[IABS-Talk] Chicago Chapter Minutes, June 10, 2023

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Tue Aug 8 04:36:14 UTC 2023

CHICAGO CHAPTER MINUTES

June 10, 2023

CALL TO ORDER

Chicago Chapter President Denise Avant called the meeting to order at  1:02
PM. She reminded people to wear masks when not eating or drinking in order
to protect everyone's health. She invited  anyone who wished to pay dues or
to join the chapter to see Kira O'Bradovitch.

We recently learned of the passing of member Adam Kosarowicz, and Denise
asked for a moment of silence in his memory. Adam attended several chapter
meetings in 2010, and he returned in December 2022 after receiving a kidney
transplant.

Attending in person were Michal Nowicki, Marco Giannotti, Kira O'Bradovitch,
Mary Grunwald, Debbie Stein, Ken Schad, Eileen Truschke, Jemal Powell, Bruce
Paul, Gary Jones, Steve Hastalis, Paul Shepherdson, Michelle Ault, Ken
Borst, Dan Tevelde, Chris Milsap, Howard Wilson, Ed Birmingham, Sara Luna,
Melissa Fuller, and Robert Hansen. On Zoom were Linda Hendle, Bob Lee, and
Bob Widman. Jemal noted that his father is out of the hospital and doing
physical therapy. Mary let everyone know that Bill Reif is in the hospital.

PRESENTATION

Michiel Janssen gave a detailed presentation about Oko, a new iOS app for
gaining information about traffic. Oko is an app developed by the Belgian
company Ayes. It can be used with or without the availability of audible
traffic signals. The system uses artificial intelligence to seek out "Walk,"
"Don't Walk," and countdown signals at traffic lights. The phone provides
audible signals as well as vibrations to indicate when the street can be
crossed safely. It still needs to be used  in conjunction with a cane and
other tools. Feedback can help users make straight street crossings. It is
supported by iPhone 8 and above. You can learn more about Oko by visiting
https://www.ayes.ai.

PRESIDENTIAL RELEASE

NFB President Mark Riccobono delivered Presidential Release 528, recorded on
June 1. He recorded the release in Wellington, New Zealand, where he was
attending a meeting of the World Blind Union.

Legislation: The House companion bill for the Access Technology
Affordability Act launched in May with bipartisan support. It is HR 3702.
The 2024 Washington Seminar will run from January 29 through February 1.

Pride Month: President Riccobono reminded members that we have an LGBTQ+
group to provide mentorship and support and to share information with the
community. The group has a weekly Zoom meeting on Thursday evenings.
President Riccobono called on us all to recognize that our LGBTQ members
faced intersecting levels of discrimination. He urged us all to recognize
the feelings of our LGBTQ members to travel to Texas for convention, as they
may feel at some risk in that environment. We want Convention to be a
welcoming and safe space for all of us.

National Convention: Convention will be held July 1-6 in Houston, Texas. A
virtual convention experience will be held on Zoom for those who can't
attend in person. It includes three pre-convention activities on July 1, 2,
and 3. It will include the meeting of the Resolutions Committee, the NFB
Board meeting, all General  Sessions, and the Federation Banquet. Banquet
parties are encouraged.

Information about tours is available at nfbtx.org.

Among other news, President  Riccobono reported that Karen Samuelson, a
former Illinoisian, passed away in Colorado on May 14. She moved to Colorado
after she attended the CCB. She was a founding member of the Mile High
Chapter in Denver.

STATE PRESIDENT'S REPORT

Debbie Stein reported that BELL Academy is still open to applications for
students and volunteers. The next NFBI board meeting will be held on Monday,
June 19. The face-to-face board meeting will take place on Saturday, August
19, at the Naperville Marriott, which is also our state convention hotel.
You can make room reservations by calling 630-505-4900; ask for National
Federation of the Blind of Illinois room rates. Rooms are $119 per night
plus taxes. State Convention will take place Friday and Saturday, October 13
and 14.

Dan O'Rourke will arrive in Chicago on his Ride for Literacy in the first
week in September.

LEGISLATION

Denise explained that the Access Technology Affordability Act is HR 3702 in
the House and S 1467 in the Senate. In the last Congress we had fifteen
cosponsors from Illinois, so we need to get those people on board again. The
Medical Device Accessibility Act was introduced by Rep. Jan Schakowski on
March 1 as HR 1328. We had thirteen original cosponsors, four of them from
Illinois: Sean Casten, Danny Davis, Jesús García, and Mike Quigley. Raja
Krishnamoorthi signed on two weeks later. Now we have forty-eight
cosponsors, forty-four Democrats and four Republicans. The Transformation to
Competitive and Integrated Employment Act in the Senate has only one
cosponsor, who is not from Illinois. The House companion bill is HR 1263,
which has fifteen cosponsors, none of them Illinoisians.

We were unable to get the electronic ballot return bill introduced into the
election bill in the Illinois Assembly. We are planning strategies to get it
passed in 2024 so we will have the ability to return our ballots
electronically.

SECRETARY'S MINUTES

The May Secretary's Minutes were posted on the listservs and NFB Newsline.
Ken Borst moved and Jemal Powell seconded approval. The minutes were
approved unanimously.

TREASURER'S REPORT

Kira O'Bradovitch said that on April 1 we had $5,057.55. Since then income
comes to $531.78. Expenses amount to $2300. As of June 9 we have $3,459.31
in the treasury. We will add $306.50 today, which means the current balance
will be $3,545.81. This is not an official quarterly report.

CHICAGO CHAPTER ADVOCACY COMMITTEE

Kira reported a meeting with Max Faber from the Chicago Board of Elections.
We are trying to encourage training of poll workers in the use of the
accessible features on voting equipment. The committee is also concerned
with signage and announcements on CTA buses. Buses are now supposed to emit
a sound when they make turns. We need to report instances where bus drivers
do not play the announcements or play them at severely reduced volume. On
the listservs Kira will send out the information about where to file
reports. We will attend some Wayfinding Committee meetings and  probably
make a public statement about signage at bus stops. If you file a report,
let them know the route and bus number where you had an issue. The next
Legislative Committee meeting will be on June 20.

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE

Denise reported that Dave Meyer says there will be a fundraiser at Fireside
Bowl on August 5. THE address is 2648 W. Fullerton in Chicago. The price is
$35 per person. Information will be posted on the listservs.

NEW BUSINESS

The board suggested that the chapter host its annual picnic on Saturday,
July 29, at the Lincoln Park Zoo, from 12:30 to 3:30 or 4. Jemal moved and
Robert seconded a motion to hold a chapter picnic. The motion passed
unanimously. Denise encouraged people to reach out to friends and relations.
Everyone is welcome.

The board also voted to take part in the Vision Expo hosted by Blind Service
Association on October 7. We can have a table from 8 to 5, giving out
information  about the NFB. We will ask people to work at the Expo.

Denise asked everyone to keep Gina Falvo in our thoughts and prayers, as she
is dealing with another bout of breast cancer.

ADJOURNMENT

The meeting adjourned at 3:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Debbie Stein, Secretary