[IABS-Talk] At Large chapter meeting minutes-March 2021

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Sun Mar 28 13:44:11 UTC 2021

Illinois at Large Chapter Meeting March Notes:
The meeting is called to order March 9, 2020 at 7:07 P.M. The people
who attended the meeting are Ellen Bartelt, Marilyn Green, Denise
Avant, Dustin Cather, Dave Myer, Cathy Randle, Debby Pitman and Linda
Hindle. Members went around and shared what they are thankful for
since the last meeting. Many members are thankful they got their
shots. Debby Pitman led everyone in the NFB pledge.
Programing: Denise Avant and Dustin Cather attended the meeting to
discuss Washington Seminar. Illinois had nine people who were on the
seminar team. We were able to meet with all of our congress members,
but Mary Miller. We are still trying to get a meeting with her office.
There are four issues this year dealing with excessive. Access
Technology Affordable Act. This bill has been introduced in the house
as HR 431. Illinois has eight co-signers for this bill. The other
three issues the NFB are looking for a congress person to support the
issues.
National Presidential Report: Registration for national convention is
open. The cost is free this year because it is virtual. Maryland will
be hosting the convention. More information about convention will be
on the web site soon. This month a bill was passed that all moving
cars have to make noise. Debby Stein did a lot of work on this bill.
BELL applications are out for families to apply. The program is for 4
to 12 years old. There will be 3 sessions during the summer.
State Presidential Report: Debby Stein is the person to reach out to
if you want to be a mentor for BELL. We had a state board meeting on
February 21 with the members. The state is working on a virus help
plan for members look for that soon. Midwest Seminar will be taking
place March 19, and 20. Registration has already closed. The topic
will be diversity and inclusion. The deadline for the national and
state scholarships is March 31, at midnight.
Old and New Business: There was not any new or old business. Meeting
ended at 8:50 P.M.
Signed Ellen Bartelt will be on the web site soon. You do not have to
go to a separate form to register to vote. You can do it on the form.
Today is a bill being place into law that all cars must make noise
when they move or stop. Debby Stein did a lot of work on this bill.
BELL applications are out for students across the country who are 4 to
12 years old. This year BELL will be done at home again. Students will
receive boxes in the mail. This is an exciting program for blind
students to work on their braille. There will be 3 BELL sessions
during the summer.
State Presidential Report: Debby Stein is the person to reach out to
if you would want to be a mentor for BELL this summer. Both the state
and the national scholarships are due on March 31 at midnight. We had
our last board meeting on February 21 for our members.

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396