[IABS-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of 01/08/2024

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Tue Jan 9 20:02:43 UTC 2024

News:

January Presidential Release Chapter Version:

The National Federation of the Blind
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fpresidential-releases&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw070-a89QjTh-TJrWS
JM5Zl> Presidential Release #534 is available. Please note that the February
Presidential Release will not be live. Please encourage members to attend
the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fwashington-seminar&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2R7hJfxbBbgNNy6RqxZ2yb>
Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In on Monday, January 29, 2024, at 5:00
p.m., eastern. The February Presidential Release recording will be made
available by February 2, 2024.

Member Profile:

We are hearing good things from the members that are accessing their member
profile. All members with unique email addresses should have an account. The
login is the member's email address that we have connected to their
membership. If someone hasn't logged in yet, they can go to
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3rAR
gQNfKsAb7ub-51jLqM> nfb.org and select Members. Their username is the email
address associated with their membership. Select Change Password to set it.
If anyone has questions, they should send an email to
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1deoer5dsr7lw/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=membership@
nfb.org> membership at nfb.org.

2023 Donation Tax Summaries:

Thank you to everyone who supported the Federation in 2023. Annual PAC
summaries will be sent out later this month. If you also made a general
donation and would like that total added to your letter, or if you have any
questions, please contact
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1deoer5dsr7lw/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=outreach@nf
b.org> outreach at nfb.org.

Do You Know Someone Who Uses Our Advocacy Toolkits?:

We are seeking to identify someone who is using one of our advocacy toolkits
listed below. If you know of someone who has used one of our toolkits,
please contact Patti Chang at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1deoer5dsr7lw/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=pchang@nfb.
org> pchang at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2422. Our current toolkits
are:

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fadvocacy-resources%2Fblind-parents-essential-guide-effective-commun
ication&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2P78QvOkL45qwl2KfGkh4o> Blind Parent's
Essential Guide to Effective Communication from Public and Private Schools

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fce
nter-excellence-nonvisual-access%2Fhigher-education-accessibility-online-res
ource&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw076heZIeMyjZtfIRmYnlBX> Higher Education
Accessibility Online Resource Center

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fadvocacy-resources%2Fself-advocacy-higher-education-toolkit&sa=D&sn
tz=1&usg=AOvVaw3r-vRe86gg_FyiJ4Hx1mtR> Self-Advocacy in Higher Education
Toolkit Version 2.0

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fadvocacy-resources%2Fself-advocacy-employment-toolkit&sa=D&sntz=1&u
sg=AOvVaw192cLDkoJmeAcmG_4rV5WP> Self-Advocacy in Employment Toolkit

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fadvocacy-resources%2Fself-advocacy-employment-toolkit%2Fherramienta
s-de&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0oN-C-Vp5YCBiXNuCCa6l_> Herramientas de
autodefensa en el empleo

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fadvocacy-resources%2Fhigh-stakes-testing-self-advocacy-toolkit&sa=D
&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2WQ-cIvqsZqI3O8M3WvqH-> High-Stakes Testing Self-Advocacy
Toolkit

Catch Up on Content:

Highlights, news, and stories are available in the most recent Braille
Monitor, Future Reflections, Nation's Blind Podcast, and Voice of the
Nation's Blind Blog. The following are National Federation of the Blind
publications for you to access and share with Federationists. These articles
and episodes are great to share on affiliate and division social media to
create discussions on various topics.

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fimages%2Fnfb%2Fpublica
tions%2Fbm%2Fbm24%2Fbm2401%2Fbm2401tc.htm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw385O3K6RKNbm
pCYFnEGJ-B> January Braille Monitor
*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fimages%2Fnfb%2Fpublica
tions%2Ffr%2Ffr42%2F4%2Ffr4204tc.htm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1M6rdzTpQ_3eMlAvy
tZ1o6> Future Reflections, Fall 2023
*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fnations-blind-podcast&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2WUpuwuoF9EMv8xhW
KHX7m> Nation's Blind Podcast episode, "AI and the Blind"
*	Blog articles,
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblog%2Freflecting-powe
r-collective-action&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3eDfgAVsEe0dMl9f0Ix0UM> Reflecting
on the Power of Collective Action and
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblog%2Fall-braille-rea
ders-are-leaders-blind-parents-journey&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1-OSwbWvp0myprE
AW_ou5E> All Braille Readers Are Leaders: A Blind Parent's Journey

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	Monday, January 29, 2024: Great Gathering-In
*	Tuesday, January 30, 2024: Congressional Reception (Washington
Seminar)
*	January 29-February 1, 2024:
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fad
vocacy%2Fwashington-seminar&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2R7hJfxbBbgNNy6RqxZ2yb>
Washington Seminar
*	April 15, 2024: Deadline for
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fsc
holarships-and-awards%2Fdr-jacob-bolotin-awards%2Fapplication-information&sa
=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw33OTCrsq2843D2Kf0s4SnV> Bolotin Award nominations
*	July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

 <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org> president at nfbofillinois.org

 <http://www.nfbofillinois.org> www.nfbofillinois.org

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.