[IABS-Talk] at large chapter minutes January 2023

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Thu Feb 2 20:34:46 UTC 2023

Minutes of meeting held Tuesday January 10th, 2023

Members present: Vice President Linda Hendle, Secretary Bill Reif,
Debbie Pittman, Michelle Alt, Cathy Randall, Ken Schad, Yvonne Agyarko,
Jemal Powell and Eileen Truschke. President Dave Meyer was unable to
attend due to a meeting at a conflicting time.

The meeting began with presentation of the program on accessible
technology devices. Sam Seavey, who runs the Youtube channel The Blind
Life, presented two apps helping to identify products. The first such
app is digit-eyes, which allows one to print QR codes to which voice
labels can be assigned that identify the product and provide related
information such as color or preparation instructions when the code is
scanned. The app costs $9. Another app called Way Around uses labels
with near field communication technology which are durable and more
easily scanned. The final product presented was an accessible power
bank, available through AT Guys, from which phones or other electronics
can be charged. Voice prompts allow the user to determine the
percentage of total power remaining.

Debbie moved, and Ken seconded, that the minutes for the December 2022
meeting be approved. The motion passed.

Presidential Release 523 was presented. President Riccobono noted it
was then January 4th, which is World Braille Day. Information on NFB
Braille initiatives can be found at the web site Braille.day.
Nominations are being solicited for the Jacob Bolotin award, which
honors the first blind doctor. Bolotin Committee Chair Everitt Bacon
can be emailed at bolotin.award at nfb.org or called at 801-631-8108. Our
BELL program is seeking participants for its fifteenth year. A
three-week BELL At Home edition will be offered in addition to the many
affiliate in person programs. Visit nfb.org/bell for more info.
Washington Seminar fact sheets are now available at
nfb.org/washington-seminar. On December 29th, Biden signed the Able
Act, which increases the eligibility age for social security recipients
to establish an ABLE account for assistive technology from age 26 to
age 46. Our national convention is from July 1st through July 6th in
the Houston Hilton with the Marriott as an overflow hotel. Reservations
can be made at 800-236-2905 or the Marriott at 877-622-3056. Please
send convention agenda ideas. Mark noted the passing last November of
Illinois At Large Member Maurice Tantor. He also noted the recent
passing of Scott LeBarre, who engaged in considerable legal advocacy on
behalf of the federation. the National Board voted to establish the Lebarre
Leadership and Justice Fund, the purpose of which will be determined
based on contributions.

Marilyn presented the State Report. We have six people participating in
Washington Seminar, including At Large Member Michelle Alt. Our Student
Seminar is scheduled March 24-26th. Deadline to apply for state
Scholarship deadline is May 31st. Illinois will again be providing BELL
programs in Chicago and Springfield. We are seeking students and two
teachers. Finally: she reported our State Convention will be the second
weekend in October. The format will differ from that of previous years,
with the convention beginning Friday morning and adjourning Saturday
night after the banquet.

We discussed the Doublegood popcorn fund raiser conducted twice by the
At Large Chapter. The agenda included a proposal that proceeds of a
future Doublegood fund raiser be divided with the Chicago Chapter.
Debbie moved, and Bill seconded, that proceeds remain with the At Large
Chapter. The motion passed unanimously. Debbie moved, and Ken seconded,
that the Doublegood fund raiser be conducted on dates in March and
September. This motion passed.

The next meeting will be conducted on Sunday February fifth at 7:00 PM.

The meeting adjourned at 8:40 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Bill Reif, Secretary