[IABS-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of April 25

Marilyn Green president at nfbofillinois.org
Fri Apr 29 13:27:28 UTC 2022

Critical Actions:

Upcoming May Presidential Release:

The next Presidential Release will take place Monday, May 2, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important
updates and perspectives
of the organized blind movement, and the live event includes a Q&A
session. Submit questions in advance to
cdanielsen at nfb.org
 and put PR516 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension
2473. The Zoom Meeting ID is 915 8304 3260 or use the following link:
https://zoom.us/j/91583043260.

News:

Volunteers Needed!

Are you interested in helping to make the 2022 National Convention a
huge success? You can help by volunteering in the Independence Market
at national
convention. We are currently looking for volunteers to serve as
demonstrators, storekeepers, pay-station representatives, and line
marshals during all
four days the market is open. The dates for the market are Wednesday,
July 6, through Saturday, July 9. We will be open on July 6 and 7 for
the entire
day and July 8 and 9 during the lunch period only.

The Independence Market at national convention would not be possible
without the support, dedication, and hard work of our numerous
volunteers. For more
information or to volunteer, please contact Jen White at 410-659-9314,
extension 2236, or email her at
jwhite at nfb.org
 today.

This Week—April Open-House Gathering Call for Non-Members:

The National Federation of the Blind invites blind people to learn
more about being a member and the benefits of membership on April 27,
2022, at 8:00
p.m. via Zoom. Share this opportunity to hear from active members and
leaders on the myths and uncertainties of the Federation.
Registration is still open for the April Open-House Gathering Call.

2022-23 Teachers of Tomorrow Program Application Deadline Coming Soon:

The deadline to apply to be part of the 2022-2023 Teachers of Tomorrow
cohort is May 1, 2022. Individuals in the United States who are
currently studying
to be teachers of blind students or career teachers who are currently
employed teaching blind/low-vision students in PK-12 settings are
encouraged to apply
for the next cohort of NFB Teachers of Tomorrow. This is an immersive,
professional development program that connects teachers of blind and
low-vision
students to the lived experiences of blind people. This program will
begin in the fall of 2022 and continue throughout the 2022-2023 school
year, culminating
in a gathering at our 2023 National Convention. For more information
and to apply visit
https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/teachers-tomorrow.

Letter to House Appropriations Committee Regarding Older Blind and
Randolph-Sheppard Programs:

On Monday, April 25 we sent a
letter to the chair and ranking member of the House Appropriations Committee
 to request an increase in funding for the Independent Living Services
for Older Blind Individuals (OIB) program, and an appropriation to
commission a
study on how to revitalize the Randolph-Sheppard Vending Facility
program. Currently the OIB program is woefully underfunded and we have
asked to increase
the appropriation to that program so that it can help provide the
training and tools needed for older blind Americans to live the life
they want. The funding
for the Randolph-Sheppard study would be a reassignment of funds
previously allocated for training and assistance. This money would
fund a study to identify
deficiencies and areas for improvement that states can use to create
new opportunities for blind merchants. This letter and all of our
other policy responses
can be read on the
Policy Statements page
 of our website.

Legislative Alert for the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act
(H.R. 4853):

Last week we sent out a legislative alert urging Federationists to
contact their member of the US House of Representatives and ask them
to cosponsor the
Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act. The House is now back in
session, so we need you to contact your representative and ask them to
sign on to
this critical piece of accessibility legislation that will give blind
Americans the ability to safely and independently care for themselves.
It is especially
important that you contact your representative if they are a
member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee,
to where the bill has been assigned. You can contact your member of
Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121.

NFB EQ Con Registration Deadline Approaching:

This year an NFB EQ Convention program will be offered at our national
convention for all those who participated in NFB EQ programs between
2018 and 2021.
Participants will have fun teaching art and engaging others at the
exhibit hall while participating in an insulation and roller coaster
challenge. Field
trips to the Pharmacy and Presbytère museums are also on the agenda
and even a STEM reunion event to catch up with old friends!
Parents/guardians will
also have the opportunity to participate in parent workshops,
networking, and the NOPBC annual conference.

The deadline to register for this opportunity is May 1, 2022. We hope
you will reach out to past NFB EQ participants in your affiliate to
encourage them
to take advantage of this opportunity. Please note that this
opportunity is only available to students who have participated in the
NFB EQ Program since
2018. Invitation emails have been sent to eligible students. For more
information, please email
stem at nfb.org.

Seeking Teachers for NFB BELL® Academy:

We are seeking teachers with a positive philosophy about blindness to
work in several of our in-person NFB BELL Academy sites across the
country, and remotely
as part of our NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition.  If you have teachers
in your affiliate who might be interested, please have them email
bell at nfb.org
 to get more information about the various opportunities that are available.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

·      April 27:
Successfully Employed Blind Educator Panel

·      May 1: Deadline for
Distinguished Educator of Blind Students award

·      May1:
Teachers of Tomorrow program application
 deadline

·      May 1: Give20 Convention Drawing Opens

·      May 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

·      May 31:
Convention registration
 closes

·      July 5-10:
National Convention,
New Orleans

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396
president at nfbofillinois.org
www.nfbofillinois.org
Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of
members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the
nation’s blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live
the lives they want.