[IABS-Talk] 2021 state convention bulletin

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Mon Sep 13 12:12:03 UTC 2021

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF ILLINOIS

2021 CONVENTION BULLETIN

"STRONGER THAN THE PANDEMIC"

On October 22, 23, and 24, 2021, enthusiastic Federationists will assemble
in Lisle, Illinois to renew our dedication in the pursuit of security,
equality, and opportunity for all blind people.

On Thursday, June 17, 2021, the Board of Directors of the National
Federation of the Blind of Illinois voted to host a hybrid state convention
at the Sheraton Lisle Naperville Hotel, 3000 Warrenville Road, Lisle, Il,
60532 phone 630-505-1000.  Room rates are $99 per night plus applicable
taxes. Please indicate that you are with the NFBI to get this special rate.
Make reservations by calling 630-505-1000. Reservations must be guaranteed
with a credit card or a one-night deposit.  Our cutoff date for reservations
is September 30.

This year's convention will kick off on Friday with a fun art activity. It
will be followed by our resolutions committee meeting.  Come learn and
participate in our governing process.

IABS IDOL will occur Friday evening.  Those wanting to perform during the
IABS Idol should contact IABS by e-mailing Glenn Moore at
<mailto:gmoore3rd at gmail.com> gmoore3rd at gmail.com or calling or texting him
at 847-899-9801.  Please put IABS IDOL in your subject line.

Our general session will convene on Saturday, October 23, at 9 a.m.  During
Saturday's general sessions we will hear a National Report regarding NFB
happenings delivered by our National Representative, Anil Lewis, Executive
Director of Blindness Initiatives at the National Federation of the Blind
and we will have a report from the National Association of Blind Students.

We will have a business owner panel Featuring Steve Pangere, owner of
Pangere Construction; Ken Coleman, owner of Onnie Music; and Sabrina
Simmons, owner of Eye Learn, a 2021 Bolotin award winning organization.
Doula Jarboe will present her lived experience as a person with multiple
disabilities. Ingrid Halvorsen, Assistant Bureau Chief, Illinois Bureau of
Blind Services will join us to talk about services for the blind in our
state. We will hear from the Interim Director of the Illinois Talking Book
and Braille Service, Joe Natali, highlight how our programs change lives,
and much more.

We will have a Saturday parent breakfast and a Sunday student breakfast.  We
will have both student and parent luncheons on Saturday.  In addition, there
will be a breakout session for parents of blind children.

Saturday evening will culminate with our annual banquet, featuring an
inspiring address from our National Representative, Anil Lewis. We will also
see the much-anticipated scholarship awards.

Sunday morning's general session will begin with Braille is Beautiful and we
will hear from other blind people sharing their experiences.  Resolutions
will be voted on during the Sunday morning session.  Adjournment is
scheduled for 12:00 p.m. on October 24.

Advance registration for the convention made before October 8 is $5.
Registration and meal preferences after that date or at convention will
increase. This year you can register and pay online at
<http://www.nfbofillinois.org/> www.nfbofillinois.org.  If you need
assistance with registering online, please call Patti Chang at 773-307-6440
or David Meyer at 708-606-7091.

We will host a meeting for parents of blind children at 7 a.m. on Saturday.
The student business meeting will be held on Sunday morning at 7:00 a.m.
These are both breakfast meetings.

Two breakfasts are planned.  Their preregistration cost is $10.  We will
have two luncheons for all those interested in student and/or parent issues
on Saturday.  The cost for either luncheon will be $20 if you preregister.
The banquet on Saturday night will start at 7 p.m. and tickets will cost $30
with preregistration.

Those with special dietary needs for any of the meals should contact Patti
Chang, (773) 307-6440 or  <mailto:pattischang at gmail.com>
pattischang at gmail.com.  The deadline for such requests is October 8.

(childcare) has been cancelled and protocols for overnight events have been
approved by the Board of Directors of the National Federation of the Blind
of Illinois. Visit our website at  <http://www.nfbofillinois.org/>
www.nfbofillinois.org for more information about our response to Covid-19.

Federation conventions change the lives of blind and sighted people alike!
Don't miss out on this opportunity for change! Join us for our best
convention yet!  Come and live the life you want!!!

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org>