[IABS-Talk] february at large minutes

datemeyer at sbcglobal.net datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 29 22:19:39 UTC 2024

National Federation of the Blind of Illinois At Large Chapter

Minutes of meeting held Sunday, February 4th, 2024

Members present: President Dave Meyer, Vice President Linda Hendle, Debbie
Pittman, Ken Schad, Cathy Randall, Michal Nowicki, Marilyn Green, Pat Olson,
Bill Reif, Kyle Chellino, Yvonne Agyarko, Leslie Hamrick, Michelle Alt, and
Dan Teveldi.

Linda Hendle presided over the meeting. Kyle moved, and Cathy seconded,
approval of the January minutes. The motion passed.

Kyle presented the program, a discussion of a mobility device called the
Mini Guide. The device can fit in to the palm, and produces a directional
laser that will allow the user to determine the objects direction, size and
distance. The guide vibrates to convey this information. Kyle said it can be
used to assess traffic movement and location during street crossings. Leslie
noted the device can be purchased through Independent Living Aids for $499.

Presidential Release:

Presidential Release 535 was presented. This began with a summary of the
much more comprehensive Great Gathering In event presented at the Washington
Seminar which had a fantastic in-person attendance including many students
and over 400 meetings on the hill. We are called on to keep the pressure on
congress members to cosponsor our legislation. Our congressional reception
featured a record 13 presenters, including Pete Sessions who announced he
plans to be the lead sponsor for the Blind Persons Return to Work Act.

January 30th is the 20th anniversary of the opening of the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute. We are urged to submit our
stories of overcoming barriers of our experiences. Stories should be emailed
to story at nfb.org <mailto:story at nfb.org>  or leave a voice mail at 4 1 0-6 5
9-9 3 1 4 extension 2444.

Our technology group had Mark announce that starting this month, Gmail will
be automatically transitioning the web interface from the basic HTML version
to what they call the standard version. If you use a screen reader to access
email through the web, our technology group wants you to know that the
standard version of Gmail is accessible and our group has put together some
documents to help manage that transition and make you feel more comfortable
with the fact that the standard Gmail is accessible. You can go to
nfb.org/cena. Thats for our Center of Excellence and Non-Visual Access.

State Presidential Report:

Marilyn reported that we had seven members attend Washington Seminar, and
appointments went very well. We are urged to follow up with our Illinois
representatives.

National Convention will take place July 3rd through July 8th in Orlando FL
at the Rosen Center. Room rates are $129 singles and doubles and $139
triples or quads. Check upcoming Braille Monitor issues for further
Convention information.

Deadline to apply for one of 30 $8,000 National Scholarship is March 31 at
11:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time. State scholarship deadline is April 30th,
11:59 Central Daylight Time. Visit www.nfb.org/scholarships
<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>  for the National application or
www.nfbofillinois.org/scholarships
<http://www.nfbofillinois.org/scholarships>  for the Illinois application.
Illinois will award at least one $5,000 scholarship.

Springfield BELL will begin the week of July 15th. Chicago BELL will take
place July 22nd through August 2nd. Children ages 4 through 12 may
participate. Email Debbie stein at dkent5817 at att.net
<mailto:dkent5817 at att.net>  or call 7 7 3-2 0 3-1 3 9 4. We are looking for
eligible

children and blind mentors.

State convention will be the weekend of October 17th at the Chicago Marriott
Naperville.

Marilyn announced she is the new chair of the PAC Plan committee.

Fund Raising:

Debbie is still awaiting the link for the Honey Baked Ham fund raiser. Dave
moved, and Cathy seconded, that the fund raiser take place from March first
through May 31, 2024. Motion passed.

Old Business:

Bill reminded the membership of our upcoming April election.

Our next meeting is scheduled Sunday, March 3rd at 7:00 PM at the zoom link
https://zoom.us/j/3123438396?pwd=ZFVJeW8zZDNrV0p0RmpWME83Zm85UT09. Sara Luna
will speak of her Washington Seminar experience.

The meeting adjourned at 8:05 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Reif, Secretary