[IABS-Talk] at large february minutes

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Thu Feb 23 20:39:17 UTC 2023

At Large Chapter

Minutes of meting held Sunday February 5th, 2023

Members Present: President Dave Meyer, Vice President Linda Hendle,
Secretary/Treasurer Bill Reif, Debbie Pittman, Pat Olson, Dustin
Cather, Marilyn Green, Glenn Moore, Leslie Hamrick, Kyle Chellino,
Eileen Truschke, Ken Schad, Michelle Alt, Yvonne Agyarko, Teresa
Fabray, Tasabril (Abu) Alfocki and Jemal Powell.

The meeting began with Debbies presentation of the program. Three
first-time participants in the NFB Washington Seminar, Teresa Fabray,
Michel Alt, and Abu,  shared their impressions and experiences. All
found the Great Gathering In presentations very powerful, highlighting
our place in making the important changes we have made through history
and hoped to make through their meetings. Abu particularly appreciated
knowing that in the U.S., she had status as a blind woman she did not
have in  Saudi Arabia. She also observed that congress people are not
as scary or mean as she would have imagined. She also noted the love
and support she felt throughout the experience. Teresa likewise noted
how opportunities for the blind here contrast with those available in
Mexico, and the strength she draws through our organization here. She
also noticed how the work we have done previously helped congress
people be more empathetic and understanding. Finally: she commented on
how the Illinois affiliates organizational skills allowed 7 people to
efficiently complete appointments.

Debbie moved, and Yvonne seconded, approval of the January minutes
which had been emailed and distributed via NFB Newsline. The motion passed.

Bill demonstrated, while screen sharing, the process of visiting the
Illinois General Assembly web page at ilga.gov, locating the find my
elected representatives link, and navigating the page used to locate
federal and state representatives and district numbers assigned to
those at the searched address. This information will be necessary to
follow up on work done at Washington Seminar and any initiatives we may
take regarding state legislation. Debbie noted that she has a list of
state and federal representatives and their contact info, and that
Tammy Duckworth has been generally supportive of our issues. Dustin
will be meeting with Senator Derbins staff on Wednesday February eighth.

Presidential Release 524 for February was presented from the studio.
Riccobono shared part of the Great Gathering In meeting and highlighted
the three issues we are bringing to the attention of congress. Those
issues include our access to web sites, to medical div ices, and to
Social Security regulations which create financial hardship as we
advance our careers. Because we are organize on the state and local
levels, these efforts will take place on the state and local levels.
Fact sheets are available at www.nfb.org/washington-seminar. Four
affiliates, including the NFBI, have pledged to contribute $50,000
toward the establishment of the Museum of the Blind Peoples Movement.
Two million dollars has already been pledged. The next presidential
release will take place March 1, 2023

Marilyn presented the State Report. We should soon start receiving
emails from Dustin Cather and Denise Avant regarding Washington Seminar
follow up. Midwest Student Seminar will be March 24 through March 26th
at the Holiday Inn Ohare. Students with open DHS cases may be eligible
for financial assistance. Others needing assistance may wish to
complete a Chappel application. Seminar Chappel-Dennis assistance
application deadline is February 25th, with the Seminar attendance
application deadline on March 1st. Our BELL program is scheduled for
July 17-28 at the Chicago Lighthouse and July 31 through August 4th in
Springfield. Those knowing of parents who want to apply should
encourage them to contact Debbie Stein. Those interested in mentoring
students should also contact Debbie. Our National Convention will take
place July 1st through July 6th. Information is available at
www.nfb.org/convention. Chappel-Dennis assistance will be available.
State Convention will take place on October 13-14 at the Chicago
Marriott Naperville. Convention rate will be available Thursday through
Saturday nights.

At Large will conduct its Doublegood Fund Raiser March 3-5. We should
also post to social media, text message, and via email. We will also
forward it to David Andrews for dissemination to all NFB lists.

Next Chapter Meeting will be Sunday March fifth. Our election for all
officers and two Board members will take place at the April meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 8:50.

Respectfully Submitted,
Bill Reif, Secretary