[IABS-Talk] at large minutes may 2023

David Meyer datemeyer at mysero.net
Tue Jul 18 12:11:11 UTC 2023

Minutes of meeting held May 7th, 2023

Members Present: President Dave Meyer, Vice President Linda Hendle,
Cathy Randall, Debbie Pittman, Marilyn Green, Michelle Alt, Kyle
Chellino and Danny Mandrell. Secretary Bill Reif was not in attendance,
and submits these minutes based on his review of a recording thereof.

Technical issues prevented Debbie from presenting a program item, a
recording of a presentation by the Diabetic Action Network of Ohio.

Cathy Randal made some extemporaneous remarks about Nautilus equipment,
which is used in many fitness or YMCA clubs and allows one to exercise
without some of the problems and dangers associated with free weights.
She has used this equipment for about eight years after a volunteer
showed her how to use and adjust it. Cathy said she has lost about 16
pounds, this while building muscle which actually weighs more than fat.
She has also noticed she has gained strength through Nautilus training,
finding groceries much easier to carry. There are about 13 types of
Nautilus equipment she uses to strengthen various parts of her body.
She also does a lot of spinning (using a stationary bike) in Illinois
and water aerobics while in Florida where she has pool access.

Kyle moved, and Debbie seconded, approval of the April minutes which
had been distributed on il-talk and on Newsline. Motion passed.

the May Presidential Release 527 was presented.  President Riccobono
began by encouraging those looking for employment to visit nfb.org and
search for the careers link. The NFB will be reducing its social media
presence on Twitter, due to many negative developments including their
elimination of staff devoted to site accessibility and disabling
third-party app's that made Twitter more accessible. Twitter has also
changed the way in which accounts are verified, requiring payment and
making verification much less secure. The NFB will maintain a Twitter
presence, but will move most postings to the Mastodon platform.
Federationists are invited to install a Mastodon client and to follow
nationsblind at nfb.social. Those with tips and tricks or ideas of what
the community should be can email mastodon at nfb.org.

There have been many stories lately regarding guide dog users who have
faced discrimination. Lizzie was recently denied boarding on Jet Blue
due to her use of a guide dog. Recent rule changes designed to exclude
animals other than service animals are part of the problem, and we are
addressing the Department of Transportation. Those who encounter
discrimination due to their guide dog are asked to email Al Elia at
elia at NAGDU.org. You should also immediately file a complaint with the
Department of Transportation.

Marilyn presented the State Report, urging people to pre register by
May 31st. She mentioned the three Bell programs, Chicago, Springfield
and the Bell At Home program, urging those interested in participating
or mentoring to contact Debbie Stein. We plan to award at least two
Illinois scholarships of $5,000 each. Those interested need to apply by
May 31st. Our face-to-face Board Meeting will be August 19th at the
Chicago Marriott Naperville. Room rate for both the Board Meeting and
our October 13th through 14th State Convention is $119 plus taxes. That
rate for convention is also available Thursday October -12th and Sunday
October 13th.

Our current balance is $1,186 and change, with another $170 donations
associated with the Popcorn Fund Raiser. Cathy moved, and Linda
seconded, that At Large contribute $100 each toward the NFB's Kenneth
Jernigan, White Cane, Tenbroek and Sun Funds. The motion passed.

Debbie and Dave urged those who pledged contributions for the Popcorn
Fund Raiser to get them in by May 31st.

Cathy Randall urged members to put the NFBI in our respective wills.

Debbie reported she and Michelle presented at ICRI-Wood. She also said
a question came up regarding job placement. It was discussed that Dick
Davis or Susan Turner, both of which are on the NFB Employment
Committee, may be asked to present to a meeting.

Our next meeting will take place on June 4th, 2023. Kyle  moved, and
Linda seconded, that the July meeting be canceled due to it falling
during National Convention. the motion passed.

The meeting adjournment time was not indicated in the recording.

Respectfully Submitted,
Bill Reif, Secretary