[IABS-Talk] at large minutes for november

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Sat Nov 27 12:56:57 UTC 2021

Hear are the minutes for the at large meeting of November, 2021.

Minutes of meeting held Sunday, November 1, 2021

Members present: President David Meyer, Patti Chang, Secretary Bill
Reif, Marilyn Green, Kyle Chellino, Yvonne Adjarko, Danny Mandrell and
Debbie Pittman. Jemal Powell joined during presentation of the
Presidential Release.

Visitor Jooyoung Seo is blind and moved to the U.S. in 2013. He
attended Pennsylvania State College and recently moved to Champaign to
accept a position as Assistant Professor of Information Sciences at the
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign. He was an NFB member in
Pennsylvania and is happy to reconnect in Illinois. Soyoung Choi also
relocated from Pennsylvania. This is her first NFbI meeting. She is an
Assistant Professor, and is studying health care for the blind and
teaches undergraduates interested in people with disabilities.

The minutes for the October meeting had been previously emailed to
il-talk, IABS-talk, and distributed via Newsline. Kyle moved, and
Debbie Pittman seconded, approval. Motion passed.

Presidential Release 510 for November 1st was played. Washington
Seminar is planned February 7-10, 2022. It is currently planned to be
in person. On October 12, the Ability One Commission released a Notice
of Proposed Rule Making regarding the payment of sub minimum wages by
affiliated nonprofit agencies. The proposed rule would require that
each agency certify that it will not pay sub minimum wages. The NFB
will submit comments in support and urges its members to watch for them
and to amplify them. he also noted efforts in Illinois and Delaware to
eliminate sub minimum wage payments under state contracts.

The NFB is proposing changes to its Code of Conduct, a draft of which
is posted at www.nfb.org/draftcode. Members are urged to comment by
December 2nd. In October, the Survivor-led Task Force has transitioned
to the Blind Survivors' Group. Katherine Webster of Massachusetts and
Danielle Monitor of Texas cochair. an email list is
survivors at nfbnet.org. send a blank email to
survivors-subscribe at nfbnet.org to join.

Marilyn gave the State Report, beginning by thanking everyone who
participated in the 2021 NFBI Hybrid Convention, noting it was good to
be with people she had not seen in nearly two years. She mentioned
several convention highlights including the IABS Pie Palooza fund
raiser and National Rep Anil Louis's contributions, and urged people to
respond to the email from Kira O'bradovich seeking feedback. She urged
people to consider attending our Washington Seminar, the application
for which will be posted when national plans come together and will be
due the first week of December. Our State Board Meeting will also be in
the first part of December when scheduled. The Midwest Student Seminar
will be the March 28 weekend. Patti informed us that President
Riccobono has been diagnosed with Covid-19 and invited people to reach
out via email or social media.

There was no old business. Dave led the chapter in reciting the NFB Pledge.

New business included consideration of new program ideas, including
presentation of speeches and literature discussing our philosophy
regarding blindness. Some could be controversial, such as disagreement
on our position of Accessabee and web access. Dave suggested discussion
of the Newsline service and features of its app. Dave and Debbie will
confer on ideas.

Dave invited people to consider fund raiser ideas for discussion next
month. The chapter has thus far done almost no fund raising.

Bill and Dave discussed efforts in Illinois to assure that blind
persons and those with print impairments can vote remotely in a manner
as accessible as those who can vote by mail. A Board of Elections
meeting in Chicago and on zoom is set for Wednesday, November 10at
2:00. A similar hearing has already taken place in Springfield. Zoom
Information was sent on our list serves.

Our next Chapter meeting is set to take place December fifth at 7:00
via the customary Zoom link.

The meeting adjourned at about 8:08 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Bill Reif, Secretary