two-inch increments)
ACF##S $15.00

·      Solitaire and Fox & Geese (two board games in one) AIG75G $10.00

Reminders:

Scholarship Program–Deadline Approaching:

The National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to
blind scholars across the country. The application process is open
until March 31, and
we encourage students to start the process now. Review the scholarship
application checklist and the scholarship program FAQs. Share this
opportunity that
invests in the future of blind people.
Learn about the eligibility and requirements of the 2021 scholarship
program and start the application process now.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

list of 8 items
March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
March 31:
Scholarship application
 deadline
April 5: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
April 15:
Bolotin Awards
 nominations deadline
May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396