[IABS-Talk] Fwd: IABS Minutes for Oct 10 2021

ellen bartelt embartelt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 18:34:35 UTC 2021

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Glenn III <gmoore3rd at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 15:19:51 -0500
Subject: IABS Minutes for Oct 10 2021
To: Ellen Bartelt <embartelt at gmail.com>

Hi Ellen, I got these ASAP since there are to-do items that have to be done
before convention. pasted below and attached are the minutes from last
night's IABS board meeting.
Thanks.
-Glenn Moore III

IL Association of Blind Students (NFB of IL)
October 10, 2021 Minutes
By Glenn Moore (IABS Treasurer)
note: caret symbol [^] denotes a new to-do item.

7pm Roll Call:
Board present:
Ellen Bartelt (President)
Sara Luna (1st VP)
Natalio Abar (2nd VP)
Glenn Moore (Treasurer)
Teresa
Elizabeth Sprecher
Debbie Stein

board not present:
Ayoub Zurikat
Alex Gamino

Guests:
Marilyn Green (NFBI President)

PIE FUNDRAISER:
Sara: "Piepalooza" fundraiser is under way. We've started advertising. ^I
will send another blast to our media tomorow. Goals are $100 to pie ellen,
200 Dustin, 300 Denise, 400 Patti, 500 Marilyn. Pies are just whipped
cream. Glenn will bring supplies. Patti says hotel has us do this in atrium
to avoid carpet. I replied Patti's email asking about supplies.
Ellen: it will be 9:30 after banquet.
Glenn: Michal said Zelle and website payments can be verified within
minutes.
Sara: highest donors get to throw a pie at whom they select.
Marilyn: announcment of pie is during banquet, maybe in first 15 min before
keynote, so ^be ready with totals, names of largest donors and who gets
which pie.
Debbie: will this be live on zoom?
Sara will record the pie throw on a phone, add audio description and post
links to the video on our media channels.

COOKING CLASS FUNDRAISER:
Ellen: Teresa will demonstrate a live Zoom cooking class Nov. 13 from 5 to
7 P.M. $30 with 8 to 10 people. We will include a description of the meal
in promotions and participants will receive details with an ingredient list
after registering (at least a week prior to class [^Nov 6]). Teresa has
provided us the recipe and Natalio has crafted promo info so far.

IABS IDOL AT CONVENTION:
Ellen: State board won last year's battle of the chapters and chose fight
songs as the theme for this year's battle. Chicago is singing "Bear Down
Chicago Bears". At large chose "Eye of the Tiger". We need to choose IABS'
song.
Suggestions included, "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten, "Burning Heart" from
the film Rocky 4, The Chicago Blackhawks' Theme ("Chelsea Dagger"), and
"I'm Still Standing" by Elton John.
Burning Heart won the vote.
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc71KZG87X4 ]
^Glenn will post to IL talk that people should send their song requests to
him.
^and let Marco know whenever he receives a video/file or song request.
^Marilyn will set aside coozies and t-shirts for prizes (no large left).
^Glenn will purchase one $25 Amazon gift card for top prize (after
authorization).

SEPTEMBER MINUTES:
Natalio moves; Glenn second to table Sept. minutes.

OUTREACH:
Sara: we sent emails to TVI's and DSS staff without reply, and plan
recovening after convention for more strategy; maybe reaching to students
directly. We wanted to colaborate with MN students before convention yet
they too have become busy with their convention, so we'll instead
colobarote an event afterward; probably November. They currently do trivia.
Ellen: NABS trivia is next saturday night. Feel free to sign up.
Sara: 1/4 of proceeds go back to winning state student chapter.

STUDENT LUNCHEON AT CONVENTION:
Ellen: Our Luncheon will start with teacher award.
Debbie: This year we will award classroom teacher Tracy Geralds (who, along
with her blind student and his parents will attend virtually from southern
IL). Ohio School for the Blind is working on the plaque with print and
braille overlay. Steven Lance said via email it is $31. it will be mailed
to Tracy.
^Ellen will present the teacher award at convention.
^Debbie will get the plaque language to Ellen.
Debbie: Scholarship finalists are Kudzai Shava (attending virtually from
Tanzania), Teresa Fabre, and Mari Richardson. They typically are introduced
(I can share their info in advance if needed), and each speaks for a few
minutes.
^Debbie will present the scholars at the luncheon.
Ellen: our NABS rep is Kinshuk Tella, science major from Ohio and one of
the Idol judges, will speak at the luncheon.
Marilyn: Natalie Shaheen, NFB EQ coordinator, will introduce students,
Andrea and Aiwa, who are on the agenda for 15-20 min., then Kinshuk will do
"Growing with the Federation".
Natalie also from Ohio's rival University.
^Ellen will email table topics plans.

STATE AFFILLIATE REPORT:
Marilyn: Almost all on call have preregistered. prereg. and
voting-registration have closed. To register now, contact Patti Chang or
register in person at Convention. The cost is now $20. The agenda went live
early last week:
[ HTML agenda: https://www.nfbofillinois.org/convention/agenda ]
Friday at 1:30 Ralph Cossentino is leading a sculpting activity.
Resolutions 4p. Ken Coleman (of the business owners' panel) has aggreed to
be an Idol judge.
Saturday Morning is "Parent and Student Breakfast". Anil Lewis, Esli Ramos,
and Kinshuk Tella, all will talk on self advocacy about 45 min.
Saturday General Session includes a segment on archery.
Sunday includes the Business Meeting with President's and Treasurer's
Reports. IABS has 3 positions up for vote.
I've tried to make this agenda educational, fun and with something for
everybody.
^Glenn will help breakdown once convention ends at noon Sunday.
^everyone will stay till the end of convention, noon, Sunday.

Sara moves and Debbie seconds to adjourn: 7:56 P.M.