[IABS-Talk] Chicago Chapter Minutes, September 9, 2023

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Fri Nov 3 03:24:06 UTC 2023

CHICAGO CHAPTER MEETING MINUTES

September 9, 2023

Exchequer pub and Restaurant

226 S. Wabash, Chicago, IL

CALL TO ORDER

Chicago Chapter President Denise Avant called the meeting to order at 1:15
pm. The meeting began with a moment of silence to remember those who lost
their lives in the September 11 attack on the World Trade Towers. Denise
extended a big thank-you to everyone who came out on Thursday, September 7,
for the Presidential Release live recording. She also thanked everyone who
walked yesterday from Wabash and Adams to the Chicago Public Library and
turned out for the Ride for Literacy event. We plan to link to the
presentations on nfbofillinois.org. This historic event was a special moment
for our chapter and our affiliate.

We then moved on to introductions. Present in person were Denise Avant,
Marco Giannotti, Debbie Stein, Patti Chang, Francisco Chang, first-timer
Cindy Balmora, David Meyer, Ellen Bartelt, Marilyn Green, Eileen Truschke,
Ken Schad, Bill Reif, Jemal Powell, Ken Borst, Gary Jones, Dan Tevelde,
Chris Milsap, Sara Luna, Paul Shepherdson, Pam Gillmore, Melissa Fuller,
Glenn Moore, Dustin Cather, Steve Hastalis, and Howard Wilson. On Zoom were
Gina Falvo, Pat Waltoff, Bob Widman, Kira O'Bradovitch, and Pam Provost.

Ellen Bartelt reported that she has accepted a teaching position in Boston.
Eileen shared that Roberta Glickman passed away on August 22. She had been a
member since 1974. Gary Jones said he has clocked 50 miles in the pool since
August. Everyone welcomed Pat Waltoff, who said she joined the NFB in 1969.
She was thrilled to be with us and hopes Chicago will host another national
convention. Denise encouraged people to pay their annual dues of $5.

PROGRAM

Patti Chang introduced the program, which was based on a New York Times
article by Andrew Leland. Debbie Stein read the piece aloud: "Will AI Make
Me More Independent? Is That Good?" Patti did a quick survey, asking how
many people had used Be My Eyes or Aira. More than half of the people in the
room responded positively. Cindy Balmora expressed concern about increased
isolation replacing human interaction. Bill said that when he worked for the
attorney general's office he asked for a scanner and computer. The memo
requesting the equipment said it would make him totally independent, with no
need to interact with anyone. We have to struggle out from behind that wall.
Marilyn said that the article made her think about how she reads, which is
mainly through synthesized speech. With a reader she can identify exactly
the bits of information she needs.

Jemal said that technology can break down or be stolen. We need a balanced
approach, using it when it's efficient for us. Debbie pointed out that when
she deals with a human reader through Aira or Be My Eyes she can specify the
information she needs. Using this technology frees us up to interact with
the world in other ways. Patti said Seeing AI has become very good at
detecting colors. AI is one tool in the toolbox. Leland's comments about
interdependence are reminiscent of Dr. Jernigan's speech, "The Nature of
Independence." Chris Milsap pointed out that the technology is being
overhyped right now, which often happens when something is new. Dan noted
the unintended consequences of technology. We use our phones for everything
except talking. We come to our chapter meetings because being together
really matters.

PRESIDENTIAL RELEASE

We did not play the Presidential Release because so many people heard it
live. It is available online at nfb.org.

STATE REPORT

NFBI President Marilyn Green announced that the convention registration link
is now live. She urged people to register as soon as possible. We will hold
convention on Friday and Saturday, October 13 and 14. The Exhibit Hall will
run all day Friday and on Saturday afternoon. Our theme is "Rooted in
Philosophy." The registration fee is $5.00, plus meals. Our national
representative will be Kevan Worley from Colorado, and our NABS rep will be
Joshua Olukanni. One of our breakout sessions will involve personal safety,
led by Amy Wilson of Missouri.

Our convention will be at the Chicago Marriott Naperville Hotel in
Naperville. If you have trouble making your room reservation, contact Patti
at pattischang at gmail.com or 773-307-6440. If you double-pay for something,
do not contest the charge with your charge company. Call Patti, and your
money will be refunded.

Braille agendas will be available at convention. If you're looking for a
roommate, post to IL-Talk. If you book a room and decide to make other
arrangements, do not cancel your room! Someone can probably use it, so let
Marilyn know!

Debbie Stein announced that we will have Braille Is Beautiful at convention.
There are big, medium, and small parts. The reading will be pre-recorded and
played at convention.

We have two state scholarship finalists, Charlie Miller and John Holtgreve.
We also are awarding a convention scholarship to Emily Sczewczyk, someone
who is brand-new to us. We hope that people will reach out to them all and
help them feel welcome.

WASHINGTON SEMINAR 2024

Washington Seminar will begin on January 29, 2024. This is our chance to
talk to our representatives on the Hill about matters of importance to us.
Applications are due on December 1. Melissa Fuller asked whether a person
can attend if they pay their own way. Marilyn said you can, but you need to
attend the trainings that are required for everyone else. Trainings take
place early in January.

SECRETARY'S MINUTES

The minutes from the August 12 meeting were posted on IL-Talk and Newsline.
The minutes were approved unanimously.

TREASURER'S REPORT

Treasurer Kira O'Bradovitch gave the second quarter treasurer's report. On
April 1, 2023, we had a balance of $5,057.55. Second quarter income came to
$597.26. Expenses came to $2,805.27, with a final balance of $3,409.31.
Ellen moved and Steve seconded to approve the report. The report was
approved unanimously.

Denise noted that the board approved a thousand-dollar donation for Fifteen
for Funds. Marilyn moved and Ellen seconded approval. The donation was
approved.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Advocacy: Kira reported that the Advocacy Committee is working primarily on
transit. They are working to get more information at bus stops. Sara Luna is
serving on the CTA Committee and is seeking audible information on signs as
well as announcements on the buses and at El stations. The committee will
meet again on September 20. The committee is also concerned with employment
of people with disabilities in city departments.

Fundraising: David Meyer thanked everyone who took part in the bowling
fundraiser. Everyone had a good time, and we brought in significant funds.
We will have our annual Read-a-Thon on Saturday, October 28. The cost to
read is $10, but if you raise more money from sponsors your admission fee is
waived. On November 15 we will  have a fundraiser at Beggar's Pizza, 310 S.
Clinton. The Metro Chicago Chapter of ACB will have a Beggars fundraiser on
September 20, and we should support them as they often support us. Denise
noted that the board voted to continue with our December auction and Games
Night in January.

NEW BUSINESS

The theme for the Battle of the Chapters at IABS Idol will be snacks. "Candy
Man" was voted as the Chicago Chapter entry.

Blind Service Chicago will host a vision expo on October 7 at 720 S.
Michigan. NFBI will have a table where we will hand out One Minute Message
cards. We will also have further resources about who we are and about other
helpful organizations. Glenn and Michelle will staff our table in the
morning. Ken Borst and Steve Hastalis will cover the afternoon. Pam Provost
offered to volunteer in the morning, which will be helpful, as she is a
Braille reader.

ADJOURNMENT

Dave moved and Marilyn seconded to adjourn. The meeting adjourned at 2:11
PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Debbie Stein, Secretary